• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh these kind of straw man arguments do amuse me. I'm not for one second suggesting here that Pickford hasn't had a shambles of a season, but let's look at what you've got down here:

Wolves away - yes he should have saved that free kick, but it was moved 5 yards further forward than it should have been taken from and we were down to 10 men from that point onwards. We even took the lead again after that so to say he cos us 2 points (not 3 as you say) is harsh.

West Ham at home - I believe it was the second goal that was his fault due to a poor kick out, still there was nothing he could do about the finish and we lost that game 3-1, so subtract that goal and we still lose, so I'm scratching my head here how he cost us 3 points?

Leicster at home - harsh to blame him considering Keane and Walcott were at fault for letting Vardy through 1 v 1. If we are going to blame Pickford for points lost for not saving 1 v 1s, should we not also thank him for crucial saves such as a Chelsea away and Liverpool at home to name a couple. Not to mention a pentaly he saved against Crystal Palace at home with the scores at 0-0...

Liverpool and Newcastle away - yes, no doubt those points were dropped because of him.

My main gripe with your argument though is that you seem to have a very strange "you can't judge Silva until he gets a proper goalie and striker" type argument, were virtually all the faults of our season are brushed under a Jordan Pickford and Dominic Calvert-Lewin shaped rug. Neither of those players are responsible for our dreadful set piece record for example, one of achilles heels we've shown this season.

We are 11th on 40 measly points because we haven't been good enough mate, playing and coaching staff both.
I agree with the crux of what you're saying but i'm not entirely sure we can say Pickford isn't to blame for our set piece woes. Clearly it's not all on him by any means, but a keeper who took a bit more command and made the same decisions on a regular basis would definitely help. At the moment an identical free kick or corner could be taken 10 times and he'd come for 5 and stay for 5. That doesn't make it easy for the defenders to do their jobs, and definitely plays a part in us conceding.

So no teams close out wins with ten men?

I didn’t say that. I’m saying that Wolves and Bournemouth have proven to be decent teams this season with some big results at home so considering we had the chance to win both and some bizarre refereeing and bad luck meant we ended up with a draw could also be seen as a positive for Silva rather than just as a negative. Yeah we let two wins slip but his tactics put us in the position to win away from home against two good sides which we arguably would have if 11 had stayed on the pitch.

I didn’t say that. I’m saying that Wolves and Bournemouth have proven to be decent teams this season with some big results at home so considering we had the chance to win both and some bizarre refereeing and bad luck meant we ended up with a draw could also be seen as a positive for Silva rather than just as a negative. Yeah we let two wins slip but his tactics put us in the position to win away from home against two good sides which we arguably would have if 11 had stayed on the pitch.
Managers who know how to organise a defence have been known to see out games and even at times come from defending a point to snatch a win. When Silva was appointed I read his style being to defend well and hit with pace on the break,yet I've seen so many games where only luck has kept us in the game by half time.

Well they're never going to come out and publicly state the league position they expect us to finish in are they? That would be crazy.

I've said it before but people's idea of transition is laughable. People love to say they'll accept transition but they hate the reality of it. There was a post on here yesterday saying that transition and inconsistency was fine, as long as it was the sort of inconsistency that saw us get 70 odd points and only lose 6 games all season. That's never happening. Other people would seemingly accept transition which meant that we finished 10th as long as we played beautiful football every game and only dropped points due to bad luck and poor refereeing. Again, it's fanciful stuff. Real transitional seasons involve the manager trying to work out who he likes and who he doesn't, trying out people in different positions and different formations which might fail badly, players falling out with the manager because they don't like his methods or they feel like they're not getting the games they deserve, and previous regulars in the side being phased out and other people needing to step up to the plate. It's not often just a nice seamless change with the occasional hiccup which is what some people to expect, it's a process which usually involves getting worse before you get better.

My view is that the board will not tell us our club performance targets because they are incompetent and unwilling to show leadership and transparency from the top. The end result of that is the fans run out the managers because the board are cowering under the table.

"We have to get worse before we get better" - sounds like your making excuses for lack of capability and execution at the management level.

My view is that the board will not tell us our club performance targets because they are incompetent and unwilling to show leadership and transparency from the top. The end result of that is the fans run out the managers because the board are cowering under the table.

