League Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shilton would have made us,Georgie Wood was decent but Shilton who was lined up for us apparently was another level,I still wonder if we had won that night at Old Trafford if we may have kicked on and done something special in the late 1970's we really were that close.
Great teams have great goalkeepers. Shilton - Forest
Clemence - RS
Southall - us
Schmeichel - Utd
I would put de Gea in that bracket as without him, United would struggle to make the top 4 since Fergus left, let alone win things.
I agree with you entirely regarding Shilton, we would have won something in the 70s with a fine side containing Latchford, Dobson, Thomas etc. He would have made a fine side into a very good side.

The attitudes some Evertonians have towards the League Cup (under it's various names) over the years baffles me.

After our usual early exit every season I've read comments along the lines of 'who cares, it's only a mickey mouse cup'.

This club hasn't won anything for decades and this competition gives us a chance to end that barren run plus qualify for Europe, so I don't why some Blues turn their nose up at it as if we're somehow above it.

Lets not forget it was a run in the League Cup in which we got to the final that got the momentum going for our 80s glory years.

No doubt, though, the ones who dismiss it as a 'mickey mouse cup' would be first in line for Wembley tickets should we ever reach the final of this jinx of a competition again.

I know people scoff at this cup competition as being worthless and all that. I get it, it's not the FA Cup. But I've been following Everton since 2002 and I've never seen us win silverware. I'd like to see SOME sort of success before I die.

The attitudes some Evertonians have towards the League Cup (under it's various names) over the years baffles me.

After our usual early exit every season I've read comments along the lines of 'who cares, it's only a mickey mouse cup'.

This club hasn't won anything for decades and this competition gives us a chance to end that barren run plus qualify for Europe, so I don't why some Blues turn their nose up at it as if we're somehow above it.

Lets not forget it was a run in the League Cup in which we got to the final that got the momentum going for our 80s glory years.

No doubt, though, the ones who dismiss it as a 'mickey mouse cup' would be first in line for Wembley tickets should we ever reach the final of this jinx of a competition again.
Having been at Villa Park for the 84 semi final 2nd leg, reaching that final was a momentous occasion, even though we'd been in semi finals in very recent years. Our most iconic moment of the 80s came in that same league cup run. Never underestimate the importance of a late equaliser at Oxford in January!

I hope we field our b team--give DCL a run out to make his case for a firs team spot.

Overall I'd still take a europa league spot over a league Cup win at the end of the season.

It would end the trophy drought to win this but it isn't important enough in my view to really sacrifice for until later on. If we are sitting in the quarter and looking at a home game then maybe send a full strength side out otherwise it has more use for development of the squad. At the end of the day as weird as it is winning the League Cup two years in a row would do less to improve our status in the game than finishing 4th twice so ultimately that should be the focus

Having been at Villa Park for the 84 semi final 2nd leg, reaching that final was a momentous occasion, even though we'd been in semi finals in very recent years. Our most iconic moment of the 80s came in that same league cup run. Never underestimate the importance of a late equaliser at Oxford in January!
This is true but the game has changed since then. Fans don't really turn up until the semis and sometimes that isn't even enough. City and United I don't think sold out their last home semi final legs. Ultimately winning this in the current climate doesn't amount to a whole lot if it isn't backed up by success in other competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.