2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's just like any father to be at present.
Got his mind on things other than his job.
He must have been worrying about his lass's swollen finger as he belatedly realised the Digne ball on Saturday was destined for the back of the net.

The Zouma one against Spurs was totally Pickfords fault. Zouma was looking at the ball to clear it. Pickford came rushing out of his goal and should have seen Zouma clearly and should not have come out.
Or you could say Pickford can see everything and will have shouted that it was his but Zouma didn't trust him and get out of the way. I'm not having that Pickford comes flying out of his box without screaming his head off that its his, in which case Zouma needs to get out of the way. The other argument is that it isn't Pickfords ball to deal with and he shouldn't have been there, which is fair. But the fact he's come means it is his ball.

Neither are blameless in that situation.

He came out against Jesus to narrow the angle. If he stayed on his line you’d be saying he should have come out.

He didn't have to come out, Jesus was wide of the goal and there were other players in the box. If he just stood at his near post Jesus would have had a job scoring from there. It's fine to make the decision to come, but you have to get there. he did it well against Fulham and Bournemouth when he saved at players feet, but he misjudged that one and cost us a goal.

Or you could say Pickford can see everything and will have shouted that it was his but Zouma didn't trust him and get out of the way. I'm not having that Pickford comes flying out of his box without screaming his head off that its his, in which case Zouma needs to get out of the way. The other argument is that it isn't Pickfords ball to deal with and he shouldn't have been there, which is fair. But the fact he's come means it is his ball.

Neither are blameless in that situation.

I always thought it was a sort of unwritten rule in football that the player facing away from his own goal has right of way in such situations as they can see everything, and should be allowed to clear. I don't know if this is a widespread rule though, or if my coach at under-14s level, Brian, was a better tactical thinker and man manager than I gave him credit for at the time. Brian would definitely blame Zouma in that situation, and I would be inclined to agree.

I always thought it was a sort of unwritten rule in football that the player facing away from his own goal has right of way in such situations as they can see everything, and should be allowed to clear. I don't know if this is a widespread rule though, or if my coach at under-14s level, Brian, was a better tactical thinker and man manager than I gave him credit for at the time. Brian would definitely blame Zouma in that situation, and I would be inclined to agree.
Thats what I think, Pickford can see everything there so should take command of the situation and in which case Zouma needs to trust him. The only way Pickford is in the wrong there is if he has come 30 yards out of his goal and not said a word which I highly doubt.

Only way that's Pickfords ball is if it's a good 10 yards clear of Zouma, heading goalwards and rolling. Keeper comes 10 yards outside his box on a bouncing ball with a defender still in pursuit, it's 100% his fault, no blame on Zouma whatsoever.

Watch it again, I genuinely don't know what Pickford was thinking. Chances are he wasn't. It was angled ball over the top bouncing away from goal. Son was nowhere near it till they collided,

Thats what I think, Pickford can see everything there so should take command of the situation and in which case Zouma needs to trust him. The only way Pickford is in the wrong there is if he has come 30 yards out of his goal and not said a word which I highly doubt.
See to me this is akin to Pickford starting a fire and then blaming Zouma for not passing him the extinguisher quick enough when it ends up burning the house down. Pickford just had no need whatsoever to be there. If he shouted and Zouma didn't listen then there's some blame on Zouma, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Pickford caused the problem to start with.

See to me this is akin to Pickford starting a fire and then blaming Zouma for not passing him the extinguisher quick enough when it ends up burning the house down. Pickford just had no need whatsoever to be there. If he shouted and Zouma didn't listen then there's some blame on Zouma, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Pickford caused the problem to start with.
Thats a very good analogy mate. I agree with that.

However we know Pickfords decision making can be erratic, he's tried to be positive and on the front foot and if Zouma wasn't in his way he would have cleared it. As I say, neither are blameless.

But I do like that even a couple of weeks after the derby horror show he doesn't hide and try and play it safe. He wants to help the team as much as he can, even if it doesn't come off.

Only way that's Pickfords ball is if it's a good 10 yards clear of Zouma, heading goalwards and rolling. Keeper comes 10 yards outside his box on a bouncing ball with a defender still in pursuit, it's 100% his fault, no blame on Zouma whatsoever.

Watch it again, I genuinely don't know what Pickford was thinking. Chances are he wasn't. It was angled ball over the top bouncing away from goal. Son was nowhere near it till they collided,
As the ball is hit over, it is a split second for him to come or not. He decided he could make it, and he did. When the decision was made for him to come he will have been shouting that it is his in which case Zouma needs to move as it is now Pickford's responsibility. If he stays it is a simple pass back to him from Zouma. It's one of them, on another day we get away with it as it couldn't have fallen to a better player in Son.

As the ball is hit over, it is a split second for him to come or not. He decided he could make it, and he did. When the decision was made for him to come he will have been shouting that it is his in which case Zouma needs to move as it is now Pickford's responsibility. If he stays it is a simple pass back to him from Zouma. It's one of them, on another day we get away with it as it couldn't have fallen to a better player in Son.

Disagree. Look at the distance he's already covered. Either that or he was already way off his line. But the main problem for me, is he approaches the ball from a different angle and away from Zoumas eyeline. Like I said, it's not actually bouncing towards goal. If Zouma knows Son is behind him, no way is he leaving that, especially as its bouncing. Pickford should see Zouma is in pursuit, and in the event he misses it, Son still has a keeper to beat. Attricious decision making from a bang average goalkeeper.

Disagree. Look at the distance he's already covered. Either that or he was already way off his line. But the main problem for me, is he approaches the ball from a different angle and away from Zoumas eyeline. Like I said, it's not actually bouncing towards goal. If Zouma knows Son is behind him, no way is he leaving that, especially as its bouncing. Pickford should see Zouma is in pursuit, and in the event he misses it, Son still has a keeper to beat. Attricious decision making from a bang average goalkeeper.
I agree that the decision was wrong. However when the decision was made then it becomes his ball to deal with and Zouma needs to hear the shout and leave it to Pickford or deal with it. He did neither. Both are to blame for the goal, poor decision making and hesitancy cost us.

I like the sense being spoken now. I agree having watched the Jesus goal a few times again. But I’m still sure he’d have got a shot away.

The Tottenham one was indeed a car crash. But we don’t know who shouted what. Pickfords clearly thought he could get there and zouma would back off as soon as he saw him coming out. I still can’t see why zouma hasn’t seen Pickford as he’s running.

Status
Not open for further replies.