2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seem to remember watching Keane for spurs 3 or 4 years ago when he was only getting games in the caribou cup etc or coming off the bench. Used to laugh how he would miss 3 or 4 sitters and then get a goal. But he kept working and developing and look at him now. I only hope DCL can develop in the same way

Well, part of the point I was making was the distinction between 20 goals and 20 league goals, and actually the top six all having a 20 league goal striker doesn't happen, and I suspect all 6 of them having one getting 20 goals, rather than league goals is pretty rare. But putting that aside, I'd say you are correct. It's not unreasonable to be thinking about where such a player will come from.

It seems pretty unreasonable to me to be completely writing off a young player as not good enough for us because he doesn't look like being said player. It's a ridiculously high bar. It's pretty unlikely a kid who cost peanuts from the lower leagues will turn out to be that kind of striker but that doesn't mean he won't get better than he currently is, and he's doing OK.

Yeah people wanting that from him now is daft, even if he only goes on to be a 15 +/- man he'll be a good asset to most prem teams.

This is such a confusing post. How can you say they all have players that are likely to get 20+ goals then explain in detail how most of them probably won’t?! lol

The teams who don't have a certain 20 goal man tend to have several players who be in and around that mark, as in Liverpool and Arsenal.

Tbf mate every top 6 team has a player who will likely get 20+ goals a season:

City have who augero definitely will and others who will get close to 20 if not more

United have Lukaku

Spurs have Kane

Liverpool have salah, mane and firmino. In doubt all of them will hit 20 but they’ll get a lot between them.

Arsenal have lacazette and auba, again may not defo hit 20 each but will be close.

Only ones who don’t really are Chelsea but even then Hazards got quite a few already

Tl;dr it’s not unreasonable to be thinking about where the next 20 goal man will come from as it’s something all the best sides tend to have every year.
That seems less nailed on then it used to be. But agree we need that player. Maybe Richarlison could get close but it's a big ask.

Tbf mate every top 6 team has a player who will likely get 20+ goals a season:

City have who augero definitely will and others who will get close to 20 if not more

United have Lukaku

Spurs have Kane

Liverpool have salah, mane and firmino. In doubt all of them will hit 20 but they’ll get a lot between them.

Arsenal have lacazette and auba, again may not defo hit 20 each but will be close.

Only ones who don’t really are Chelsea but even then Hazards got quite a few already

Tl;dr it’s not unreasonable to be thinking about where the next 20 goal man will come from as it’s something all the best sides tend to have every year.

We're not even close to the top 6 though and the only striker we've had that's managed 20 goals left to join the top 6.

..I think he’s the best CF at the club and he’d be in my starting line up more often than not.

hes got no real strikers instinct for me, Tosun has that thing where hell score more of the chances you throw at him then not.

id let DCL have a loan in the championship personally, bit of roughhousing and ideally scoring goals would do him good

All these top 6 teams have more games for their strikers to get to 20 goals as they have European matches as well.

But I’m sure we have had this conversation numerous times before. If you look at the number of players to score 20+ league goals a season, there’s only 3/4 a year.

17/18: salah, Kane, aguero, vardy
16/17: Kane, lukaku, Sanchez, aguero, costa
15/16: Kane, aguero, vardy
14/15: aguero, Kane, Costa
13/14: Suarez, Sturridge, toure
12/13: van Persie, Suarez, bale
11/12: van persie, rooney, aguero
10/11: berbatov, tevez

Since 2010, only 2016/17 saw 5 of the top 6 have 20+ goal strikers. Other than vardy a couple of times, no team out the top 6 has had one. Arsenal haven’t had a striker that has done it in that time, Sanchez was a midfielder.

I have no expectations of DCL to get near that at this stage in his career and if he gets 15 in all competitions I think he has done well. 20 goal a season strikers aren’t easy to find, it’s why there aren’t many. Kane and aguero are the only consistent two in the league in recent years. People are expecting too much of any striker we sign right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.