Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Alan Brazil on talksport is an absolute dinosaur. Basically saying that Danny Rose is wrong to talk about his mental health problems so close to the World Cup.
Sorry Alan, you’re right - everyone should just hide how they feel and not open up.
Quickly switched off.

Edit. Just to add he also said that he’s experience time when he’s been down and had “the hump” and he’s got on with it so hopefully Danny can do the same. Clearly doesn’t understand anything about depression.

Absolutely disgraceful. How this guy can be employed on a national radio station is bewildering. Really sad that someone with the ability to influence so many people can have this attitude.

Alan Brazil on talksport is an absolute dinosaur. Basically saying that Danny Rose is wrong to talk about his mental health problems so close to the World Cup.
Sorry Alan, you’re right - everyone should just hide how they feel and not open up.
Quickly switched off.

Edit. Just to add he also said that he’s experience time when he’s been down and had “the hump” and he’s got on with it so hopefully Danny can do the same. Clearly doesn’t understand anything about depression.
Absolutely disgraceful. How this guy can be employed on a national radio station is bewildering. Really sad that someone with the ability to influence so many people can have this attitude.
He is not worth listening to

So...

For the first time in over 15 months, I had a 'bad spell'.

The anxiety I suffer from was triggered again by a similar situation currently which first caused my anxiety to begin over a decade ago.

Had around four weeks of horribleness. Gone back on the pills. Need to get back to my counsellor.

From March 17 to beginning of May, I felt invisible. A changed man to the one who felt trapped and crippled previously on and off for 8 years or so.

I exercised loads, ate great, got married, wife is pregnant, bought dream house, got a dog, promotion at work and then WHACK. Most of May and all of June thus far its had me; I was in tears on the spare room floor head in hands Monday night.

Back to the doctor yesterday; back to the counsellor tonight. Feel better already.

I am most disappointing that I have slipped back; I thought I had got on top of it and I maybe showed it not enough respect. Since coming off the pills, I stopped counselling, reduced my exercise and concentrated on other stuff (like getting a house ready for baby, more responsibilites at work etc). I know full well these things help and I failed to act

Hell, I havent even posted in this thread or the forum much. I have avoided my friends. Been ratty, irritable. A shadow of my real self.

In the words of Stevie G, 'we go again'.

Hi mate, as a long term anxiety sufferer I know exactly where your coming from.

I`m not an expert but from what you`ve posted there, I would say that your anxiety has crept back in due to easing back on your coping mechanisms - medication, exercise and counselling.

Obviously things have changed with the new baby, more responsibilities, that came with promotion and I`m guessing that you haven`t got the same amount of time that you once had to do things like exercise.

Don`t beat yourself up, as it`s very common for people with depression /anxiety to think that they`re better, once they start to feel " normal " again and ease off.

Look at it as a learning experience and accept the fact that it hasn`t gone away and that you need to put the coping mechanisms that were working so well before back into place ;)

So my great year continues. Mum dead, dad isolated at home ( although I've sorted out increased care for him) and now my wife says she's not sure she wants to be married to me anymore. I suppose on the bright side there's not much else that could go wrong. I suppose the kids could disown me and I could lose my job to complete the set!!
Mate, you are not alone in this. Similar thing happened to me a couple of years back And to a work colleague about 15 months ago).
Personally, I was in bits for about 4or 5 months but not so much because my 'soulmate' had reached the momentous decision that she no longer wanted to live with me but because of the break up of the family unit. We had been through a lot of ups and downs but I always believed I was a good provider and made sure her and the kids never went without.
Anyways, realised it was never gonna work out so sold the house, gave her enough to buy her own outright and spent the balance plus a small mortgage to get my own place as I wanted to leave something to the girls when I drop off the planet.
Fast forward 18 months and life is like a whole new beginning and experience. Come and go as I wish, answerable to nobody and just getting on rediscovering myself. Also started a new relationship with a lovely lass who is a few years younger than me but still well within my ball park age group. She had been through similar and has a couple of grown up daughters but it's like being a young lad again, everything is new and fresh and exciting. Didn't think this could or would happen again but it has. Don't allow yourself to be negative or beat yourself up as these situations are more common than you would believe nowadays.
And strangely enough I am thankful to my ex for having the foresight and courage to take the decision. So much so we get along just fine.
It will work out and for the best. Good luck!

