Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously don’t think we have much to worry about from West Ham. Other than Diop they have spent money on names much like we did last year. As good as Yarmelenko was a few seasons ago by all accounts he has lost a yard of pace after injury and think he has ended up at West Ham for a payday. They have just spent 42 million on a Brazilian who is average and unlike our average 45 million man isn’t even a set piece threat. Fully expect West Ham to finish 9-10 and Pellegrini to be binned by this time next summer.
On to Everton, we will be 7-8, possibly even 6th because I still don’t think Arsenal have sorted there main problems out. Fully expect another 5/6 out before the season starts and 3-4 in. I am frustrated that we haven’t brought anyone in but I’m not ready to get the nappies out in case of bedwetting yet. We really have put ourselves in a hole in terms of the ridiculous wages we put the likes of Bolasie Williams and Klassen on (Sandro I can understand based on his low fee) and we will do well to rid ourselves of the dross within the next two windows.
There are too many players stealing a massive wage and by the sounds of it Silva and Brands know exactly who they want out and who they think they may get a tune (temporarily or not) out of.
A more streamlined squad utilising some of our undoubted youth quality, a couple of astute signings and with a manager who doesn’t think that tactics are a type of mint and I am feeling quietly confident that we will have an enjoyable season where we can see progress on the field.

Look, that sounds lovely and all, but has DCL shown any ability to score at any level? I would think wtihout checking that most guys that score 20 goals in a season in the PL have scored a couple goals at another level at least at a decent rate.

Kane scored 17 goals in his first 67 senior games. Calvert Lewin has 16 in his first 69.

Calvert Lewin has scored in the final of a Fifa International tournament. That's a pretty good level to score at.

For Crimhead. You can estimate the year on year increase in wages and the adverse amortisation impact of the transfers last summer quite easily using P&L, Cash Flow and notes to the accounts.

Elstone himself estimated we would have baseline wages of £140m this year. Revenue will likely be c.£175m down from an estimated £185m last season. None of the key commercial deals expire until end of this coming season so any commercial boost will be marginal from smaller sponsorships.

It will bore the pants off folks on here if we bang on for ages but DM me if you want to discuss. There IS a margin of error on the £25m estimate but it is at most +/- £10m. I’m a 30+ year qualified accountant & I have read the PL rules on this. We are very constrained, something Moshiri confirmed in a recent meeting with the head of the shareholders association.

Think DCL will come good personally, with some decent coaching - which let's face it, he hasn't had at Everton yet.

Not sure on Tammy Abraham who didn't look so confident at PL level either but might also come good.

Do we need two under-firing strikers ? Shall we pick up Iheanacho too ?

Seriously don’t think we have much to worry about from West Ham. Other than Diop they have spent money on names much like we did last year. As good as Yarmelenko was a few seasons ago by all accounts he has lost a yard of pace after injury and think he has ended up at West Ham for a payday. They have just spent 42 million on a Brazilian who is average and unlike our average 45 million man isn’t even a set piece threat. Fully expect West Ham to finish 9-10 and Pellegrini to be binned by this time next summer.
On to Everton, we will be 7-8, possibly even 6th because I still don’t think Arsenal have sorted there main problems out. Fully expect another 5/6 out before the season starts and 3-4 in. I am frustrated that we haven’t brought anyone in but I’m not ready to get the nappies out in case of bedwetting yet. We really have put ourselves in a hole in terms of the ridiculous wages we put the likes of Bolasie Williams and Klassen on (Sandro I can understand based on his low fee) and we will do well to rid ourselves of the dross within the next two windows.
There are too many players stealing a massive wage and by the sounds of it Silva and Brands know exactly who they want out and who they think they may get a tune (temporarily or not) out of.
A more streamlined squad utilising some of our undoubted youth quality, a couple of astute signings and with a manager who doesn’t think that tactics are a type of mint and I am feeling quietly confident that we will have an enjoyable season where we can see progress on the field.
What's the obsession with WH. Ffs !!

DCL is 21, Cost 1.5 million from Sheffield United, People going on like we signed Gabriel Jesus for 50m and hasn't performed at all, Lad can hold his own against top defenders in the PL solo and has pace to burn, I wouldn't say he's a bad finisher just very unlucky at times and inexperienced.

Have thought that Vida wasn't up to much previously in the tournament. However today I thought he played really well.

DCL is 21, Cost 1.5 million from Sheffield United, People going on like we signed Gabriel Jesus for 50m and hasn't performed at all, Lad can hold his own against top defenders in the PL solo and has pace to burn, I wouldn't say he's a bad finisher just very unlucky at times and inexperienced.
Does he have "pace to burn" though?

I mean, he's not a slow player, but I don't think he's *notably* fast either

For Crimhead. You can estimate the year on year increase in wages and the adverse amortisation impact of the transfers last summer quite easily using P&L, Cash Flow and notes to the accounts.

Elstone himself estimated we would have baseline wages of £140m this year. Revenue will likely be c.£175m down from an estimated £185m last season. None of the key commercial deals expire until end of this coming season so any commercial boost will be marginal from smaller sponsorships.

It will bore the pants off folks on here if we bang on for ages but DM me if you want to discuss. There IS a margin of error on the £25m estimate but it is at most +/- £10m. I’m a 30+ year qualified accountant & I have read the PL rules on this. We are very constrained, something Moshiri confirmed in a recent meeting with the head of the shareholders association.

But we are mainly constrained due to our wage bill, would you agree? And that is mainly down to ending the season with 39 players.

Getting that figure down will help loads.

I'm not a massive fan of either, but I just don't see DCL as ever capable of banging in 20 goals in a season. But no, I'm not a big Abraham fan at all. I could see him EVENTUALLY getting good, he's just too slight and weak to be effective. Not sure he has the first touch to ever be great, either, just saying.
He isn't a natural finisher, that's his problem.
His basically our Vikram solanke.

Kane scored 17 goals in his first 67 senior games. Calvert Lewin has 16 in his first 69.

Calvert Lewin has scored in the final of a Fifa International tournament. That's a pretty good level to score at.
Kane scored that many at a lower level and limited chances.

Personally for me lewen won't ever make it at the level we aim to be at. I'm not writing the lad off, I just haven't seen anything from him that cries out real potential.

Strikes me as a typical fan player. The type like benny where he gets thrown into the team and everyone immediately thinks they are good enough overnight. Many young players don't make it despite playing at a young age in the top league , lewen in my opinion will be a decent lower prem striker but nowhere near a kane level.

Side point, benny has massive potential and fully expect him to develop to a high level. Watching him a year ago in the reserves he stood out for me so in a year or two he could be pushing our midfielders, just not right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.