2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think DCL is wreaking havoc, mostly because opposition teams know that he doesn't score goals-we just now have other players who have good finishing. Now if we had a striker who scores goals - that sort of threat really does wreak havoc.
Just as one example may suggest EPIB you watch the build up to the first goal against Burnley, he's doing this every game these days.

Rondon the same guy who scored a hat trick at WBA the the goals dried up........
He has had one good season, but the crosses he gets are far better than we supply DCL with also he plays with another striker at Newcastle.......
We are not struggling to score goals ATM ......apart from the blip at Fulham we are playing top 4 football........

Deluding yourself, mate. This team is having a purple patch right now but if we don't buy a top striker we will struggle to score goals. Bernard and Walcott haven't got over 5. Gueye and Gomez won't get more than a couple.

In a sense the end to this season is dangerous. People are going to think everything is is going along nicely but there are still big problems to address in our forward line.

I agree with the sentiment but unfortunately the honest pros don’t seem to win very much. We have always had class about what we do. Moyes has this in spades when he first came and i learned them that being nice only allows other players, clubs, uefa ,the FA , sky and it’s pundits to take the pish.

Remember clattenberg saying you do t give pens againat RS in the last minute? Moyes criticism of the ref , without going into details , should have had him charged and he could have shown how biased the fa is. Instead they didn’t charge him and it never came out , Wenger being a whinge bag about Johnson amd is having 10 stone wall pens turned down, Moyes then did the classy thing and sent a vid to the fa and they agreed most of them were pens, tapping up players by mangers , media and pundits selling our players etc. doing the right thing usually means getting walked on, look at English teams and England , players staying on their feet and not rolling around faking injuries , yet teams that dive, fake injuries and cheat always seem to get away with it. I mean look at cantona he didn’t even get banned by the FA , Man U banned him , Suarez has bitten about 3-4 people in front of millions and if I did that I would be charged with assault , Ferdinand missing a drugs test because he’s moving house and gets what 6 months? In other sports they get years. We have always had honest pros playing for ya since the prem began and we always get the bad decisions , red cards for tackes with no contact, refs sending a player off after someone like Gerard whispers to him, goals disallowed, they even rigged the CL mate.

DCL is a good honest pro that works hard and seems to genuinely realise how lucky he is to be a millionaire footballer. He’s like Coleman , jags, baines , Cahill etc in terms of attitude, but that doesn’t mean he’s good enough mate and that is the harsh reality, he cannot shoot and I don’t care what you say, you can’t have a striker that can’t shoot, it’s like having a CB that can’t head .

An honest pro from my perspective is someone who gives his all..... not someone who wont be cute.

DCL has won a pen at anfield and had Kyle walker sent off by knowing how to play the game.

I'm talking about honest pro's as men who give their all for the club first and foremost. The opposite being the likes of lukaku, mirallas, and Williams.

We’re people saying he was the next Scholes, Gerard,Lampard? Because that is half the reason Of the arguing in this topic. People have said he’s the next Kane etc and that’s the basic root of all the disagreements here

Joe Cole said Osman was the stand out player of his age group in England youth.... yet some know it alls said he wasnt good enough for Everton and Derby was his level.

DCL scored the winning goal in the world cup for England's youth.....he is highly rated by all coaches who work with him. Yes he is struggling in front of goal but some melts just wanna focus on that cos they want a marquee player to get signed.

You are obsessive about criticising him.... we are backing him in support of what we see he is offering right now. You are slating him based on what you think he can't be....... that's ridiculously negative.

I think rating him at £60m is wrong, but people underrate him too.

Young developing English striker with increasing physicality, good technique... he's worth £25-30m of anyone's money in today's game, and he's one good season away from being £50m+.

Of course, he could go the other way and stall completely, but people are writing him off too early. The key is he is visibly improving - that's a big thing, because you see young players be a Jordan Ibe flash in the pan and never get better.

Joe Cole said Osman was the stand out player of his age group in England youth.... yet some know it alls said he wasnt good enough for Everton and Derby was his level.

DCL scored the winning goal in the world cup for England's youth.....he is highly rated by all coaches who work with him. Yes he is struggling in front of goal but some melts just wanna focus on that cos they want a marquee player to get signed.

You are obsessive about criticising him.... we are backing him in support of what we see he is offering right now. You are slating him based on what you think he can't be....... that's ridiculously negative.
For what it’s worth, think Osman would have had a better career under someone else. Remember Moyes putting him on the right wing all the time? *shudders

Also like DCL, keep fighting the good fight ma man

You just hit the nail on the head mate , Rondon is more clinical than DCL, he’s better at holding the ball up but isn’t as quick or as good as pressing. Rondon has spent his whole career playing for teams below us in the league mate, he’s never played for a top 6 team and neither will DCL. The fact that’s he’s the best option despite the other two costing 40m is more a reflection of bad scouting from bobby and fat Sam mate. DCL is an outstanding success as a signing from a business perspective , there is no doubt in that. 1.5m was a great spot but he’s still not good enough

He will play more than 20 games next year and Everton will finish in the top six

I think rating him at £60m is wrong, but people underrate him too.

Young developing English striker with increasing physicality, good technique... he's worth £25-30m of anyone's money in today's game, and he's one good season away from being £50m+.

Of course, he could go the other way and stall completely, but people are writing him off too early. The key is he is visibly improving - that's a big thing, because you see young players be a Jordan Ibe flash in the pan and never get better.

Putting a price on DCL is like pricing a house in a part of London which is going through regeneration...... you may think You could get a decent enough price now but you have now idea what his potential price is going to be.

The two things he has going for him is

1. Athletic ability..... I don't think there are many better athletes as centre forward as him in terms of size strength leap and speed.

2. He learns.... he is improving areas of his game that are supposedly difficult. The one area to improve- finishing, can be improved. Once he gets a couple of goals it will improve his composure. It's a vicious circle.

Putting a price on DCL is like pricing a house in a part of London which is going through regeneration...... you may think You could get a decent enough price now but you have now idea what his potential price is going to be.

1. Athletic ability..... I don't think there are many better athletes as centre forward as him in terms of size strength leap and speed.

2. He learns.... he is improving areas of his game that are supposedly difficult. The one area to improve- finishing, can be improved. Once he gets a couple of goals it will improve his composure. It's a vicious circle.
The poor lad's going through a vicious circle on here Pedro.

Yes but £60m will be too big a gamble for anyone to take. And he's still a big gamble at his current showing.

I broadly agree with you, but I think you're assuming what he will be instead of seeing it as what he can be.

He can be worth £60m in a matter of 9 months or so, but he's obviously not worth it yet. Next season is make or break for him in terms of his career trajectory, even though he won't hit his peak until around 26-29.

Status
Not open for further replies.