• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy with the recent results but think it's far too soon to be giving Silva a clean bill of health as our long term manager.
The season overall has been a massive disappointment after the summer transfer window.
There is no way that this squad should be absolutely miles behind the top 6 , and in a mini league with the likes of Wolves , Leicester , Watford and West Ham - and that's even after the mini revival !
That said , lets hope the improvement continues.
There needs to be a sit down at the end of the season involving Moshiri, Brands and Silva and a review of the season made. For the most part it'll be a matter of saying what went right. Players bought by and large were a success (Mina aside), average starting line up age reduced significantly, an established style of play/identity emerging nicely, results against so called bigger clubs decent.

However, the stuff that went wrong was the lack of sale of players not required which, in turn, prevented any incomings in January and cratered us with a slump in form. Silva needs to press his bosses into committing more investment above and beyond player sales, because Brands isn't looking like he has the knack of shifting players out, apart from loan deals.

If Silva isn't guaranteed that investment then we may as well call it a day under Moshiri. He backed his own judgemenet on Silva by poaching him, it's his and his DoF's responsibility to give the man the tools to do the job they ask of him.

You would have a point if Silva had grace from past jobs alas he hasnt -

he got relegated with Hull

He got sacked by Watford after an awful run

He had the worst conceeding from set pieces record in the league with both of them clubs and we were not far off. Moshiri himself has labelled him a "gamble".

So yes when we do look absolutely tosh for months on end I will voice my opinion mate.
The only grace he got from me was our form up until the derby defeat. I liked what I was seeing, apart from our defending of set pieces, especially the way we had performed away to the likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Yes we lost 3 of those games but we deserved to take something from each.

I can't explain what happened for the 8/9 weeks following the derby, and yes it was, and still is, very worrying that Silva apparently had no control over it. But you could see a significant change in the players work ethics in the City and Watford games in February, and since that extra effort started to manifest itself in performances the confidence and swagger, seen earlier in the season, has returned.

Definitely earned himself a second shot next season for me.

There needs to be a sit down at the end of the season involving Moshiri, Brands and Silva and a review of the season made. For the most part it'll be a matter of saying what went right. Players bought by and large were a success (Mina aside), average starting line up age reduced significantly, an established style of play/identity emerging nicely, results against so called bigger clubs decent.

However, the stuff that went wrong was the lack of sale of players not required which, in turn, prevented any incomings in January and cratered us with a slump in form. Silva needs to press his bosses into committing more investment above and beyond player sales, because Brands isn't looking like he has the knack of shifting players out, apart from loan deals.

If Silva isn't guaranteed that investment then we may as well call it a day under Moshiri. He backed his own judgemenet on Silva by poaching him, it's his and his DoF's responsibility to give the man the tools to do the job they ask of him.

Hes been backed, he was given 80m to spend in the summer and given access to players worth 70m on loan, plus a free transfer in Bernie that could easily have cost us a 30m fee.

Thankfully Silva is very aware that we cant sell players that nobody wants to buy.

He has been given vastly more rope than Martinez and Koeman both got, both were sacked when in the run of form we had between December and Feb, so Moshiri has backed his appointment by not punting the jarg Jose when lets be honest he should have.

Hopefully his gamble now pays off.

But please never sleep on Brands, the man only signs ballers.

I think any critics of Silva (and i include myself in that) are choking on their words right now.We have a lot of egg and a lot of humble pie, to clean off our faces!That was a superb performance, and i think if we won by 2 or 3 goals, then Arsenal could have had no complaints.Let's just keep this up, and then we await developments in the summer with interest.The most important thing is to recruit sensibly.I think we can be sure that there won't be a repeat, of what happened under Ronald Koeman and Steve Walsh, and all that money wasted.But at the moment i think it's fair to say, that Marco Silva has shoved two fingers up to his critics and detractors with the current run of performances.

Hes been backed, he was given 80m to spend in the summer and given access to players worth 70m on loan, plus a free transfer in Bernie that could easily have cost us a 30m fee.

Thankfully Silva is very aware that we cant sell players that nobody wants to buy.

He has been given vastly more rope than Martinez and Koeman both got, both were sacked when in the run of form we had between December and Feb, so Moshiri has backed his appointment by not punting the jarg Jose when lets be honest he should have.

