2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickford does flatter to deceive...

Needs work on aerial ability,judgement,decision making & just needs to calm down & be a solid keeper...

Far too edgy & excitable which spreads panic & a lack of confidence throughout the team...

Cost us a few times this season needs to concentrate & practice his weaknesses...

But to blame him solely for our current bad form is undeniably incorrect...

Sorry WHAT.
Without wanting to put words in his mouth, i think the point he’s trying to make is that he’s arguably amongst the best in the league when it comes to those sprawling. out-stretched, fingertip saves. What my Dad calls ‘Hollywood’ saves.

But when it boils down to it, his positioning, distribution and command of his area is very average. At times, it hasn’t been that good. His communication with his defence, concentration and resilience also leave a great deal to be desired.

He is still young and he will improve with experience, but i’m not sure he will ever outgrow the ambitions of this club. By that, i mean I don’t think he’ll ever be a top six goalkeeper. If, by some chain of events, we break into that category, I don’t think he will be a part of it.
I mean, I can put it on caps if you'd like but, yeah, Keiran put it mostly what I mean. He is a FANTASTIC shot stopped. He is found wanting for just about every other aspect of his game. He doesn't really seem to set up the defence for set pieces, his distribution is generally awful, he NEVER comes out for a ball even when the fn thing is in the 6 yard box, he STILL palms balls back in to the middle.

I mean, I can put it on caps if you'd like but, yeah, Keiran put it mostly what I mean. He is a FANTASTIC shot stopped. He is found wanting for just about every other aspect of his game. He doesn't really seem to set up the defence for set pieces, his distribution is generally awful, he NEVER comes out for a ball even when the fn thing is in the 6 yard box, he STILL palms balls back in to the middle.
But the thing is he is not a fantastic shot stopper.

He is from distance considerably more than not. And I don't mean 35 yards out but he usually is really good at one on ones and reactionary saves.
So are shots from 35 yards are not shots then,I have never got that statement he is a good shot stopper mate to be honest I think if you want to be a top keeper you have to be good at stopping shots I think it goes with the job.

So are shots from 35 yards are not shots then,I have never got that statement he is a good shot stopper mate to be honest I think if you want to be a top keeper you have to be good at stopping shots I think it goes with the job.
No i mean things that aren't inside his 6 yard box like 2 of 3 were yesterday.

I'm not a fan of his honestly. I just think playing down his shot stopping is being a bit willfully ignorant.

Peak Howard > Peak Pickford, however the potential is there with Pickford, he just needs to get over his Derby day mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.