• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laughable
No manager ever has a team that is solely his, unless at the club for at least 5 years
A good manager will shape a team around his signings and the players already in the squad
He could have 4 world class defenders available to him, and there would be no improvement.
It is all tactics and Silva is pretty inept in this area...
So being rubbish with half the same players has no bearing whatsoever?
The tactics of zonal may be wrong but we were crap man to man last season so what else should we do?
He's inherited a poor squad and it's going to take more than 4 or 5 players to put right.

You've just backed up my reasoning. He plays his 2 and needs to replace the other 2. Mina fitness issues haven't helped.
As for Bobby doing well he didn't, he got lucky his 1st season. Once he had to shape his own defence it went downhill quickly. Silva on the other hand has been unlucky with what he has inherited.
Martinez had nowhere the amount of money Silva had to. Spend. The money he had went on Lukaku , so unable to build on an aging defence

Our defensive frailties are down to simply tactics

Serious question.

Why was it the defensive quality of the Martinez 1st season down to what he inherited but the same is not attributed to Silva?
He has inherited an absolute shambles. They were rubbish last season marking man to man.
He's mostly only had 2 of his signings in defence playing all season. Surely he can't be judged until the whole defence is his.
We don't know but he may have tried them playing man to man in training and they are even worse at it than zonal. Last season would back this up.

A lot of outs there for him. Some may call excuses.
Im throwing this one out there for the boffins. What team has been successful playing zonal marking. There may be some i genuinely dont know. I have never seen the benefits of it. Giving a player a running jump start and more movement has always screamed no to me.
I can also presume any club in europe now thinking of maybe doing it looking at Everton and thinking hmmm maybe not.
There are zero signs silva is doing anything on the training ground regarding that defence that says well at least i can see shoots of improvement.
Its rotten. I hate the ball coming into our box now.

well no im not backing up your point because it's about management/coaching

that fat mess was a lot more organised with a worse defence than silva is ( obviously he was a lot more defence orientated )

re bobby, he didn't get lucky first season, we was excellent in that season, his second season was down to our players just getting older, howard baines jags were all getting on and distin retired and we didn't replace them

It's a great question though. The defense is much better this year than last, is that due to Silva's better structure, managing, etc. or the change in personnel?

Keane is here, no change there. Zouma, Digne - huge upgrade. Coleman is worse, but JonJoe was there a lot last year. Mina hasn't played much. Pickford has played MUCH worse.

So while Silva deserves a LOT of blame for set pieces, even if I think the CBs are the biggest problem, he deserves a lot of credit for the defense being much better in open play. MUCH better.

well no im not backing up your point because it's about management/coaching

that fat mess was a lot more organised with a worse defence than silva is ( obviously he was a lot more defence orientated )

re bobby, he didn't get lucky first season, we was excellent in that season, his second season was down to our players just getting older, howard baines jags were all getting on and distin retired and we didn't replace them
Again you've just backed up my point. Once he had to sort his own defence he couldn't do it.
I will give you Sam is a better defensive coach and I would still have him here now instead of getting Silva as any new manager was on a hiding to nothing with what they were inheriting. I'd have kept Sam just for the stability. Which is why I am standing by Silva for the same reason.

So being rubbish with half the same players has no bearing whatsoever?
The tactics of zonal may be wrong but we were crap man to man last season so what else should we do?
He's inherited a poor squad and it's going to take more than 4 or 5 players to put right.

As bad as you paint the squad he was left, it should be far better than we are showing..
Not just down to quality of players, down to tactics
And motivation from Silva

As bad as you paint the squad he was left, it should be far better than we are showing..
Not just down to quality of players, down to tactics
And motivation from Silva
Being no change in our fortunes for 5 or 6 years now would suggest it can't all be down to Silva.
We've been blaming the managers all along. What if we have been wrong all this time.

It's a great question though. The defense is much better this year than last, is that due to Silva's better structure, managing, etc. or the change in personnel?

Keane is here, no change there. Zouma, Digne - huge upgrade. Coleman is worse, but JonJoe was there a lot last year. Mina hasn't played much. Pickford has played MUCH worse.

So while Silva deserves a LOT of blame for set pieces, even if I think the CBs are the biggest problem, he deserves a lot of credit for the defense being much better in open play. MUCH better.

whilst the overall defence might be better in open play, it doesn't matter as we counter that by being a shambles defending set plays

that's like saying we have a midfield that are amazing at creating chances but have a striker who cannot finish, you need a balance of both?

Again you've just backed up my point. Once he had to sort his own defence he couldn't do it.
I will give you Sam is a better defensive coach and I would still have him here now instead of getting Silva as any new manager was on a hiding to nothing with what they were inheriting. I'd have kept Sam just for the stability. Which is why I am standing by Silva for the same reason.

again I'm not backing your point, because you said Martinez got lucky in his first season, he didn't he done well with the team he had, if he was terrible he would have somehow cocked up the defence in the first season and we would have conceded a load,

his downfall was not replacing players that needed replacing

if we still cant shift dead wood out in summer and we go largely with the same squad and manager next season then we are defo in a relegation scrap.

crap manager who can not defend - with over paid mediocre players.

this is not Everton FC anymore.

Being no change in our fortunes for 5 or 6 years now would suggest it can't all be down to Silva.
We've been blaming the managers all along. What if we have been wrong all this time.
I believe Silva was a flavour of the time signing
My personal view is get proven in, somebody who can shape teams and build
I do sympathise with Silva as he is clearly out of his depth

Martinez had nowhere the amount of money Silva had to. Spend. The money he had went on Lukaku , so unable to build on an aging defence

Our defensive frailties are down to simply tactics

Martinez had 100m over 3 years to spend.

Silva has spent 80m in 1 year.

So Martinez had more money, simple FACTS.

I want him to do well and succeed but I suspect that once again people have made their minds up and won’t change unless we win something.

Everyone is a pundit these days so they don’t want to be seen to be wrong. They can’t lose face to their mates at the pub.
no mate. weve got a league one standard manager trying to make it in the premier league and failing … again.

cant even get basic defending right.

Status
Not open for further replies.