Match Thread Crystal Palace v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have won today but I’m still seeing progress. Silva has sorted the defence out and we were a lucky deflection (or clinical striker) away from winning a game that we bossed.
It was all a little ‘Everton that’ imo. I know my next comment will meet opprobrium, but there remains the rank label of ‘losers’ about this club. Me?, I feel whilst the likes of Luvvy Bill, and our useless CEO, stink the gaff out, we’ll find it difficult to reach any escape velocity.
But I like Marco and Marcel...and by nature I’m a glass always full type of guy...

Yes I agree, terrible shout and crazy figure.

But genuine question, who do you honestly think we could sign that would immediately solve our final 3rd issues next season with no European football on offer?

In no way would Vardy be an "investment for the future", but it would at least plug a hole and help with the 8-10 goals we need from our deflating 0-0s
Screw it, Perez will do

Was really not a bad performance at all just frustrated by a team that parked the bus, and some dodgy finishing. Clean sheet and complete domination against palace away is really not that bad.

I think Europe-lite would be a real curse anyway especially for the manager who would get all the blame and drowned in a sea of gleeful told you so's.

We need to get the wrinkles ironed out before thinking about Europe. Whoever gets that place will only be easier to beat next season! I hope it's not us!

I'd rather get 2 or 3 good seasons out of him than carry on with DCL and Tosun leading the line. I just saw he signed his new contract pre-season so meh. Who else we got to pick from? Salvage Mitrovic?

So you offer him a 3 or 4 year contract at top wages. What happens when his legs go and he's utterly ineffective? That could happen at any time. No resale value, little to no value in the team once he loses his pace. He's a very good player but it doesn't seem like the best use of limited resources to be honest.

So you offer him a 3 or 4 year contract at top wages. What happens when his legs go and he's utterly ineffective? That could happen at any time. No resale value, little to no value in the team once he loses his pace. He's a very good player but it doesn't seem like the best use of limited resources to be honest.

MLS will take him. But yes I get exactly where you're coming from. Not sure how you would make it all add up on the balance sheet, but if it gets you in amongst the top 6 for the next 3 seasons, does it really matter?

But genuine question, who do you honestly think we could sign that would immediately solve our final 3rd issues next season with no European football on offer?

In no way would Vardy be an "investment for the future", but it would at least plug a hole and help with the 8-10 goals we need from our deflating 0-0s

Sorry, just seen this, ignore my last post.

If you wanted an immediate fix I'd avoid the outright expensive goal machines and go for Rondon who has a 15m release clause and who was instrumental in keeping Newcastle up. He looks like the type who gets more out of others and I think Gylfi, Richarlison, Walcott, Bernard, Lookman etc could all benefit from his flicks and lay offs. With him and DCL for the central role Tosun could be sold and Richarlison could start wide where he's more effective.

Boring I know but more sustainable than blowing big money on a goal machine striker.

Oh, Wolves winning destroyed my1500:1 accy...I got all today’s results (that I played) except that (I had a draw)...having said that, I still needed Burnley to draw. lol

That's the sort of question that professional football clubs pay chief scouts and Directors of Football to answer mate. They in turn pay @Zatara for hints via email.

Is it definitely the right question though?

I mean, it's reasonable to expect that DCL will continue to improve as a player, given that he's only just turned 22... so do we need a new CF in his prime, who comes with a hefty price tag and the burden of expectation to bang in 15 goals per season? If so, wasn't that what Cenk Tosun was supposed to be?

Or perhaps we might actually be looking for a better bench option than Tosun, whilst DCL keeps the starting spot and grows into it?

I suppose a lot of it hinges on the extent of the funds available in the summer, and if we get acceptable offers for Tosun and Niasse. But one thing is sure: no club on the planet would pay £50m for Vardy this summer.

MLS will take him. But yes I get exactly where you're coming from. Not sure how you would make it all add up on the balance sheet, but if it gets you in amongst the top 6 for the next 3 seasons, does it really matter?

Yes it matters for two reasons in my view. Firstly, the new stadium means that funds will inevitably be short. So much has already been wasted, so many players are drains on the payroll already, that they have to be very careful on what new costs they take on.

Secondly, there's not a great deal more money to be made till you make top 4. Not sure spending to reach top 6 is viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.