Best players you have played with who never made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuart Rimmer,made it sort of I suppose,three games for us and a bit of a ledge at Chester,played with a lad called mark fleet,outstanding midfielder,everyone thought he was nailed on for stardom,jimmy melia took him to Brighton,i think it may have been his first training session he broke his leg,never the same player again.
Happened to a lad I know ... in the early 80’s he was a young lad playing local footy and got picked up by spurs ... broke his leg on his first session too. He had a good career in the semi pro northern premier I think it was called then playing for Bangor city ... played at Wembley in the fa vase final I think.. could be wrong. He also played for a local side Cemaes Bay when they were in the konica league of wales as it was then. Used to love training alongside him when I signed for the reserve side of the club at 17 years old ... learnt so much.

Mark Gray his name is.

I regularly played in Mickey Mouse friendlies with Tony Kay, Ian St John,Jimmy Harrower,Derek Temple, Roger Hunt,and Jimmy Gauld. I don't think anything ever became of any of them!

...think this is one for a different forum (Ale House or World Football). It doesn’t seem appropriate on the Everton Forum.

I played youth football at a professional club for years, so there are plenty. Often a rizzla paper between those who come through and those who don’t, but those who do usually have attitude. Probably as much surprised at one or two who played top flight as a few who didn’t.

How come you never made it? Out of curiosity.

my mate used to play for Bolton as a teenager and was sick at footy, but one day he woke up and realised his dream was to become an exotic dancer, so he quit footy moved to Malibu and now he gets naked and dances for pervey men

I made all that up this thread is weird

How come you never made it? Out of curiosity.

..not good enough I suppose but being a professional footballer was never for me, Matey, and I wasn’t for professional football. I signed for a club because they really made a move for me but professional Football was never an ambition.

I’ve realised since that it was probably because I had my life mapped out and footy is too uncertain. Playing footy eventually brought me ever lasting friendships and taught me values, but you need to really want it to be a professional. The vast majority fail just like I did.

Last edited:
..not good enough I suppose but being a professional footballer was never for me, Matey, and I wasn’t for professional football. I signed for a club because they really made a move for me but professional Football was never an ambition.

I’ve realised since that it was probably because I had my life mapped out and footy is too uncertain. Playing footy eventually brought me ever lasting friendships and taught me values, but you need to really want it to be a professional. The vast majority fail just like I did.

I’d say that’s a shame but seems like the alternative life is what you wanted anyway. Always nice to tell people you were once at a club though!

Closest club I can get to is the biscuit.

I was something like 6th choice centre half (out of 5) at school. There was a lad from a local school that was being courted by a few teams, including the RS. Beat me with skill in a 1v1, next time I went steaming in full bore and sent him flying. Lad was in actual tears appealing for a foul then seemed to have an absolute off day. We still lost but he did sweet fa. Oddly the scouts weren’t interested in him after that game. I wonder what would have happened if I hadn’t snapped John Jones in half..

Not me but my old man grew up on the same street as Alan Ball. They used to have a kickabout on the street (even after he'd won the world cup, completely mad hearing that) and apparently there was one lad they knew that was unbelievable but couldn't be arsed being pro for some reason. He was probably making more money as a bricklayer or whatever back then, to be fair.

My arl fellas mate.
Had a wand of a foot apparently and could turn on a sixpence (whatever that means). Had trials at *whichever top club he thinks of first when he’s had a bevvy*. Would’ve went all the way if it weren’t for his knee.

3 lads I played with and against regularly, Dean Kelly, John Carter, Adrian Pender, on Everton's books iirc, all had the ability imho to have made it, Kelly possibly got an injury, Pender was a bit like Joe Parkinson. All blues as well. Anyone who played football in Anfield in them days will probably know of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.