2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gregg? Any scenario that paints him as a white knight simply isn't true.

Kings dock fell through "officially" in 2003, the spat in the board room was 2004, at the time Gregg couldn't show he had 15 mill to invest in the club to oust Bill. He also wanted a reverse mortgage to fund Kings dock that was knocked back rightly by the board. It would have been good for shareholders but bad for the club in the long term.The construction cost became huge and out of our reach and bad for the club in the position at the time.

People seem to reminise about Kings Dock as if was this to good to be true offer. People forget it would have been part of the overall project and site and Everton were only part owners in the whole scheme, essentially meaning that the ground would have been owned by an overall holding company made up of other parties and not by Everton football club. It was a nice looking ground, but their was certainly devil in the detail. It wasn't like we just had this brilliant stadium for very little with out a rub.
Objection MiLord!
The witness is offering opinion as fact.

Johnson appointed the manager which won us the FA Cup and put up the money to sign Amokachi and Ferguson, two players which helped us win it so we hardly won it 'in spite of him'.

And it was nearly two years after that cup win that Royle left in March 1997, not a 'few months later'.

at least Johnson knew when it was time to get out
Yeah he did didn't he, right after he, off his own bat, double the number of shares to 35,000.

I think we're in one of those arsenic Vs cyanide discussions here...
The topic is Kenwright, not who was worse/better.

You are totally delusional.

So all the problems the club has faced since Johnson sold up are all his fault??

You're clearly not all there. A bit of an embarrassment tbh.

Johnson almost presided over our relegation in 1994 and 1998.He forced Joe Royle out.He promised us a world class manager in summer 1997.Only to then ask the late great Howard Kendall, to come back for a third stint as manager.He then gave Howard just peanuts to spend.He left Howard lingering for weeks, after the seasons end, only for Howard to find out he was fired though the media.He allowed Walter Smith sign players, with money that wasn't actually there.Such recklessness put the club, in serious financial trouble.He left Everton in a very bad state, after he was eventually forced out.Im no fan of Bill Kenwright.But let's not as a consequence of our issues and frustrations with Bill, allow us to indulge in revisionist history with regards to the Peter Johnson era.

Johnson almost presided over our relegation in 1994 and 1998.He forced Joe Royle out.He promised us a world class manager in summer 1997.Only to then ask the late great Howard Kendall, to come back for a third stint as manager.He then gave Howard just peanuts to spend.He left Howard lingering for weeks, after the seasons end, only for Howard to find out he was fired though the media.He allowed Walter Smith sign players, with money that wasn't actually there.Such recklessness put the club, in serious financial trouble.He left Everton in a very bad state, after he was eventually forced out.Im no fan of Bill Kenwright.But let's not as a consequence of our issues and frustrations with Bill, allow us to indulge in revisionist history with regards to the Peter Johnson era.

Johnson could be blamed for lots of things, but he only bought the club in July 1994, two months after we dodged the drop so he can hardly be blamed for 'presiding' over our near relegation that spring.

Dr David Marsh was still Chairman and BK was very much part of that board when we very nearly went down that year.

Last edited:

I have a lot of time for Bill, dont get me wrong, i cringe like everyone else at times. But he certainly always had our best interests at heart and safeguarded the club through many of the pitfalls that could have befallen us (nearlyl did).

It wasnt a period of massive growth in our history, but Bill never promised anything else, he never said he was billionaire and was going to invest every penny in the club and we could look forward to splurges etc. He was exactly what he said he was, a custodian who would look after the welfare of the club until the right person came along to take it to the next level, thats what happened.

Familiartiy breads contempt and there are rightly critiques and things in hindsight i am sure he would change, im not sure everyone remembers the manure show of Johnson and the low ebb and peril the club was in when he took over and the circumstances he had to manage. People i think remember the middle and end and glass ceiling.

He certainly left us better then he found us, so im grateful to him for that.

Massive Vomit

A chairman an owner who failed to grow a football club over 10 years and actually end up with nothing to spend despite constant growth on the pitch is a failure.

When everyone else were growing we stood still, even paying the bills with our best players being sold at one point.

Kenwright had this club running on the bones of its arse despite the manager putting it into European football almost yearly.

Nothing about kenwright tenure here should be celebrated. He failed the club.

Gregg? Any scenario that paints him as a white knight simply isn't true.

Kings dock fell through "officially" in 2003, the spat in the board room was 2004, at the time Gregg couldn't show he had 15 mill to invest in the club to oust Bill. He also wanted a reverse mortgage to fund Kings dock that was knocked back rightly by the board. It would have been good for shareholders but bad for the club in the long term.The construction cost became huge and out of our reach and bad for the club in the position at the time.

People seem to reminise about Kings Dock as if was this to good to be true offer. People forget it would have been part of the overall project and site and Everton were only part owners in the whole scheme, essentially meaning that the ground would have been owned by an overall holding company made up of other parties and not by Everton football club. It was a nice looking ground, but their was certainly devil in the detail. It wasn't like we just had this brilliant stadium for very little with out a rub.

Thank you Neiler for putting me right.

Johnson could be blamed for lots of things, but he only bought the club in July 1994, two months after we dodged the drop so he can hardly be blamed for 'presiding' over our near relegation that spring.

Dr David Marsh was still Chairman and BK was very much part of that board when we very nearly went down that year.

I think BK was glad to finally have a seat in the Director's box instead of the boy's pen.

Johnson almost presided over our relegation in 1994 and 1998.

I was there for the Coventry game right next to the directors box and he is lucky the pitch invasion after the game stayed on the pitch, he would have been lynched if the crowd could get at him.

The crowd made it clear in no uncertain terms he wasn't going to be in charge anymore, not surprised he bailed out. The look of fear on his face was a sight to see.

I was there for the Coventry game right next to the directors box and he is lucky the pitch invasion after the game stayed on the pitch, he would have been lynched if the crowd could get at him.

The crowd made it clear in no uncertain terms he wasn't going to be in charge anymore, not surprised he bailed out. The look of fear on his face was a sight to see.

I was there that day myself, I think people also forget that Kenwright was on the board during those two relegation battles, he's been the constant figure in the Everton boardroom since 1989, coincidentally just after we stopped being good

Was he a good owner? No

Was he a good chairman? Maybe

Is he a good man? I think so.

Time to stop looking at Kenwright and what's currently happening at the club, he has no real power left.

If I met him I'd shake his hand and insist he buys me a pint.

How many times has Bill got us into Europe compared to Mosh?

Asking for my neighbor who sells candy apples to the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.