Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi guys

Having some big problems with my little sister at the moment. She is 30 years old and has suffered with depression for a couple of years and has become dependent on alcohol.

There is no obvious explanation for her depression and she now becomes anxious when confronted with very simple day-to-day scenarios. She has tried counselling sessions and AA meetings and there has been periods of short term improvement but she keeps relapsing.

Her health has been effected. She has pain in her live and has numbness in her arms. She has 2 kids so is terrified of seeking medical help because of concern about losing the kids. We are trying to weigh up whether to intervene at this stage as she has had suicidal thoughts. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Jonny,

As you can see by my name on here, I’m unfortunately a wanderers fan! Always liked Everton, but due to some family issues of my own, I’ve been following this thread and think it’s a credit to Everton fans. My father has been an alcoholic for around the past 10 years or so, it suddenly got worse a few years ago and affected our family hugely. He’s been to rehab twice, attempted suicide, AA, counselling, eventually I found a pretty unknown treatment to the UK. It’s a different way of looking at alcoholism and has so far had a huge effect on my father. Its called the Sinclair method, if you google ‘optionssavelives’ you’ll find plenty of information, there’s also a book on the matter and a programme on amazon prime called one little pill. The recovery rates are frankly astounding in comparison to normal treatments here in the uk.

Hope things improve for you, I know how truly painful and saddening it is to see a loved one consumed by alcohol. If you need any further help, I’ll be glad to try my best.

Been for a biopsy today so I can't go the gym for next few weeks which helped me get out of my slump. I might need you lot for a little help like last time if I start dropping. At minute I feel good so I'm hoping to ride the wave and stay as I am. In the meantime if any of you need me I'm always on here so if you direct message I'll pick it up normally within a couple of hours. I love how everyone supports each other on this thread and feep part of something.

Been for a biopsy today so I can't go the gym for next few weeks which helped me get out of my slump. I might need you lot for a little help like last time if I start dropping. At minute I feel good so I'm hoping to ride the wave and stay as I am. In the meantime if any of you need me I'm always on here so if you direct message I'll pick it up normally within a couple of hours. I love how everyone supports each other on this thread and feep part of something.

When do you get the results mate ?

When do you get the results mate ?

They need to discuss it with a team and then I meet them in 4 weeks. I'm hoping I don't need surgery as it would he big procedure. I already have a mystery on going bowel problems that 9 years later still has them baffled so it could be a complication of that because of where it is.

I've benefited and I can see others have as well. Everyone needs an outlet it won't work for everyone but it's a place to go. I read this every time someone posts just on the off chance I can help. @EFCPaul reminds me of myself so when I said my message to him it helped me as well. We're all Evertonians (well most of us) and human beings and this place is great. Anyways I'll stop rambling as is my tendency and just say thank you.

Hi Jonny,

As you can see by my name on here, I’m unfortunately a wanderers fan! Always liked Everton, but due to some family issues of my own, I’ve been following this thread and think it’s a credit to Everton fans. My father has been an alcoholic for around the past 10 years or so, it suddenly got worse a few years ago and affected our family hugely. He’s been to rehab twice, attempted suicide, AA, counselling, eventually I found a pretty unknown treatment to the UK. It’s a different way of looking at alcoholism and has so far had a huge effect on my father. Its called the Sinclair method, if you google ‘optionssavelives’ you’ll find plenty of information, there’s also a book on the matter and a programme on amazon prime called one little pill. The recovery rates are frankly astounding in comparison to normal treatments here in the uk.

Hope things improve for you, I know how truly painful and saddening it is to see a loved one consumed by alcohol. If you need any further help, I’ll be glad to try my best.

Thanks will take a look

She has been going for a few months. My Dad drives her and waits in the Car so we know she is attending. She has said the sessions do help but sadly she keeps lapsing. We are trying to get her to call us when she is struggling but what is generally happening is we will get the call for help after she has been drinking. Very frustrating and sad. It feels like we are at a cross roads where we are going to have to take drastic action to save her life even if it means it causes issues with the children
Is she going to the meetings because she wants to or because she thinks it is what you all want her to do. If it's the latter them she may not get anything out of it. She has to admit to herself that she has a problem. I represented a bloke in work who was caught drinking cans of lager in the disabled loos. The employer would have supported him and he would have kept his job had he a) admitted he had a problem and b) sought help. He was completely in denial, According to him he didn't drink any more than anybody else. He went to AA meetings to please his wife because she wanted him to go. He couldn't see the point. Very very sad. As it was he turned up to the disciplinary drunk and stinking of booze. He lost his job.

In a bit of a bind people.

I have my interview next Thursday that I'm going too but I've had my holiday request from the current place rejected. I can't and won't miss this interview but if I call in a sick day I am afraid it will be used as a reason to dismiss me (I've had too many in the past 12 months). I think my only option really seems to be handing in my resignation, least that way I can avoid having a dismissal on my record.

Any advice people, I'm really not well-versed in employment contracts.