2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because a 93rd minute consolation in a defeat to Southampton or when 5-1 down to Spurs means absolutely nothing other than making numbers look better on a spreadsheet.

So the exact same applies to all those goals Lukaku scored in games we didn't win then.

It's a stupid argument.

If the performances aren't there - and they haven't been a fair bit - then fine. Have a dig. Don't have a dig for 'scoring goals'. It's like the poster that said "unfortunately Richarlison scores goals".

So the exact same applies to all those goals Lukaku scored in games we didn't win then.

It's a stupid argument.

If the performances aren't there - and they haven't been a fair bit - then fine. Have a dig.
Don't have a dig for 'scoring goals'. It's like the poster that said "unfortunately Richarlison scores goals".

Exactly. If he’d performed in those games then he might have been able to affect the actual result.

Exactly. If he’d performed in those games then he might have been able to affect the actual result.

But it doesn't seem to be a criticism directed at most other players is all.

Did Richarlison get the same stick for when we lost v Newcastle? i.e. his goals don't matter?

Gylfi is a second striker for me and 12 goals with 3 assists is an excellent return. He also has the ability to win matches with goals out of nothing.

A lot of the time we are essentially lining up as a 4-4-2.

If we had a mature number 9 upfront that threatened to score a few himself, one that made the opposition sit a bit deeper (as Lukaku's mere presence did), then I think he would be more involved in general play.

That and getting to grips with zonal marking at the back earlier (for winning second balls) would have seen us in a much better position.

Not many players score that Leicester goal, He's definitely worth keeping but I do feel he forces the team to play a certain way that not may suit us.
That goal v Leicester would have had a very good chance of winning goal of the season,but for Arsenal scoring that Team goal v Fulham the next day think it was.

Siggy to me is an enigma, as he legitimately scores some fantastic goals, but then goes missing during most of the game. Normally a 15 goal scorer whos not a striker would sell for big money in the league, but I dont think anyone would give us 40 million for him. To me thats a sign of just how much he goes missing for 89 minutes.

While we are the 7th highest scoring team in the league, I think we are legitimately 15 goals a season away from competing for the top 4-6. I think Siggy could be fine in a side that could produce that, as in reality we SHOULD be getting that extra production not from his position, but from the striker(another 7-8 per season), a CM(another 3-4 per season, our CMs rarely ever push up and score), and one of our wing spots(3-4 per season). If we got proper production from those 3 positions we would be scoring at a rate appropriate of a CL team, so I dont think hes a problem, just lacking in some ways.

It's a stupid argument.

If the performances aren't there - and they haven't been a fair bit - then fine. Have a dig. Don't have a dig for 'scoring goals'. It's like the poster that said "unfortunately Richarlison scores goals".

ppfft who was that maverick?

Status
Not open for further replies.