2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a player shows signs of humility and acknowledges they need to do better? Yes.

Do you see that here with numb nuts?

To be honest humility has to be way down the list of priorities for a goalkeeper. They spend their working life knowing that the next mistake is inevitably just around the corner and that they will get slaughtered for it. Arrogance, a thick skin and an ability to deal with unjustified criticism are far more important than humility.

As for a need to do better unless you see him day in day out in training then I don't think you should comment on whether he is trying his damnedest to improve or not. Put yourself in his position Dave imagine being in your mid twenties and having to deal with the kind of pressure, flak and at times downright abuse that Pickford has to cope with.

And yet the BBC match ratings only gave him a 5 and two 6s in the group stage, and he was almost universally acknowledged to have had an absolute shocker against Belgium, leading to even his opposite number commenting on it. He was good, I was pleased for him and for the club that he represented, but I just didn't think he was quite as good as you evidently did. I did of course say all this at the time, along with many others on your own website, but if you want to ignore that and pretend we're rewriting history because of the derby then who am I to question it.

*Also lol at using the cumulative number of saves made as evidence when he played more than twice as many as games as half the keepers there.

Imagine trying to criticise the use of stats to back up a point of view after you've used the "BBC match ratings" to back up yours.

Thats rubbish about the Belgium game as well, you had dinosaurs insisting he went with the wrong hand despite every modern coach I read saying his technique was correct.

That would also be the same opposite number who later said his comments were misconstrued and that Pickford is a great goalkeeper.

Imagine trying to criticise the use of stats to back up a point of view after you've used the "BBC match ratings" to back up yours.

Thats rubbish about the Belgium game as well, you had dinosaurs insisting he went with the wrong hand despite every modern coach I read saying his technique was correct.

That would also be the same opposite number who later said his comments were misconstrued and that Pickford is a great goalkeeper.
Imagine taking umbrage at someone checking that their memory wasn't playing tricks on them by googling something and mentioning it. I've said before I thought he had a good world cup, I even started my comments on here by saying I could see both sides. But once again, some people just can't accept even the vaguest hint of criticism about Pickford, and have to defend him even from those who aren't complaining about him. It's a weird cult, no doubt about that.

Imagine taking umbrage at someone checking that their memory wasn't playing tricks on them by googling something and mentioning it. I've said before I thought he had a good world cup, I even started my comments on here by saying I could see both sides. But once again, some people just can't accept even the vaguest hint of criticism about Pickford, and have to defend him even from those who aren't complaining about him. It's a weird cult, no doubt about that.

Of course any reasonable person is going to take umbrage with someone using bbc match ratings whilst in the same post they criticise the use of statistics.

If you'd made a "vague" criticism then that would be fine but you implied that he had a terrible game against belgium and that his opposite number had pilloried him for it, neither of those were even remotely true.

I haven't posted in this thread in god knows how long so concerning terms such as "cult" once again you have missed the mark by some distance. .

Of course any reasonable person is going to take umbrage with someone using bbc match ratings whilst in the same post they criticise the use of statistics.

If you'd made a "vague" criticism then that would be fine but you implied that he had a terrible game against belgium and that his opposite number had pilloried him for it, neither of those were even remotely true.

I haven't posted in this thread in god knows how long so concerning terms such as "cult" once again you have missed the mark by some distance. .
I didn’t take issue with the use of ‘statustics’, I took issue with the use of a specific stat, in which the total number of saves made by a player who played 7 games was beung compared to a load of players who only played 3. It had been presented without the relevant context and so I added it in.

Fair enough if you don’t like independent player ratings, and if you think that courtois really changed his mind and wasn’t just told by a PR agent to retract his comments, but don’t try to tell me that the ‘statistic’ I laughed at was in any way the sort of evidence it was being presented as.

To be honest humility has to be way down the list of priorities for a goalkeeper. They spend their working life knowing that the next mistake is inevitably just around the corner and that they will get slaughtered for it. Arrogance, a thick skin and an ability to deal with unjustified criticism are far more important than humility.

As for a need to do better unless you see him day in day out in training then I don't think you should comment on whether he is trying his damnedest to improve or not. Put yourself in his position Dave imagine being in your mid twenties and having to deal with the kind of pressure, flak and at times downright abuse that Pickford has to cope with.
Spot on mate, anybody who ever watched or was fortunate enough to meet Big Nev, would know there was precious little humility about the man as a professional footballer. I genuinely don’t get the hate on here nowadays, fair enough dislike someone (or dislike everyone in the case of some posters) but hating someone you think is crap, just because they don’t agree with you and publically declare their crapness is just barmy!

Spot on mate, anybody who ever watched or was fortunate enough to meet Big Nev, would know there was precious little humility about the man as a professional footballer. I genuinely don’t get the hate on here nowadays, fair enough dislike someone (or dislike everyone in the case of some posters) but hating someone you think is crap, just because they don’t agree with you and publically declare their crapness is just barmy!

Thing is, Pickford isn't even good enough to wipe big Nev's arse, never mind lace his boots. Southall was a professional who took no crap, but always seemed humble, Pickford is a massive bellend who needs To get all this titish behaviour out of his game.

Him not always acting the fool would be a start.

Always think Everton players should start there Everton career slowly and build up to improvement as they have shown the fans improvement. Start on fire and they are in big trouble as the bar is set too high and when they go below that they become scapegoats even if they still perform at a decent standard.
Neville Southall and Kevin Ratcliffe are just a small sample of improvement. Tony Cottee stitched himself up by scoring a hattrick on his debut lol

Always think Everton players should start there Everton career slowly and build up to improvement as they have shown the fans improvement. Start on fire and they are in big trouble as the bar is set too high and when they go below that they become scapegoats even if they still perform at a decent standard.
Neville Southall and Kevin Ratcliffe are just a small sample of improvement. Tony Cottee stitched himself up by scoring a hattrick on his debut lol
Wait, so conceding 70 goals in your debut season is starting on fire? God help us

Status
Not open for further replies.