2018/19 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know tbh, it is weird, I understand it could hold back youth development, but one game is hardly going to make a difference, especially when most of that team won't actually make it. Players like Bernard would have benefited massively from tonight so it's a tad disappointing he didn't play.

I do see that there's a consistent squad that Unsworth has to work with too, and if he's always getting 3-4 first team players dropping in he can't really prepare a good team, but then the director of football system is also supposed to take care of the overall development too...difficult balancing act isnt it

I do see that there's a consistent squad that Unsworth has to work with too, and if he's always getting 3-4 first team players dropping in he can't really prepare a good team, but then the director of football system is also supposed to take care of the overall development too...difficult balancing act isnt it

Yeah, but this would have only been a one off so to speak. At the end of the day, it's all about everton's development which is the most important.

I think it could change so first teamers drop back into Unsy's team if they're in the age range. I'm not 100% sure but I think Brands did something similar at PSV.
I think it keeps them match fit and builds confidence.

I don’t think we will see him until after international break, he has not played since April and has to get up to speed with physical side of the prem

A player like Bernard no matter what league he’s played in the fact is his size (what some people are considering to be a weakness) is also a big advantage. It’s not as though he’s never played against big fellas in important games who want to cut him in half.

He’s no doubt had that to contend with every game he’s ever played - It’s his quick thinking, touch, awareness and vision which will stand him in good stead in this league. Which if we remember earned him full Brazilian caps. A player like him plays his game, it may be that the league is a different pace to what he has played before and for that reason alone I expect it may take some time to acclimatise his qualities to the speed at which we play, but I personally feel the lad won’t struggle with the physicality of the league.

Can’t wait to see him activate Brazilian flair.

A player like Bernard no matter what league he’s played in the fact is his size (what some people are considering to be a weakness) is also a big advantage. It’s not as though he’s never played against big fellas in important games who want to cut him in half.

He’s no doubt had that to contend with every game he’s ever played - It’s his quick thinking, touch, awareness and vision which will stand him in good stead in this league. Which if we remember earned him full Brazilian caps. A player like him plays his game, it may be that the league is a different pace to what he has played before and for that reason alone I expect it may take some time to acclimatise his qualities to the speed at which we play, but I personally feel the lad won’t struggle with the physicality of the league.

Zola, Juninho, Silva - all slight of frame but managed to rip it apart. I would explode in my own jism for anywhere near that level from Bernard.

Also worth remembering that Willian among other 'small' Brazilians thrived with Shakhtar before moving on. His size will make it difficult for him, but if he's good enough it won't be a hindrance. Always say he should model his game on Coutinho who's around the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.