"We have to get worse before we get better" - sounds like your making excuses for lack of capability and execution at the management level.
No they won't tell us their performance targets because it would be a terrible idea! It's a lose lose situation for them, if they say realistically they're aiming for 8th this year then everybody says there's no ambition, if they try to show ambition by saying 6th then everybody says we're failing by not getting there and wants the manager sacked. It's a preposterous idea, and nobody does it.

Also if you're going to put something in quotation marks it's best that it least vaguely resembles the quote. I'm not saying we have to get worse to get better, nor am I saying we definitely will get better, or that I think Silva is the answer. What I was saying is that this season has been exactly what a 'transitional season' usually is. It could almost be used as a definition for the term, and yet loads of people who claimed they were happy for us to have such a season are whining about it.

No they won't tell us their performance targets because it would be a terrible idea! It's a lose lose situation for them, if they say realistically they're aiming for 8th this year then everybody says there's no ambition, if they try to show ambition by saying 6th then everybody says we're failing by not getting there and wants the manager sacked. It's a preposterous idea, and nobody does it.

Also if you're going to put something in quotation marks it's best that it least vaguely resembles the quote. I'm not saying we have to get worse to get better, nor am I saying we definitely will get better, or that I think Silva is the answer. What I was saying is that this season has been exactly what a 'transitional season' usually is. It could almost be used as a definition for the term, and yet loads of people who claimed they were happy for us to have such a season are whining about it.

"A loose lose situation for them"....is it them vs us then? I mean I thought this was one club....Millions of pounds flowing through the club and we have no bottle at the top of the table to have clear targets.....they should be run out of the club for that alone.

I agree with the crux of what you're saying but i'm not entirely sure we can say Pickford isn't to blame for our set piece woes. Clearly it's not all on him by any means, but a keeper who took a bit more command and made the same decisions on a regular basis would definitely help. At the moment an identical free kick or corner could be taken 10 times and he'd come for 5 and stay for 5. That doesn't make it easy for the defenders to do their jobs, and definitely plays a part in us conceding.

Totally agree mate, I should have worded it better but the point I was making was that Pickford wasn't completely accountable for the way the manager organises us from set pieces. But of course, the playing squad do need to take their shame of the blame for how bad we've been on set plays, let's just hope that is in the past now!

"A loose lose situation for them"....is it them vs us then? I mean I thought this was one club....Millions of pounds flowing through the club and we have no bottle at the top of the table to have clear targets.....they should be run out of the club for that alone.
I don't even know where you're going with this now but it's nothing to do with what I was saying so i'll bow out.

Top of my head:

Cost us

3 points away to Wolves
3 points versus West Ham
1 point versus Leicester when Vardy hits the winner
1 point versus Liverpool at the first derby
3 points versus Newcastle

Wolves absolute nonsense IMO, ditto Leicester.

You actually forget the calamity between him and Zouma when we were in front against Spurs.

Ok now show us your workings on how many points we have thrown away that can be accredited to the manager for the interests of balance. :)

I don't think it would be wise to have a league finishing position target made public, if one exists at all. No other club does that and with good reason.

I would be more concerned if there wasn't an internal target but with Brands on board I would expect that to be covered. I put a lot on his shoulders in terms of taking overall responsibility and providing direction, let's see how he does over the next few years in that regard.

It's quite simple really - Silva will either meet, exceed, or fail to meet any boardroom expectations that may be regarding his tenure here. As much as measurement is necessary - it's all public anyway in terms of league position and cup progress.

I don't think any bar charts will be necessary to assess Silva - as long as Brands feels he is doing an acceptable job within limitations and nobody perceived to be a better bet comes over the horizon, then he will be staying here.

I think Silva has come close once or twice this season to avoid a critical mass of bad results piling up - the games against Huddersfield and Cardiff were fortunate in their timing but I would be surprised if there were serious doubts about him quite yet.

Question for the anti Silva fans.

If we beat West Ham next Saturday will you stop moaning and posting the same thing over and over again and give him a bit of credit for doing some good things?
you confuse me so so so so much ...

give your head a wobble

your sat right at the front of the silva out bus !

Status
Not open for further replies.