2018/19 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to think Jags make the decisions. If he was not up to it Marco and Marcel would not give him a new contract, it is that simple.
I love how you think you know better than them
Well let's see how they think independently of fans nudging them in the direction of a nostalgic encore for Baines and Jagielka - an expensive one that they'll spend on the bench and one we cant afford if its a matter of scarce cash for squad wages.

The pair of them combined account for £6M of our wage bill per season.

I for one want that sort of cash spent on players who'll be out on the pitch rather than warming the bench and taking up space in the treatment room. Dont you?

If Capt Jags' contract is extended (which I suspect is likely after his goal on Sunday), I'd like the club to also check out whether Hibbo would like to make a come-back...

Did you know? Only Richard Gough (37 years 138 days), against Southampton in August 1999, has scored a Premier League goal for Everton at an older age than Phil Jagielka (36 years 233 days).

Well let's see how they think independently of fans nudging them in the direction of a nostalgic encore for Baines and Jagielka - an expensive one that they'll spend on the bench and one we cant afford if its a matter of scarce cash for squad wages.

I for one want that sort of cash spent on players who'll be out on the pitch rather than warming the bench and taking up space in the treatment room. Dont you?
Don't see anything wrong with one more season on reduced wages, He handled himself fine yesterday against the likes of Lacazette/Auba/Ramsey but with your agenda tinted glasses on he's absolute had a mare against Arsenal, We can just spend more money on more important places on the team like striker without having to use that money for a back up defender that will only play unless Mina/Keane are injured so it'll be either a 22 year old no mark with no PL experience or some 33 year old has been coming on similar or reduced wages as Jags.

....i’m a huge fan of both players, but I have to agree with you on not giving them contract extensions. Brands has already said the squad is too big, so I expect it to be pruned where possible. It really doesn’t make sense to keep two players on huge salaries who rarely play.

Zouma might well return and we will need a replacement from elsewhere, but I have hope that Lewis Gibson can step and replace Jagielka and Baines from within (a CB who plays LB). It could be a problem permanently shifting Pennington in light of his recent injury so we have to offload CBs where we can.

Both Baines and Jagielka will be in demand, they will be offered longer term and lucrative deals (no transfer fee involved) elsewhere. What happens with them will be fascinating, but I think it’s time to say thank-you and good-bye.

We’ve got to be ruthless.

He has been good for us over the years, but at this stage the money can clearly be spent better elsewhere.

We’ve paid him very handsomely for many years, we don’t owe him a “goodwill” retirement contract.

Firstly, they would be offered massively reduced contracts, that is obvious, second, where jags is concerned, who would you suggest we get to sit on the bench for 35 games a season?

We’ve got to be ruthless.

He has been good for us over the years, but at this stage the money can clearly be spent better elsewhere.

We’ve paid him very handsomely for many years, we don’t owe him a “goodwill” retirement contract.
He'd be on a tiny contract next year mate.

Firstly, they would be offered massively reduced contracts, that is obvious, second, where jags is concerned, who would you suggest we get to sit on the bench for 35 games a season?

....I can’t see why either player would accept a reduced contract when they can go elsewhere on lucrative Bosman deals, with guaranteed playing time, and a contract that will last at least 2 seasons.

Jagielka understandably got skinned yesterday, he’s always been a player who gets better/sharper with playing time but he won’t get that here. I like the fella lots, but we are not a charity. We need to be business-like and efficient.

Don't see anything wrong with one more season on reduced wages, He handled himself fine yesterday against the likes of Lacazette/Auba/Ramsey but with your agenda tinted glasses on he's absolute had a mare against Arsenal, We can just spend more money on more important places on the team like striker without having to use that money for a back up defender that will only play unless Mina/Keane are injured so it'll be either a 22 year old no mark with no PL experience or some 33 year old has been coming on similar or reduced wages as Jags.
Coleman was covering behind him all the time.

He is past it.

£2.5M per year for him and £3.5M per year for Baines.

If Brands is serious about his job he needs to punt a 37 year old and a 34 year old who aren't at the races anymore. If we want deputies in those positions they should be have to be players younger than what we have their now and arer hungry to displace the incumbent player, not simply ask two veterans to stay on reduced wages.

Let's all just get real on these two for once. They've been here long enough and have amassed a huge fortune each. They aren't good enough and need moving out.

How can there be any other attitude to the situation than that?!

....i’m a huge fan of both players, but I have to agree with you on not giving them contract extensions. Brands has already said the squad is too big, so I expect it to be pruned where possible. It really doesn’t make sense to keep two players on huge salaries who rarely play.

Zouma might well return and we will need a replacement from elsewhere, but I have hope that Lewis Gibson can step and replace Jagielka and Baines from within (a CB who plays LB). It could be a problem permanently shifting Pennington in light of his recent injury so we have to offload CBs where we can.

Both Baines and Jagielka will be in demand, they will be offered longer term and lucrative deals (no transfer fee involved) elsewhere. What happens with them will be fascinating, but I think it’s time to say thank-you and good-bye.
Exactly. They aren't our players come June and I expect that to be that. Let them find their way in football outside Everton. We aren't a care home for superannuated footballers.

....I can’t see why either player would accept a reduced contract when they can go elsewhere on lucrative Bosman deals, with guaranteed playing time, and a contract that will last at least 2 seasons.

Jagielka understandably got skinned yesterday, he’s always been a player who gets better/sharper with playing time but he won’t get that here. I like the fella lots, but we are not a charity. We need to be business-like and efficient.
Baines to MLS I could see happening.
Ashley Cole done ok out there as an older full back and seeing as Bradley Wright Phillips still gets paid money to play football, I'm sure even Jags could still mark him out of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.