Match Thread ATK Irdning v Everton Saturday 14th July 4pm KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are saying it's embarrassing because we hammered a crap side and showed them literally no mercy

I'm not saying those people are right like, but still, I get where they are coming from

Did we really need to welly them that badly? We could have settled at half time

I think people are saying it's embarrassing because we hammered a crap side and showed them literally no mercy

I'm not saying those people are right like, but still, I get where they are coming from

If we did, people would complain that we'd taken our foot off the gas, or go on about "Jesus, how bad is our strength in depth?!"

If we did, people would complain that we'd taken our foot off the gas, or go on about "Jesus, how bad is our strength in depth?!"

I disagree

They'd more likely say "We've made our point at 10-0. It was over at half time and there's no point going OTT"

Again, I'm not saying I wholly agree with the idea that it was embarrassing to batter them like that, but I get where people are coming from

It did lack professional courtesy IMO, especially to do it on their own patch

I thought we did go easy on them.
We could have easily scored a lot more if we'd have upped the pace and put some effort in.
what were we supposed to do? abandon the game at half time? withdraw one player off for every goal we scored in the second half?
That would have been showing a complete lack of respect.

I thought we did go easy on them.
We could have easily scored a lot more if we'd have upped the pace and put some effort in.
what were we supposed to do? abandon the game at half time? withdraw one player off for every goal we scored in the second half?
That would have been showing a complete lack of respect.

Just pass it about. Ease off. Don't shoot as much

Teams do this all the time when they have a big lead

Basically do what Germany did against Brazil in 2014

They still scored two more goals in the second half because Brazil were that bad, but they could have scored more than that if they'd wanted to

I disagree

They'd more likely say "We've made our point at 10-0. It was over at half time and there's no point going OTT"

Again, I'm not saying I wholly agree with the idea that it was embarrassing to batter them like that, but I get where people are coming from

Yes, because our fanbase is notoriously balanced and excels at calm critical thinking.

It really doesn’t matter though.

We played the game as a thanks for them hosting us at their facilities.

There’s nothing to take away from it tactically and therefore it served a fitness purpose - which is sound because they had a full training session in the morning and then still had at least 45 minutes, an hour in Dowell’s case.

As for the score, well, at least we can say we had our shooting boots on.

Tube's makes a good point though, in that we could have just had it behind closed doors. There was no need to air it

Nowt wrong with a kick about to help fitness, but again, we could have shut up shop at half time and still achieved that as well

I'm not mad about this or anything and don't think it was the embarrassing disaster some people seem to think it was, but I get why there's some disgruntlement about certain aspects of it

It got to the point where I felt sorry for the Austrian's. Aspects like that aren't a good look for the club, that's all I'm saying

It's not a big deal at the end of the day and it will soon be forgotten, but I have to question the club somewhat for airing it and the coaching staff for not telling the lads to ease off after a certain point. Even in school football you'd see the winning size ease up when they got to something like 8-10 ahead

This is preseason game entirely organised to get our squad a bit of match fitness and sharpness,
What would be the point in waliking it around at the back and not bothering to shoot?
They were hardly putting up any resistance at times, how could we not score?

Tube's makes a good point though, in that we could have just had it behind closed doors. There was no need to air it

Nowt wrong with a kick about to help fitness, but again, we could have shut up shop at half time and still achieved that as well

I'm not mad about this or anything and don't think it was the embarrassing disaster some people seem to think it was, but I get why there's some disgruntlement about certain aspects of it

It got to the point where I felt sorry for the Austrian's. Aspects like that aren't a good look for the club, that's all I'm saying

It's not a big deal at the end of the day and it will soon be forgotten, but I have to question the club somewhat for airing it and the coaching staff for not telling the lads to ease off after a certain point. Even in school football you'd see the winning size ease up when they got to something like 8-10 ahead

The same folks crying about us sticking 22 past a side of amateurs will be moaning this week when Bury are tough to break down/are too easy to break down.

The side wouldn't win either way.

It's just making a mountain out of a molehill. It happened. Laugh, cry, do whatever you need to get past it.

I disagree

Sod them. If they don't want to get beat 22-0 they should play better.

Take no prisoners.

Status
Not open for further replies.