2018/19 Kurt Zouma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't hold Zouma in the massive esteem many do, i used to before his injury and maybe now hes catching up somewhat, hes usefull to have though and there is a bit of headroom there. I think Mina is a far superior player.

That said he would be sensible addition in terms of continuity, congruence and longevity. I wouldn't be to despondent on our chances either, i would think Chelsea would value him at about 35 million, that seems fair to me given his age. He is probably at his top market price he has been in quite a long time and year on Chelseas bench or a loan to another team not us i very much doubt would see that price raise, so there is a bit of sense in Chelsea selling him.

I think we have much to offer the lad, you must get fed up moving around the country to different clubs, while i think he is the type of player who needs confidence and belonging, i think he gets that here, you couldnt get two more different clubs in terms of the personal touch then Everton and Chelsea.

It would be a pity for us and the lad if we didnt sign him, but i wouldn't be loosing to much sleep if we didnt either. I think Mina will prove far superior if im honest.

I wouldn't hold Zouma in the massive esteem many do, i used to before his injury and maybe now hes catching up somewhat, hes usefull to have though and there is a bit of headroom there. I think Mina is a far superior player.

That said he would be sensible addition in terms of continuity, congruence and longevity. I wouldn't be to despondent on our chances either, i would think Chelsea would value him at about 35 million, that seems fair to me given his age. He is probably at his top market price he has been in quite a long time and year on Chelseas bench or a loan to another team not us i very much doubt would see that price raise, so there is a bit of sense in Chelsea selling him.

I think we have much to offer the lad, you must get fed up moving around the country to different clubs, while i think he is the type of player who needs confidence and belonging, i think he gets that here, you couldnt get two more different clubs in terms of the personal touch then Everton and Chelsea.

It would be a pity for us and the lad if we didnt sign him, but i wouldn't be loosing to much sleep if we didnt either. I think Mina will prove far superior if im honest.

...yep, I still have lots of hope for Mina but I think he’ll be best alongside a player like Zouma. Mina has formed a decent partnership with Davinson Sanchez at international level, I think Zouma is ideal for Mina.

Not a Keane mate?

....I don’t think it’s a coincidence Keane has significantly improved since Zouma came in. Everything Keane lacks Zouma has. Zouma was a brilliant signing because we lacked real athleticism in the back four. I think he was acquired to play alongside Mina.

My preference is for a Mina/Zouma partnership but it’s unlikely to happen now. For next season, I suggest the choice is Mina or Keane alongside a player like Zouma.

I fear for a Mina/Keane partnership, any forward getting in behind will have a field day.

....I don’t think it’s a coincidence Keane has significantly improved since Zouma came in. Everything Keane lacks Zouma has. Zouma was a brilliant signing because we lacked real athleticism in the back four. I think he was acquired to play alongside Mina.

My preference is for a Mina/Zouma partnership but it’s unlikely to happen now. For next season, I suggest the choice is Mina or Keane alongside a player like Zouma. I fear for a Mina/Keane partnership, any forward getting in behind will have a field day.

Its a tight one, i always felt Keane had more in him then last season and have seen much more of that this, but likely a bit of truth in the gel in the partnership and complimenting qualities.

I think there is an inherent unlike perhaps subconsciously for players brought in by the last regime which sometimes i think judges players like Keane, Pickford, Sigurrdson etc harshly, i dont think its necessarily a conscious thing but i think it exists sublimely.

I think the turn around in our defensive record has been Marco recognising that neither Zouma or Keane are step out players, given the difficulty they have in recovery, we have sat deeper in the last 10 games and been more compact. Our midfilders have come deeper looking for the ball as well. Its worked in all honesty.

I see Mina as a player who can step out, he has an abundance of quality skill and technique, while its a high risk game for a centre back it can unlock a lot as well. I think Marco naturally wants to play that way. The thing with Mina for me is he is rolls royce, with the technical ability and quality he is also blessed with a physique that is physically imposing, obstacle creating but also athletic and mobile. he has almost every attribute both honed and naturally for a player in his position and i think his potential is incredible. I really dont like the Barca aspect of his deal and can never quite feel like he is actually our player. The sad reality is as the crow flies neither Mina nor Zouma could be Everton players in 2020/21, but that is hypothetical.

Where that all leaves us going forward is anyones guess really, there is a powerful axis and congruence in partnership the between Keane and Zouma, but Mina is top quality. You would have to assume further evolution, with the clean slate of next season, so while i think Marco has gone for safety at the back from Feb onwards as a necessity, its a tempter to go back to a more open build from the back and step out philosophy.

But first things first we have to secure all the chess pieces as our first order of business before we can even plan.

Last edited:

What do you base this on? He's hardly played since coming to Europe, interested to know what makes you think he's superior to Zouma?

What do you base this on? He's hardly played since coming to Europe, interested to know what makes you think he's superior to Zouma?

Watching him play mate, you can judge players on reputations or you can judge them on their observable skill sets and attributes then context, my opinion is based on the latter and my assessment is pretty much what i posted.

It’s not that strange, after Azpilicueta I think he’s played more minutes than anyone else in their squad.

I meant more the fact that they have left it so late and ive constantly read reports that Chelsea never offer more than 12months for over 30s.

Retaining him makes sense, as you say hes played almost all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.