Cant agree that Silva has been given more rope than brown shoes, we were pretty crap for a couple of seasons under him. It's going to take a while to clear up the defensive mess and lack of confidence left behind by the Martinez/Koeman/Walsh years. It's took Silva a while but we do seem to have turned a corner now, the only problem was that he didn't hit the ground running as we all would have liked.

I think any critics of Silva (and i include myself in that) are choking on their words right now.We have a lot of egg and a lot of humble pie, to clean off our faces!That was a superb performance, and i think if we won by 2 or 3 goals, then Arsenal could have had no complaints.Let's just keep this up, and then we await developments in the summer with interest.The most important thing is to recruit sensibly.I think we can be sure that there won't be a repeat, of what happened under Ronald Koeman and Steve Walsh, and all that money wasted.But at the moment i think it's fair to say, that Marco Silva has shoved two fingers up to his critics and detractors with the current run of performances.

Im gonna whisper this and im also never going to repeat it, but all the criticism Silva received was probably fair.

I mean we got knocked out of 1 cup by the worst Saints side in a few years, AT HOME, we got knocked out the FA Cup by a team that sits 15th in the championship, we went 5 games without winning a game, we had 2 wins in 10 games at 1 point, we conceded from almost set piece. At 1 point the only reason I could give for not wanting him sacked was for stabilities sake.

So yeah, lets be honest it wasnt looking good.

What I did say was we should give him the full season, of course everybody has been swayed by our last 3 results, they were very good, I know people have tried to play down the Chelsea result as they arent a very good side, same for Arsenal, but they are both very good sides and their defeats to us are the only 1s in their last 5 games. Very good results, plus we went to an away side and claimed a very good win there. Also the first half from Chelsea aside we have won all 3 games in style, sure we have missed a hatful of chances, but still.

Of course the above cup results, the Newcastle results, getting schooled by West Ham at home, Spurs and of course losing to the vermin with the last kick of the game are all very bad results, but for me, the last few results have shown that on our day we can compete with most sides in the league. Only really Spurs have blown us away this season, City won both games at a bit of a canter also, but we played well against the vermin, played well and beat Chelsea and Arse.

What im saying is there has been both good and bad this season, so what we do is we take the good and hope next season brings us less bad.

Cant agree that Silva has been given more rope than brown shoes, we were pretty crap for a couple of seasons under him. It's going to take a while to clear up the defensive mess and lack of confidence left behind by the Martinez/Koeman/Walsh years. It's took Silva a while but we do seem to have turned a corner now, the only problem was that he didn't hit the ground running as we all would have liked.

We had a very big dip, dont forget prior to the first Derby we were sitting in 6th? With some good performances under our belt, if not the results, we then hit a wall for 2 or 3 months. It doesnt everything is rosy, its not, but as I say above, take the good, try and forget the bad.

We had a very big dip, dont forget prior to the first Derby we were sitting in 6th? With some good performances under our belt, if not the results, we then hit a wall for 2 or 3 months. It doesnt everything is rosy, its not, but as I say above, take the good, try and forget the bad.

Maybe we should translate this into Latin and use it as a new club motto.

He had to spend £50M on one player. That didn't leave much else to spread around rebuilding a squad that Koeman wasted £200M on.

Silva has been patient on the lack of backing in January. He never complained. That doesn't mean he wants that failure of Brands and Moshiri to continue into the summer window.

We know we have a manager now. We have an owner who released club generated cash in the past - will he release club generated funds again in the summer? We know also that Brands cant sell. The last two named men need to up their games 100%.

And Newcastle more recently

We've played well in 2 and a half games - Christ lads calm down a bit
We've played 'well' in about 20 odd games to be fair. People were quite happy to say we should sack the manager when we were losing 1-0 having been the better side in a fair few games, but now we're not allowed to say actually he's doing a decent job because having some bad results over the course of the season somehow ruins the whole thing and makes him useless.

And Newcastle more recently

We've played well in 2 and a half games - Christ lads calm down a bit

Indeed. I’m not 100% yet but he’s doing it now so just hope it continues.

We won’t win every game so it’s important to not go too mental when we do lose our next match.

Just as it’s important to not go too overboard now.

Status
Not open for further replies.