Everton Youth Teams Thread

Kenny has a future at this club, browning, pennington, galloway dont. Astley should be ahead of all of them in the pecking order. Browning is out of contract this season so theres no point in giving him games. Yet unsworth does, just like last season when he played 26 year old jose baxter ahead of 16 year old anthony gordon, even though baxter clearly had nothing to offer this club. Seems to me Unsworth cares more about sentiment of players who couldnt cut a career for themselevss than he does about the development of his youth players (you know, his job!)

Kenwright brought baxter back take up your complaint with him

Bit of an interesting read about the viewpoint of the bloke who ran the a academy last year - interview wasn’t long before he quit. Assume there was a direct correlation. In a book that’s only just come out.

Dr. Peter Vint has had a rare vantage point on athlete development. As a senior sport scientist with the United States Olympic Committee for a decade, he contributed to the success of dozens of Team USA athletes in both individual and team sports. Dealing with these elite performers required tweaks of seconds or inches or marginal improvements that made the difference between a medal or a trip home empty-handed. Transitioning to the world of English Premier League soccer as the youth academy director of Everton Football Club offered him a chance to work with budding superstars at an earlier stage in their development. From this unique set of perspectives, he sees the dangers of overaggressive training programs. “At Everton, the Academy was strongly influenced by a document called the EPPP, or the Elite Player Performance Plan,” Vint told us in an interview. “It was a set of guidelines laid out by the Premier League to help improve the quality of the training environment and the support for Academy players. Interestingly, as rationale for a substantial increase in on-field, coach-led training time, the EPPP directly referenced the expertise literature, including Ericsson’s concept of deliberate practice and Gladwell’s ten-thousand-hour rule. It also contrasted historical Academy training hours with examples from other high-performance organizations like the Yehudi Menuhin Music School, the Royal Ballet School, British Cycling, the Lawn Tennis Association, and the English Cricket Board. “It implied that, based on what has been done in the game traditionally, other schools with elite sports teams were falling woefully short in terms of on-field, coach-led training hours and that was possibly one of the reasons they were not producing more players for the professional game. So, these schools needed to change that. Specifically, they needed to substantially increase on-field, coach-led training time. The challenge is that when you literally interpret the EPPP framework against the actual contact time you have with players, you can end up with multiple two-a-day sessions per week for kids between twelve and eighteen years old. There is very little research related specifically to the physical, cognitive, and emotional load and recovery requirements for young athletes. As a result, it was difficult to find and maintain an appropriate balance between achieving the aggressive requirements of the EPPP with the periods of recovery and rejuvenation we felt were important to support the healthy and holistic long-term development of the young athletes/ people in our care. “I see kids training really hard, day in and day out, and I see them giving what I think is probably their very best effort. It is physical and it is tough. Over time and on competition days, particularly, it can be incredibly demanding, and that goes for any sport, any of the top youth sport programs I’ve seen. I see parallels in youth sport to professional game performance in that players have gotten bigger, they’ve gotten stronger, they’ve gotten faster, and therefore the games at these other developmental levels have gotten progressively tougher. “So, to withstand those loads and to be even on the field, I think the level of athleticism and the general level of athlete development has probably improved. I think there’s way more room to go in terms of more appropriate methodologies of instruction, better application of the principles of skill acquisition and motor learning, creating better and more meaningful balances between competition and training. And, I would say certainly there exists a vast opportunity to improve athlete performance, health, and well-being through a more complete utilization of applied sport science and medicine. I don’t think that I’ve seen the perfect athlete development environment yet.”

Harry Charsley included with the main squad according to the official Premier League squad list. Should we read anything into this?[/QUOTE]

No it's just that he's over the age that he has to be registered and there is enough space so might as well be listed so can be called in an emergency.

Surprised Williams isn’t registered on the U21 list. Can’t have a recall option after all.

Williams is too old to class as an u21 so the soonest we could add him back to the squad is the January window.

Harry Charsley included with the main squad according to the official Premier League squad list. Should we read anything into this?

No it's just that he's over the age that he has to be registered and there is enough space so might as well be listed so can be called in an emergency.

Williams is too old to class as an u21 so the soonest we could add him back to the squad is the January window.[/QUOTE]

Williams is 21 same as say Dom? Or does actual birthday come into it.

Williams is too old to class as an u21 so the soonest we could add him back to the squad is the January window.

Williams is 21 same as say Dom? Or does actual birthday come into it.[/QUOTE]

He clearly doesnt have a recall Fam, almost certain they removed the ability to recall players, unless both teams agreed fully to it.

What is a Home-Grown Player?
A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Rules on U21 players
Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.

For the 2018/19 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1997.

Williams is 21 same as say Dom? Or does actual birthday come into it.[/QUOTE]

To class on the u21 list you have to be born on or after 1st January 1997 so although they are same scholar year when your born in the year counts. Hence why Charsley, Hewelt and Holgate needed registering.