2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, BVB don't want to release Weigl even though he's a sub, because this season they have a real chance of winning the championship and don't want to jeopardize it. Maybe that'll change but I hardly see it happening.
Latest news, ok rumour, on Gueye is that he told the board that he's not happy with their decision of not letting him go and that he doesn't see his future in Everton anymore.

I mean... D'you think Tuchel doesn't want to play attractive football?

I know he has better players, like, but there's a reason PSG want him.
I think it comes down to availability right now. Not cup tied in Europe. Yes the could buy someone younger, but if you believe the reports they are in pole position for De jong and they also want wiegl and have also been linked with Allan from Napoli.

If they get Gana, he will be a bit part from next season

Unfortunately your just stuck in the moyes way of football. Scrap fight defend for your lives. Poch, pep and klopp have moved the goal posts. Football has moved on from dinosaur tactics. So basically you’re saying we can’t have a player with an engine who can play as well.

Well no not at all, the difference is he CAN play. I don't get the people who seem to think he can't.

You need an engine in your team. Every great side has one. I think you are getting confused about what an engine is though. A player who can keep play moving, who offers an option all the time and is always there. All the managers you mentioned have it in their side. Its not a player who just goes around kicking things, that would be more of a stopper role.

The Moyes comments are a bit weird to be honest seeing as I was never a fan and blame him for pretty much everything...

So you want to play an attractive brand of football, but you want to keep Gana. Ok mate nice one

I totally disagree with your first point, I believe we can atract top players, we signed 3 players from Barcelona and we signed a Brazilian on a free transfer who’s been playing regular champions league football. And apparently had loads of clubs after him , I’m sure some of them had European football Money talks.
;)

You need an engine in your team. Every great side has one. I think you are getting confused about what an engine is though. A player who can keep play moving, who offers an option all the time and is always there. All the managers you mentioned have it in their side. Its not a player who just goes around kicking things, that would be more of a stopper role.

That's not Gueye though, he doesn't keep play moving at all, in fact, often he slows it right down. For all of his criticism, Mccarthy did/does a better job of keeping play moving, as he rarely took more than 1 touch. Gueye regularly holds onto the ball too long, which is part of the reason he loses it, because he invites pressure and then has to rush his pass. And when he tries playing 1st time, he's one of the worst at it.

I mean, this can't be news to people, he's been doing it for best part of 3 years now, and all the plaudits he receives for his personal stats shouldn't hide from the fact. Same goes for Sigurdsson, the debate between those who use his positive stats and those who are simply underwhelmed by his overall performance is ongoing. It's just being able to see when something doesn't quite fit.

You can forgive the odd below par game, everyone has an off day from time to time, but seeing patterns over time is what causes people to question them.

I have no qualm about Gueye, no reason to not like him, not even to the point of Sigurdsson where I do admittedly hold his transfer fee and weight of expectation against him. And I have no doubt that maybe, in another team, or another system, he may have some use.

But he has never performed a role for Everton whereby even a fraction of the adulation he receives from some is deserved. I genuinely believe so many people were taken in by the early rhetoric around the bargain fee and the stats he achieved being similar to Kantes. The difference being, 1 of them was transforming a relegation threatened team into unlikely champions, while the other was helping a relegation threatened team get relegated.

They are not, and never will be, in the same ballpark, and his value is overestimated because of the supposed similarities. If we can get anything over £20m for him, we would be fools not to.

Last edited:
What does the player want?
Do Brands/Silva have a replacement in mind ?
30M is a lot of money for a player approaching thirty years of age but if his absence meant we dropped four or five league places that would eat up a lot of the transfer fee in lost revenue from league placings.
I doubt that this interest from PSG has only recently been expressed , if there is any interest at all, and I don't believe we can let a player that always starts in the team when fit leave without bringing in a replacement.
We have seen that the players already at the club would not be able to fill the gap left by Gueye.

