2018/19 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
....much will depend on whether they stay up, but he does seem popular with their fans.
I think they'll go down, and the episode with losing Sala seemed to affect Warnock. He's knocking on a bit. Anyway, back to Jags, I think a player coach role would appeal to him, and a promoted Sheff Utd wouldn't be a surprise.

Not sure such a thing exists for a player of his stature. You’re talking a few million, or he’d just go and play for Burnley or some other club lower down the league for a few years.
WHo ever we have is going to cost millions per year or be absolute crap.
No kid worth his salt would be happy to be benched for 35+ games a season either.

People keep saying bin jags but not one person has come up with a viable alternative.

I dont. I suggest we get a CB who'll be good enough to hand the manager a headache to leave out and they get 8/10 games in their first season and break through.

Look what Leicester have done: they have their settled CBs in Evans and Maguire and they signed Soyuncu a good young Turkish international who looks promising and have handed him 6 games already since January. If we dont go down that route but instead re-sign Jagielka what does that say about us?

It's never that easy mate. We can't even get it right when we spend 30mil on a cb so what chance when paying far less.
I like what you are saying but if they get it wrong we have no cover at CB

It's never that easy mate. We can't even get it right when we spend 30mil on a cb so what chance when paying far less.
I like what you are saying but if they get it wrong we have no cover at CB

I'd rather see a kid like Feeney or Connolly offered a chance than stick with a player like Jagielka who has almost nothing to offer anymore.

I'd rather see a kid like Feeney or Connolly offered a chance than stick with a player like Jagielka who has almost nothing to offer anymore.

Two problems with that,

1 it would ruin their development, they need to be out on loan at a lowr league club getting game time, everyone knows that.

2 if there is a long term injury somewhere to our cb's the replacements you have mentioned could get torn to shreds in this league. You cannot just check kids in there and hope for the best.

People keep saying bin jags but not one person has come up with a viable alternative.

You're advocating us paying a 37 year old a few million pounds to sit on the bench on the basis that, if worst comes to worst and we are desperate, he can plug a gap.

The way we need to be looking at it is - let's get in a defender who can compete to play games for us and give us options from the bench, rather than having players who are just there as a "desperate measures" option.

If we want to genuinely push to break the top 6, we need to get out of this attitude of settling for squad positions to be taken up by players who are 37 and well past their best, it's just nowhere near good enough for this level.

I think they'll go down, and the episode with losing Sala seemed to affect Warnock. He's knocking on a bit. Anyway, back to Jags, I think a player coach role would appeal to him, and a promoted Sheff Utd wouldn't be a surprise.
Isn't the Sheff United manager an ex player of theirs already ?
Jags may well fit the bill for them.

Works fine either way for me.

If he stays, on much reduced wages, knowing he is 3rd or 4th choice, he wont let us down.

If he wants games, then wages off the book, and a fond farewell.

Similar with Baines, but thats more dependant on a Dogne stand in being signed/ready.

You're advocating us paying a 37 year old a few million pounds to sit on the bench on the basis that, if worst comes to worst and we are desperate, he can plug a gap.

The way we need to be looking at it is - let's get in a defender who can compete to play games for us and give us options from the bench, rather than having players who are just there as a "desperate measures" option.

If we want to genuinely push to break the top 6, we need to get out of this attitude of settling for squad positions to be taken up by players who are 37 and well past their best, it's just nowhere near good enough for this level.

But having Jags as 4th choice is better than spending 20m+ on another player to play 4 games a season.

That 20m can go elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.