2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like an athletic version of steven naismith, runs the channels and works hard, will score a few as well but any sort of skillful interplay will often end with a poor touch or decision. At this stage he looks ok to me but nothing about him screams out he'll be anything special. Upgrade is preferable

Great cutback to find Walcott for the goal, and a great goal of his own that was incorrectly disallowed. Pretty good CF display up to the point the whole team fell apart after the mistake, so I don't think it's fair to single him out.
Im not, i was talking about Richalison, i think DCL will come good eventually, never going to be a great goalscorer but i think he will be an ok player, i have far higher hopes for him than the likes of Davies.

Great cutback to find Walcott for the goal, and a great goal of his own that was incorrectly disallowed. Pretty good CF display up to the point the whole team fell apart after the mistake, so I don't think it's fair to single him out.

Don't think he is being singled out but it is blatantly obvious we need a striker to score goals rather than one just to occupy defenders. He may come good but currently he is not up to the standard we need to take our next step.

I cannot wait until he proves so many of you wrong. It is clear that you cannot see what else he offers, it is not just goals front men offer you know, he is about occupying defenders, creating space and running the channels. He does this better than Cenk and Niasse hence game time.
Players like him really show how little some fans actually understand.

This is a fair point. At the Spurs game me and the guy next to me made a point of keeping an eye on Kane and his movement was just superb. Playing as the lone striker he was constantly drifting, onside then offside, hanging on the defenders shoulder and just generally being very difficult to defend against. His movement definitely contributes to the goals from Spurs other players who come from deep as it creates space for them, as does his excellent hold up play - DCL obviously isn't at Kane's level for either, but he at least has the natural attributes to try to play in a similar way (pace, strength, good in the air etc). I think that is what Marco means when he says DCL has qualities he likes in a striker. Tosun for example is far too static and easy to defend against in comparison and despite him probably being a better finisher, I think Marco prefers DCL as overall he is better for the team.

I cannot wait until he proves so many of you wrong. It is clear that you cannot see what else he offers, it is not just goals front men offer you know, he is about occupying defenders, creating space and running the channels. He does this better than Cenk and Niasse hence game time.
Players like him really show how little some fans actually understand.

We all cannot wait for him to prove us wrong but that statement itself screams of he is not ready yet . We cannot continue waiting for him to turn into the Striker we crave at the detriment of our team. Not saying we will defo get a 15-20 goal striker but we need to try. Hope DCL makes it but how long do we have to wait.

We all cannot wait for him to prove us wrong but that statement itself screams of he is not ready yet . We cannot continue waiting for him to turn into the Striker we crave at the detriment of our team. Not saying we will defo get a 15-20 goal striker but we need to try. Hope DCL makes it but how long do we have to wait.

The point you are missing is that he is doing what he is asked. Create space, occupy defenders and run the channels.

The point you are missing is that he is doing what he is asked. Create space, occupy defenders and run the channels.

Not missing any point. Scoring goals and creating himself chances surely comes with those instructions also. Apart from Richarlison he is the best we have (maybe debatable) but neither are ideal so we need another striker in rather than hoping he will eventually come good and start scoring the goals we need.

He's a good player for his age and has great experience in the top league too. We do need to get a proven striker in and I would hope it leads to DCL going out on loan for a season, because I don't think he can reach his full potential unless he has a year or two as a first-choice striker somewhere. It's not his fault if the manager picks up to start and he doesn't light up the game - everybody knows he's nowhere near the level of the top strikers in the league, and why should he be?

Status
Not open for further replies.