• Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes very well put.

The reality is, particularly for Ajax that moving players on also predates the "modern game" and the expansion of value within it. It is rooted deeply in Dutch football, but also in both Dutch culture (and indeed the culture of Amsterdam). They are a tiny nation of sea-farers who travelled the world, some might return, others not. It's kind of an approach that has transmitted easily into the football. So this is not a modern thing that they look to trade and sell players on (although the speed with which they do it would be viewed differently) and perhaps sooner than previously.

They know that they cannot keep that team together and couldn't afford too. They buy the best young players in the world, and develop some of the best knowing there is a wider philosophy that they are moved on at anywhere from 19-24 for big fees. These pay for the enormous scouting budget they have but also the enormous expense they put into their academy. For the players involved they join Ajax knowing they will be given game time and the best coaching in the world as opposed to going to a more developed club where they won't be given that exposure.

The idea that you can take part of that outlook but then change fundamental bits of it and have the same results is just untrue. If they keep those players there will not be the ability to pay for the academy, for the scouting networks, for the youth coaching they have, for the next generation of players to come through etc. Yes they will have a great team, but when that team eventually fade (and most of those lads are on 2-3 year contracts) they will have lost the long term sustainability of the club.

So yes I think it's reasonable enough to say they are happy to move the players on, both from a practical viewpoint but also a philosophical one.

I know we are speaking broadly, but i think something that is lost is the absolute skill Ajax have in coaching and developing players. I know you are not making that point, but the equation is vastly more the buying and selling young players, i think they buy young players at a minimum and have probably gotten in to that as a respone given PSV, Alkmaar and Feyenoord have had success there particularly with players from South America. There is as impressive labyrinth of Ajax cells all around Amsterdam that no player of potential is missed, but the nurturing of that talent is absolutely technically fantastic. When you look at ajax players of note historically the vast majority are Amsterdam or broadly Dutch based. I would encourage anyone to visit Ajax it really is an enlighting experience. Its also embedded in the community in the way Amsterdam is Ajax crazy, it really is part of the social fabric, a huge honor and massive aspiration from a psychosocial perspective. Ajax gives to the community and the community gives to Ajax. That aids the terrific technical approach which really is quite advanced i would contend that younger players growing up in Amsterdam want to play for Ajax, more then the some young players in the UK want to play for PL clubs. Its almost like the prestige of wanting to play for the a national team.

I think were we differ with the model is we will never be able to solely do what Ajax do, we just dont have that context, recruitment area or probably carry that prestige locally that they do in Amsterdam. So we can do something on smaller scale with younger players, where we would have an advantage is in purchasing and keeping power to put simply, we can pay wages to attract as a starting point and laterally keep the better players if we like and also offer a higher exposure in the PL and possibly Europen football. That i see as an end game in a way though.

I keep coming back to Spurs as an example, they player traded for a decade until they broke the glass ceiling of the CL, which enabled them to have the purchasing power and profile to keep the likes of Kane, Eriksen, Alli etc. In short, i would suggest that player trading is essential to climb the rungs of the ladder, you will need to sell Bales, Defoes, Keanes, Berbatovs, to climb the rungs of a ladder until you break the glass ceiling, then achieve the purchasing power and the profile to keep, attract and be attractive to existing and new players.

I suppose what i am suggesting is that we need to be fluid in our thoughts on player trading, selling Richarlison for 120 mill, Digne for 60 mill and whoever in two years time seems like a terrible thing, but it actually may be necessary to enable the club to have a chance of breaking the glass ceiling, until we eventually get to the point of Spurs where its not necessary.

Last edited:
Yes Bolasie and Sandro are a problem , but I have faith in Brands to move them on.
It always amazes me how there are a pleathora of clubs willing to take players like them on loan.
So not a sale but a loan for a fee is the best solution.
My guess outgoings sales wise will be Vlasic , Lookman and Onyekuru.

Paves the way for 3/4 quality signings to come in.

....the clubs willing to take Bolasie and Sandro on loan know the situation we are in and also can’t afford the salary and transfer fee required. It’s likely that we are currently subsidising a significant amount of their wages. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are still paying Koeman.

....the clubs willing to take Bolasie and Sandro on loan know the situation we are in and also can’t afford the salary and transfer fee required. It’s likely that we are currently subsidising a significant amount of their wages. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are still paying Koeman.
If we really want to make the move up maybe our billionaire owner needs to consider paying off some contracts.

Dude, what the heck does that even mean? He's the starting player on a CL quarterfinal side. You don't need to play a kids name to know he's a good player. This isn't some unheard of player, my heavens. He's 22, plays on the right, is left footed, has great movement and can score - he's a perfect fit for what Silva wants from his right attacker.

The idea that's he's unobtainable is silly. He's got the same agent as Bernard & Richy, we've got a Portuguese manager, and we'll give him a huge pay raise.

im quite certain a stand out player in a champions league quarter final, will be sold for big money, to ANOTHER champions league side, not a mid table premier league side..

I think you are probably right.

‘Che’ is quite fancy enough for me. I do like the nickname chele. That’s cool. I fear it would end up as an ironic slur if he was to end up with us.
Just you wait until the jarg merchandise stalls in town start selling Chè Guevara t-shirts with his face superimposed in them...

Based on Bass.

Base guitars.

Ace of Bass.

Bass fish.

and Bass fisherman.

Shandy Bass

We are. Martinez too.

As long as they're international managers we're still paying their salaries. We only stop if they take a club job whilst their contract is still running.

Mori was rubbish. And not sure he’s even getting in the Villarreal team these days, was on the bench last night. And Klassen was getting destroyed by our fans last season for being so poor
Mori, rubbish??? No chance. He was an emperor. In new clothes. I remember many commenting so.

Barca are looking to shift a load of players as are Real Madrid

Malcom would be ideal to sign on loan with an option to buy but I just can't see him going somewhere outside of the Champions League or Europe as a whole. He's surplus to requirements at Barcelona but I'm sure he'll be very attractive to clubs like Inter or Dortmund.

Status
Not open for further replies.