So you want to play an attractive brand of football, but you want to keep Gana. Ok mate nice one

I totally disagree with your first point, I believe we can atract top players, we signed 3 players from Barcelona and we signed a Brazilian on a free transfer who’s been playing regular champions league football. And apparently had loads of clubs after him , I’m sure some of them had European football Money talks.

A Brazilian who can't shoot and has a very poor end product relative to the chances he carves out for himself. But that is why he is at Everton and not a Bayern Munich, because he has flaws to his game. He is still a very useful player to have and has unique attributes that no one else in our squad has to the same level.

That is the exact same with Gana in my opinion. What he does well, he does excellent and there are few in the league that can match him for it. Of course he has weaknesses that he could do with improving on. Just like Bernard could improve with his shooting etc, but I wouldn't be wanting him moved on any time soon either. If we get to the point we want to break in to the top 4 or 5, then we will most likely be needing upgrades on Bernard and Gana.

That's not Gueye though, he doesn't keep play moving at all, in fact, often he slows it right down. For all of his criticism, Mccarthy did/does a better job of keeping play moving, as he rarely took more than 1 touch. Gueye regularly holds onto the ball too long, which is part of the reason he loses it, because he invites pressure and then has to rush his pass. And when he tries playing 1st time, he's one of the worst at it.
Funny how he manages to be statistically one of the best in our entire side at NOT being dispossessed and NOT have poor touches, ALL while also having the most touches on the team with one of the highest passing success rates. So either the stats are COMPLETELY wrong, or a couple of you aren't looking objectively at the player.

So it seems to me that he actually takes really GOOD care of the ball and we already know he's literally the best in the league at winning it back.

So he's not the most dynamic passer. So what? N'golo Kante scored like 3 goals in well over a 100 matches with Chelsea and LCFC. He had like 1 assist a year with Chelsea and had a BIG 4 assist season with Leicester. I think you'll find that Gana has very comparable stats as well. Gana does have a lower Pass completion % (by a small margin), but he takes care of it a bit better from what the stats say.

Did ANYONE complain that Kante didn't take good enough care of the ball in his role the last several years?

Funny how he manages to be statistically one of the best in our entire side at NOT being dispossessed and NOT have poor touches, ALL while also having the most touches on the team with one of the highest passing success rates. So either the stats are COMPLETELY wrong, or a couple of you aren't looking objectively at the player.

So it seems to me that he actually takes really GOOD care of the ball and we already know he's literally the best in the league at winning it back.

So he's not the most dynamic passer. So what? N'golo Kante scored like 3 goals in well over a 100 matches with Chelsea and LCFC. He had like 1 assist a year with Chelsea and had a BIG 4 assist season with Leicester. I think you'll find that Gana has very comparable stats as well. Gana does have a lower Pass completion % (by a small margin), but he takes care of it a bit better from what the stats say.

Did ANYONE complain that Kante didn't take good enough care of the ball in his role the last several years?

Listen, I've said, the argument for and against the stats are meaningless, they tell you what they tell you. I am capable of watching full games and forming an opinion without looking at stats. And passing stats can be misleading. A completed pass is 1 that leaves Gueye and is taken by another player. A completed pass can still be a poor pass. Christ, people Criticise Niasse for scoring "Bad" Goals.

But you keep regurgitating the same tired old stats about his personal contributions to a game.

Tell me this, seen as I am judging by your name that you are a fan. If someone told you that Robert Fripp wasn't as good a guitarist as say, Noel Gallagher, because Noel Gallagher had more hits in less time and fewer albums, would you just accept that?

I have watched Gueye for us now for almost 3 years and haven't been impressed with what I've seen. He has been in this league for 4 years and, in my eyes, has failed to make an impact in any of the sides he's played in, other than to bolster his own personal stats in teams that have not been improved by his presence. Kante, on the other hand, in the same time, has won the league twice with different teams and won a world Cup, achievements that supplement his stats, his stats do not define him.

We will never agree on this because we are quite clearly seeing different things, whether that is things we want to see or not is another argument.

And for the Record, King Crimson are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.