2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the answer then. Ship him to Newcastle.

Just saying that the English best goal scorer of the last 20 years had similar stats at his age. Indeed, if you look at the best English goal scorer today (Kane), at the same age he has 17 goals in 67 games, with all but 3 of those in the lower leagues. In the PL he had 3 goals in 15 games at DCL's age.

If our coach reckons the lad has talent and is worth sticking with, then maybe he's better placed (and equipped) to know than we are.

At the same age Shearer had scored 10 goals in 77 games.
You’re not allowed to mention Calvert-Lewin in comparison to where other top strikers where at his age as people will blow a gasket thinking you’re saying he’s gonna be as good or better than him.

I like the lad, he obviously needs working on in front of goal but it can take a bit of time for it to click, the good thing is that his physicality is good enough for him to not get bullied in this league despite his age and technically (his touch and hold up play) seem to be improving every game. He’s lightyears ahead of where he was when he first started popping up from the bench and given his work rate rate and pace he’s far more suitable to Silva’s system than someone like Tosun.

You’re not allowed to mention Calvert-Lewin in comparison to where other top strikers where at his age as people will blow a gasket thinking you’re saying he’s gonna be as good or better than him.

I like the lad, he obviously needs working on in front of goal but it can take a bit of time for it to click, the good thing is that his physicality is good enough for him to not get bullied in this league despite his age and technically (his touch and hold up play) seem to be improving every game. He’s lightyears ahead of where he was when he first started popping up from the bench and given his work rate rate and pace he’s far more suitable to Silva’s system than someone like Tosun.

haha i was just about to say this but thought better of it,cba explaining over and over.

Some people just don't understand how football is played.

If you play a 4-2-3-1 then your 1 up front needs to be able to hold on to the ball and have sufficient strength, pace, and aerial ability to stretch the game far up the pitch and stop the opposition from just pushing up and squeezing the available space for the 3 behind the striker. Unless your 3 are super creative, ours aren't.

DCL is growing into this role well.

If you look at our stats we aren't actually creating that many quality chances. Our only player in the top 25 of expected assists (the measurement of every chance created whether scored or not) is Digne. There is no point playing a "boss slotter" if he isn't getting chances. DCL helps increase scoring opportunities the 3 behind the striker by keeping hold of the ball in attacking areas.

Of players his age very few have his aerial ability and his awareness is improving all the time. His scoring record is actually fairly decent.

There seems to be a fair bit of anger in here lately. People are allowed to have differing opinions without it being personal.

I rate the lad and I’m happy he’s being given a run of games.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You can't have blokes complaining that he's rubbish at his age, and then also be wise after the fact that other strikers who turned out to be boss were clearly destined for great things despite being similarly hopeless at his age. And for what it's worth, I don't expect DCL to be anywhere near as good as either Shearer or Kane, but making that judgement at 21 years of age is a bit daft.

He’s our saviour, arise sir Dominic royle Kane Sharp shearer Lewin :)

It wasn't wrongly disallowed. He pushed him in the back. He's thick as well... constantly gives away soft free kicks when we have the defence under pressure.

you can't seriously believe 8 goals is a good return for a 21 year old striker?

I think he’s improving. He occupied the Burnley Centre backs well and he caused Spurs problems too. It was a bit of a push on the back (no worse than the push on Michael Keane) but I don’t think that or giving away fouls makes him thick, the header itself was brilliant.

He may never be the finished article but he’s showing signs that he is getting better.

If our coach reckons the lad has talent and is worth sticking with, then maybe he's better placed (and equipped) to know than we are.

We stuck with Anichebe for 7 years. 131 PL games 18 goals. I could have told you after a year he wasn’t the new Shearer.

On a more serious note... Nothing against the lad - as I said in a previous post, at the moment, he can do a job of moving players around if he puts a shift in and will get the odd goal. It’s up to him to keep improving, when selected, and hopefully it will click. Belief, mentality and a good work ethic will, in my opinion, be vital for him.

Any player has the potential to make it. Vardy was playing for the dog & duck a few years ago and ended up a PL winner, England international and breaking an incredible RVN record.

He will always, as any blue wearing the shirt, get my full support.

We stuck with Anichebe for 7 years. 131 PL games 18 goals. I could have told you after a year he wasn’t the new Shearer.

On a more serious note... Nothing against the lad - as I said in a previous post, at the moment, he can do a job of moving players around if he puts a shift in and will get the odd goal. It’s up to him to keep improving, when selected, and hopefully it will click. Belief, mentality and a good work ethic will, in my opinion, be vital for him.

Any player has the potential to make it. Vardy was playing for the dog & duck a few years ago and ended up a PL winner, England international and breaking an incredible RVN record.

He will always, as any blue wearing the shirt, get my full support.

Indeed, the stats probably don't say a great deal, so all you can do is go with what the manager reckons.

Status
Not open for further replies.