Match Thread Everton v AFC Bournemouth - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I often do checked Bournemouth forums before and after the game.

Before the game they fancied it, saying we do gift goals away and Goodison isn't a great place for them to play.
After the game, you had a split of some being salty over referee decisions, thinking Gomes should have been sent off, and others that accepted once We scored they were never getting back in the game.

There are a lot of posters worrying about being dragged into a relegation scrap, which is a bit dramatic there is enough ground between them and the bottom 3 and they are likely to pick up enough points to at least stay around the position they are in now.

I don't actually mind Taylor (relatively) compared to some of the other refs.

Yesterday he was crap, though.

I thought it would have been harsh to send Gomes off, although I agree his tackle on King and then the fling at Lerma were stupid.

Lerma, however, had about 5 or 6 niggly fouls that went unpunished. By that logic, he should also have gone had Gomes gone.

Gana one wasn't a pen - wasn't a dive either, like. Gana didn't actually clip Brooks' legs - had he done then it was a foul. Brooks fell because Gana was there and he was trying to evade the challenge.

Gomes' one would have been more of a penalty but at the same time Lerma had hold of his shirt and his dive was ludicrous.

Bournemouth are a good footballing team but they were just as niggly as us yesterday. How Cook didn't get a card is beyond me.

Taylor had a dreadful game. The countless soft bookings and him constantly giving everything as a foul encouraged the diving and play acting from Bournemouth. They were as bad as team for cheating as I've seen in England all season. And a lot of that was due to the abysmal refereeing which rewarded it.

They could have had a penalty yes. Gomes should never have been sent off. There was only one poor challenge in the game from Keane who was rightly booked. Otherwise it was a clean game yet he booked 5 players.

Taylor had a dreadful game. The countless soft bookings and him constantly giving everything as a foul encouraged the diving and play acting from Bournemouth. They were as bad as team for cheating as I've seen in England all season. And a lot of that was due to the abysmal refereeing which rewarded it.

They could have had a penalty yes. Gomes should never have been sent off. There was only one poor challenge in the game from Keane who was rightly booked. Otherwise it was a clean game yet he booked 5 players.
Agree with this. It seemed the difference between the teams (apart from the goals) was the speed at which the Bournemouth players hit the deck at the slightest contact. Also it looked to me like Zouma was pulled down in the build up to their chance that hit the post. And what was Gomes booked for? Not giving a Bournemouth player the ball for a free kick and getting a shove for his trouble? A second yellow would have been an injustice and the ref knew it!

Everton, Bournemouth, The Reff.
Shight, shighter, shightest.

I know it was a miserable, freezing wet day, and maybe you got soaked. That is the only reason I can see why you might deem Everton to be "Shight" to quote you. I enjoyed the game and thought we were much improved, at least from where I sat. Also Bournemouth played well, probably the best I have seen from them since they came up. Excellent passers of the ball but not much threat. Funny how people can have a completely different take on it.

The win was the most important thing, and we got it. There was much improved spirit and aggression in the second half.

We lose shape so easily though, and some of the panic in our play resembles keystone cops at times. That shouldn't be the case at home to Bournemouth.

We have plenty of experience in the team, but these period of frantic panic seem to be a chararcterisic feature of our game these days, replicated under several managers. We certainly need to keep the ball much better and keep shape, but I don't understand how the players lose composure so easily and so often.

I know it was a miserable, freezing wet day, and maybe you got soaked. That is the only reason I can see why you might deem Everton to be "Shight" to quote you. I enjoyed the game and thought we were much improved, at least from where I sat. Also Bournemouth played well, probably the best I have seen from them since they came up. Excellent passers of the ball but not much threat. Funny how people can have a completely different take on it.
I don't think there's much chance that Degsy got soaked. I don't think it was raining where he lives.

The win was the most important thing, and we got it. There was much improved spirit and aggression in the second half.

We lose shape so easily though, and some of the panic in our play resembles keystone cops at times. That shouldn't be the case at home to Bournemouth.

We have plenty of experience in the team, but these period of frantic panic seem to be a chararcterisic feature of our game these days, replicated under several managers. We certainly need to keep the ball much better and keep shape, but I don't understand how the players lose composure so easily and so often.
We saw the same loss of composure/panicking in the previous home game against Lincoln, and I too am completely baffled as to why this occurs for no good reason. I think that yesterday's period of getting stuck in is something we should look to build on, even more than the actual result. The ref's awful display may have been the source of our anger, and we may have come close to a red card or two, but we've waited a long time for this lot to bare their teeth. A lot more of that and we'll have much less to complain about.

Had a great day out yesterday thanks blues. Atmosphere was decent too, more of the 'bear pit' style we remember. Whilst this may have been spurred on by the referee, with the fixtures we've got coming up at home I hope we can produce even more.

I thought the referee was trying to keep play moving, then realised he just didn't like everton and gave everything to Bournemouth, Richalison played well but couldn't finish, and I think dcl was the right substitution because he was getting pushed around and dcl is stronger player who could bounce off the challenges. Good game and result, bournemouth better in first half but Everton far better in the second...more positive now for the rest of the season, once they learn how make successful passes and finish the chances we'll be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.