2018/19 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
But having Jags as 4th choice is better than spending 20m+ on another player to play 4 games a season.

That 20m can go elsewhere.

True. In the current market, it's hard to justify spending big money on a "fourth choice" defender. However, if we could sort out a loan deal with a view to buying or bring in someone from abroad who is a bit of a punt but might give us some return (that is Brands' business model after all), then that might be a better option.

True. In the current market, it's hard to justify spending big money on a "fourth choice" defender. However, if we could sort out a loan deal with a view to buying or bring in someone from abroad who is a bit of a punt but might give us some return (that is Brands' business model after all), then that might be a better option.

Also the benefit of retaining Jags is that it gives us a chance to possibly utilise 1 of the yoots if needed, rather that buying a player that blocks their progress.

This all depends if any of them are of the required quality of course.

I mean currently we have a much improved Michael Keane and a very injury ridden Yerry Mina going into next season, so its certainly an area that needs work.

But having Jags as 4th choice is better than spending 20m+ on another player to play 4 games a season.

100% Also, people talking like it is easy to get a CB who will just slot in and will sit on the bench if not.
Keep Jags, give Holgate another year on loan and see where we are next year.

The 20mil as you say can go on a decent goal scorer or a replacement for Gana. 2 areas we will really need to fill this summer.

Two problems with that,

1 it would ruin their development, they need to be out on loan at a lowr league club getting game time, everyone knows that.

2 if there is a long term injury somewhere to our cb's the replacements you have mentioned could get torn to shreds in this league. You cannot just check kids in there and hope for the best.
I didn't say it would be ideal, I said it would be preferable over handing another contract to a player who is only going to get worse.

Works fine either way for me.

If he stays, on much reduced wages, knowing he is 3rd or 4th choice, he wont let us down.

If he wants games, then wages off the book, and a fond farewell.

Similar with Baines, but thats more dependant on a Dogne stand in being signed/ready.
We need to punt the likes of jags and baines and get young hungry players in or bring them though for me mate

We need to punt the likes of jags and baines and get young hungry players in or bring them though for me mate

In an ideal world, yeah, of course. I dont keep much of an eye on our youth players, so if we have a young'un who could be trusted to be a stable 3rd/4th choice at CB or LB, then sound. If not, having proven reliable players on the books aint the worst idea for a short term fix.

A tap in goal and some people are breaking their necks to hand a bit part player another couple of million.

And you are one of the prime movers and supporters of Brands and his policy of shifting players out to make space for others.

You cant face both ways at once mate.

Much as I love him I think it probably better for all that Jags leaves at the end of this season on good terms and gets decent playing time elsewhere - if not in UK I would think he’d enjoy some American sunshine as he’s always loved a tan.

However if he stays he’ll wind @davek up no end which would be entertaining all by itself
;)

Imagine dave if Baines the 'backstabber' stays!

A tap in goal and some people are breaking their necks to hand a bit part player another couple of million.

And you are one of the prime movers and supporters of Brands and his policy of shifting players out to make space for others.

You cant face both ways at once mate.

I said last week I would punt him.

Im just concerned that we have 2 CBs going into next season and 1 of them only has 1 leg.

In an ideal world, yeah, of course. I dont keep much of an eye on our youth players, so if we have a young'un who could be trusted to be a stable 3rd/4th choice at CB or LB, then sound. If not, having proven reliable players on the books aint the worst idea for a short term fix.

....let’s not forget Pennington is a young CB with plenty left on his contract. He’s recently picked up a serious injury, so it’s unlikely he’ll move on a permanent deal in the summer (I don’t consider Holgate as a CB). If Pennington doesn’t go in the summer, it would be folly to have Pennington and Jagielka on the books next season.

If there is one to watch from the youngsters, I will mention Lewis Gibson. He’s a CB who can play LB. We paid decent money for him and he’s been a regular at U23s for a few seasons despite his age. He’s recently been nominated for an an U23 league award. It’s a massive step up, but Gibson could provide cover for Jagielka and Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.