Broke up with gf of 1.5 years, feel genuinely distraught.

Have had an absolutely horrible last month or two, where everything seems to go wrong, and today just capped it off.

Genuinely nothing to look forward to for tomorrow... Just feel empty. Again.

Ninjaedit: I know this is so much not a worry to anyone, as people have much more on their hands than I do, but just wanted to share/vent. Sorry.

Have had an absolutely horrible last month or two, where everything seems to go wrong, and today just capped it off.

Ninjaedit: I know this is so much not a worry to anyone, as people have much more on their hands than I do, but just wanted to share/vent. Sorry.
No chance of letting the dust settle and taking things from there ?

No chance of letting the dust settle and taking things from there ?
Nope, at least not for the foreseeable.

I guess, at least, she gave me back the car I gave her as a gift... now I have two, one of which is in the shop rn anyway (a source of frustration for the last 2 months). Good thing? Maybe? Who knows. The way things are going I fully expect the wheels to fall off tomorrow on it too.

Never apologise mate.

Really sorry to hear of what's happened. Hopefully it will all work out.

Most of us have been there
You will get over it

I know mate, and thanks.

It's just that I moved here and got a job here and everything because of her and now that's all gone. I mean I still have the job and I like it, but still, the lifestyle and life "rhythm" if you will - gone.
World Cup starts in three days, that`ll help take your mind of things a bit.

I'm diagnosed OCD, and not the cute kind you see on TV shows where people have to rearrange their pencils in a straight line. I get stuck in negative thought loops and find it very difficult to get out of sometimes. I was also tentatively diagnosed with MDD. I've done a lot of looking around researching to see what the root of the issue is and how I can help myself.

The root of the issue seems to be chronic stress - http://news.berkeley.edu/2014/02/11/chronic-stress-predisposes-brain-to-mental-illness/.

There are chemical imbalances, mostly the effect of long term damage on the brain from stress hormones, but a lot of times medication is a supplement and behavioral changes are required. And sometimes life just sucks for a moment in time and we need to help ourselves through it.

https://bebrainfit.com/effects-chronic-stress-brain/ - all research based evidence in this article.

https://bebrainfit.com/mental-health-benefits-exercise/ - only a few questionable links in there but every point made has research based evidence behind it.

Bottom line, I have bad days but I also have good days. Keep trucking, kick ass and enjoy life while you can. If we can survive Big Sam we can sure as hell survive bad days.

I'm diagnosed OCD, and not the cute kind you see on TV shows where people have to rearrange their pencils in a straight line. I get stuck in negative thought loops and find it very difficult to get out of sometimes. I was also tentatively diagnosed with MDD. I've done a lot of looking around researching to see what the root of the issue is and how I can help myself.

The root of the issue seems to be chronic stress - http://news.berkeley.edu/2014/02/11/chronic-stress-predisposes-brain-to-mental-illness/.

There are chemical imbalances, mostly the effect of long term damage on the brain from stress hormones, but a lot of times medication is a supplement and behavioral changes are required. And sometimes life just sucks for a moment in time and we need to help ourselves through it.

https://bebrainfit.com/effects-chronic-stress-brain/ - all research based evidence in this article.

https://bebrainfit.com/mental-health-benefits-exercise/ - only a few questionable links in there but every point made has research based evidence behind it.

Bottom line, I have bad days but I also have good days. Keep trucking, kick ass and enjoy life while you can. If we can survive Big Sam we can sure as hell survive bad days.

OCD. Pure-o? My sympathies.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/beyond-the-doubt/201804/why-there-s-no-cure-ocd