Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Theo Walcott

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickford - 7 - Didn't have much to do, but when he did made a brilliant save. Couldn't do much for their goal.
Coleman - 6 - Defensively he was good apart from not blocking the cross for their goal, which is a big mark against him.
Zouma - 6 - He looked off the pace and like he'd been thrown back in for no real reason, which is what he was...
Mina - 6 - Actually thought he was good apart from for their goal. Tbf, it was a hard ball to judge and Digne should be covering.
Digne - 5 - Thought he had his poorest game for us. Set pieces were inconsistent but his crossing from open play was poor (same for them all, though).
Gueye - 6 - Couldn't really get amongst Newcastle and do what he does best, because there was no play to break up.
Gomes - 7 - Excellent on the ball as usual. Players not on the same wavelength at times.
Sigurdsson - 6 - Didn't really get involved. Should have scored that chance though, and don't think he should have been the player to go off.
Lookman - 5 - Seemed to get frustrated too quickly. A bit sloppy in possession and tried too hard at times.
Richarlison - 6 - For this system to work, for now, he needs to play centrally. Doesn't matter what it takes away from his game. It adds to the team's. Good finish.
Tosun - 5 - Doesn't fit in with how Silva wants to play, unfortunately. I think he's more than capable of making an impact from the bench when a game is stretched, but starting, it limits our play.

Walcott - 6 - Came on and at least added some pace and direct running, but didn't do much.
Bernard - 6 - See above.
DCL - 6 - See above.

Silva - 6 - Didn't really have any issues with the team. Gave lads a chance due to the amount of games and unfortunately they didn't take it. I would say I think his change in the defence was unnecessary. It seemed to unsettle us and we missed Keane. I'll also add that I think his subs came a tad late and also, Gyfli didn't seem the right player to take off. We basically lost any semblance of craft in the middle when he went off, and it would have seemed more sensible to spare that change for Gana to be replaced by Davies or perhaps with Gylfi moving deep.

Very flat last night, too many players with derby hangovers, and the ones who came in - Lookman and Tosun - not up to speed.

Gotta say though Lee Mason was shocking all game. Newcastle’s plan was to break up play with fouls and time wasting, which never let us get any type of momentum, and Mason let them get away with it until the last half hour.

The time wasting from their keeper was unreal, and the ref told him about it 4 times without doing anything. A better ref throws a yellow for time wasting and a couple for persistent fouling in the first half.

One of those games were you felt after 20 minutes we were gonna struggle to get 3 points.

Until we get some decent players on the bench we're playing for somewhere between 6th and 10th

Q) Hand on heart, if Tosun, Lookman, Walcott, DCL, Davies and Bernard we all abducted by aliens would we be bemoaning the loss of a golden generation that tore the heart out of the team...also add in Baines and The Stek.

A) No...and until better upgrades are sourced this is us - 6th to 10th

One of the things that hampered us last night was Bernard not starting. He works hard, and understands about cutting through defences. Essential that he gets completely up to speed fitness wise, he is a very important part of the team.

still so wound up by this, they are such a dog team Newcastle, never in a million breaking into the top 6 dropping points like this ( add Huddersfield west ham, and Bournemouth given we were 2-0 up )

much improved from last year, but still much improvement needed

still so wound up by this, they are such a dog team Newcastle, never in a million breaking into the top 6 dropping points like this ( add Huddersfield west ham, and Bournemouth given we were 2-0 up )

much improved from last year, but still much improvement needed
Two games that could and should have given us 4 points and we end up with 1. Obviously an improvement on last year's play,but strongly doubt there'll be a change from last year's position.

At least Marco knows who his best starting IX is. Im sure we’ll strengthen in Jan and we will need a centre forward to fit this system.

A lot of teams will try to play that way against us this season and we have to be able to break them down and not concede any on the break.

Still optimistic!

It was a flat performance. Maybe a few tired legs & confidence taken a knock from the weekend, BUT....we were let down by p1ss poor officials last night.

Time wasting & persistent fouling from the off. A stronger ref would have laid a marker down early. Linesman in particular, in the 2nd half Mina was being wrestled at every corner. Absolutely ridiculous. Then their players repeatedly dropped a plastic bottle in the box (not the ones they use, but a standard one that might look like it was thrown from the stands????). The keeper would then stand over his goalkick, then suddenly realise he needed to move the bottle... surely plain cheating? Nothing done about it.

Meanwhile in a conference hall nearby......

Speaker: Hands up if you knew how Newcastle would play last night?
That’s everyone with their hands up.... hang on, except you. Your name please?
MS: Marco.... Marco Silva.
Speaker: Surely you knew?
MS: Kind of.
Speaker: How did you prepare?
MS: I picked Tosun.
(Laughter breaks out around the hall)
Speaker: Settle down everyone. I’m sure Mr Silva is just having a joke?
MS: No, sir. He’s lethal in ‘behind the scenes’ videos.
Speaker: You’re not ready for this class, I’m afraid. Tosun will never be the answer unless the question is - who will be static and not score against Newcastle?
MS: Seems obvious now, sir.
Speaker: Maybe you can redeem yourself? Who should play up front against Watford?
MS: DCL or maybe Niasse?
Speaker: Get out, lad.

Meanwhile in a conference hall nearby......

Speaker: Hands up if you knew how Newcastle would play last night?
That’s everyone with their hands up.... hang on, except you. Your name please?
MS: Marco.... Marco Silva.
Speaker: Surely you knew?
MS: Kind of.
Speaker: How did you prepare?
MS: I picked Tosun.
(Laughter breaks out around the hall)
Speaker: Settle down everyone. I’m sure Mr Silva is just having a joke?
MS: No, sir. He’s lethal in ‘behind the scenes’ videos.
Speaker: You’re not ready for this class, I’m afraid. Tosun will never be the answer unless the question is - who will be static and not score against Newcastle?
MS: Seems obvious now, sir.
Speaker: Maybe you can redeem yourself? Who should play up front against Watford?
MS: DCL or maybe Niasse?
Speaker: Get out, lad.
Hand up if you know what “squad rotation due to 3 games in a week” means.

Since we did Benitez become Marki Hughsi? Never expected him to set up so negatively against us. It got him a point but I always thought he tried to actually play football with his teams. It really was a terrible game.
..... he has always set up with no space between the lines and sitting just in front of the 18 yards..did it across the park that's why they did ok in cups but couldn't win the league through his negative

Status
Not open for further replies.