2018/19 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, they would be offered massively reduced contracts, that is obvious, second, where jags is concerned, who would you suggest we get to sit on the bench for 35 games a season?
I dont. I suggest we get a CB who'll be good enough to hand the manager a headache to leave out and they get 8/10 games in their first season and break through.

Look what Leicester have done: they have their settled CBs in Evans and Maguire and they signed Soyuncu a good young Turkish international who looks promising and have handed him 6 games already since January. If we dont go down that route but instead re-sign Jagielka what does that say about us?

Coleman was covering behind him all the time.

He is past it.

£2.5M per year for him and £3.5M per year for Baines.

If Brands is serious about his job he needs to punt a 37 year old and a 34 year old who aren't at the races anymore. If we want deputies in those positions they should be have to be players younger than what we have their now and arer hungry to displace the incumbent player, not simply ask two veterans to stay on reduced wages.

Let's all just get real on these two for once. They've been here long enough and have amassed a huge fortune each. They aren't good enough and need moving out.

How can there be any other attitude to the situation than that?!
All I'm saying is I wouldn't be against them two staying for just one more season while we improve other areas, Obviously I'm assuming we're on a limited budget which is why I don't think it's the worst thing to do rather then buy some back ups for about 4-5 million and wages.

Baines to MLS I could see happening.
Ashley Cole done ok out there as an older full back and seeing as Bradley Wright Phillips still gets paid money to play football, I'm sure even Jags could still mark him out of a game.

....I can see a progressive and ambitious club wanting Jagielka to bring experience to their dressing room. It could be a newly promoted club or a club wanting promotion. Amazed if there isn’t a strong demand for him.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't be against them two staying for just one more season while we improve other areas, Obviously I'm assuming we're on a limited budget which is why I don't think it's the worst thing to do rather then buy some back ups for about 4-5 million and wages.
It's false economy throwing more cash at wages for those two. They need replacing. Not doing it now just puts off spending for another year when fees and wages will be even higher.

Get shut and get two prospects in.

Hearing rumours of a 2 year contract on the table, 120k a week, 5m signing bonus.

@davek
middle-finger.png

I dont. I suggest we get a CB who'll be good enough to hand the manager a headache to leave out and they get 8/10 games in their first season and break through.

Look what Leicester have done: they have their settled CBs in Evans and Maguire and they signed Soyuncu a good young Turkish international who looks promising and have handed him 6 games already since January. If we dont go down that route but instead re-sign Jagielka what does that say about us?

I think Jags and Baines have impressed the few times we've had to rely on them this year. If we can reduce their wages significantly, bearing in mind we might have a limited budget and need to prioritise a striker, I think we could do a lot worse than have them as back up for one more year.

It's false economy throwing more cash at wages for those two. They need replacing. Not doing it now just puts off spending for another year when fees and wages will be even higher.

Get shut and get two prospects in.
Both Jags and Baines are great Evertonians, we havent had many of those over recent years, just having them at the club is worth a few points a season even if they hardly play, the influence these guys can have behind the scenes is massive.

It might be difficult to get transparency from Marco/Marcel on the Capt Jags and Bainesy front. Until their contract expires, I expect M&M will stay shtum on this issue.

Jags contract should not be renewed but perhaps if not transferred given a coaching job.

Status
Not open for further replies.