2018/19 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he hasn't. I explained this elsewhere. In 2016/17 he started 12 games and came on as a sub 21 times before his season was ended early by injury. Last season he started 18 times and came on as a sub 7 times before his season was effectively ended early by injury. He was very much a key player for them at the start of last season, he played almost every game for them before Christmas - including starting 5 consecutive CL games and their big league games like City, Liverpool and United - but didn't play after Christmas because of a chronic ankle injury. He turned 23 last week, so before his 23rd birthday he'd started 53 games for Spurs, and come on as a sub in 38 more. Dowell is currently on loan, so the earliest we can start the process of integration is next season. He will turn 23 in October of the following season, and he currently has 5 appearances for us under his belt. If he's going to cram in 86 more appearances for us before his 23rd birthday to match Winks then his progression certainly isn't going to be a slow and steady one.

I should've said Premier league games, he'd start 12 in total before this season

He's got potential to be the next Osman.
Would walk in to our team right now...

The championship is his level, skilful player with a wonderful left foot. But he has no desire and probably spends a large portion of his time crying

Lol. Pathetic.

....the work rate comments do make me smile as I suspect folk will be very surprised at the ground he covers in a match. Sometimes ‘busy’ looking players flatter but Dowell is a big old unit with a languid gate. He’ll be doing his bit. I don’t remember many criticising Kevin Sheedy’s workrate.

Dowell has rare ability to effectively influence a game. Every top team needs players like that. What Dowell is yet to prove is whether he can consistently produce.

Make me laugh. The quick and easy go to criticism of those without a clue.

The way Spurs handled Winks is the example here, gradual involvement leading to him now being an established regular.

As if our fans would stand for that...

Full match can be watched in boro's site. Dowell was decent with his workrate and positioning. Did well with important moments. He slowed the game down on the left side towards the end of the match which could be viewed as successful game management.

I think he was actually doing the basic stuff really well I don't remember seeing any skills or shots. Bit too slow for lwb position but he was did a job. Boro were poor though. Biggest plus was he always in the game.

Osman or Dowell ?
I think they’re similar in style. I’ve said it fir 2/3 years that I don’t think we would see Dowell until he’s 22-ish if he turns out good enough and I don’t think Osman became a regular till he was 23.

Osman was part of a squad that had virtually no money, much easier then imo to get games for Everton, much harder now.

They aren’t midfielders, they aren’t really wingers, through they both play there. Really they are number 10’s. I think with no pace it’s harder to get a chance as an attacking player at an early age. And how many number 10’s do you see playing regular in the prem at the top end of the table. Dele Ali probably the only one.

Brooks who’s a few months older than Dowell and Maddison who’s a year older. While both have done ok, I wouldn’t say they have set the world alight. Also both have come from the lower leagues, so have had more competitive games than Dowell.

I still have hopes for Dowell, but he needs to have a very good pre-season.

I know what you mean but I was talking about this the other day. It's difficult to do that because of his age. Winks had already made his England debut by Dowell's age, if we spend 2 years playing him in bits and pieces he'll be 24 by the time we ask him to become a proper part of the team. I'm not sure that he or the club will be particularly happy with that situation. As an aside it just shows how success changes our perceptions of management. There was an interview I posted the other day where Winks was basically saying Pochettino has forced him to play through injury and the consensus was that this was a good thing to toughen him up. Absolutely guarantee if Silva did that with one of our young players everyone would be saying he was a Neanderthal and had ruined them.

Pleased to see the reports about Dowell from Sheffield United, it seems he's getting praise for things he's traditionally been criticised for so that can only be a good thing.

I just cant see Silva being that type of manager. I could be wrong but ruthless with players doesn't stand out from him. Having said that, he has been quite good at dropping big players compared to MOyes, Martinez,Koemi and Sam, all of whom played them regardless of form.

Villa went down because the senior players were not good enough and had zero fight, and let them down completely.

See where you are coming from Ijjy and there's definitely a correlation with our current lot as regards having zero fight. But I think we have far better players than Villa had at the time and I'm confident that will be the difference here.

Having said that Villa were truly dreadful that season and I think were relegated half way through April IIRC. They were more than 20 points adrift of safety which is crazy.

Our best player, according to many, was a key member of said Villa team.

Full match can be watched in boro's site. Dowell was decent with his workrate and positioning. Did well with important moments. He slowed the game down on the left side towards the end of the match which could be viewed as successful game management.

I think he was actually doing the basic stuff really well I don't remember seeing any skills or shots. Bit too slow for lwb position but he was did a job. Boro were poor though. Biggest plus was he always in the game.

I’ve watched him a few times on Loan now and he hardly ever wastes the ball, it’s a shame they don’t use him more at times. I’ve not seen anything in our squad this season to show he shouldn’t be in there. I’ve no idea if he will make it here or not but watching our midfielders and strikers in the last few months, they are not ahead of him. His laid back style will always make him look lazy/disinterested even when he’s not. We have enough headless chickens who look like they work hard with no end product, this lad creates more than I’ve seen of Walcott and Bernard.

No he hasn't. I explained this elsewhere. In 2016/17 he started 12 games and came on as a sub 21 times before his season was ended early by injury. Last season he started 18 times and came on as a sub 7 times before his season was effectively ended early by injury. He was very much a key player for them at the start of last season, he played almost every game for them before Christmas - including starting 5 consecutive CL games and their big league games like City, Liverpool and United - but didn't play after Christmas because of a chronic ankle injury. He turned 23 last week, so before his 23rd birthday he'd started 53 games for Spurs, and come on as a sub in 38 more. Dowell is currently on loan, so the earliest we can start the process of integration is next season. He will turn 23 in October of the following season, and he currently has 5 appearances for us under his belt. If he's going to cram in 86 more appearances for us before his 23rd birthday to match Winks then his progression certainly isn't going to be a slow and steady one.

Fair post mate, but Dowell is still only 21 so wills be 22 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.