Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am one of many that did not want him at all and nothing he has done has changed that view. Some of the worst footie I have seen since Mike Walker's day's.

The squad is unbalanced, but he kept picking players that were out of form and strangely defensive home teams against weak opposition. We have ridden our luck and he has snuck into 8th place. Last year we were 7th some 17 points ahead of the next team. Not all his fault.

We bought some very talented players and neither Koeman nor Allardyce has managed to put players into their correct place and/or rotate players in and out of the team. I don't accept that our squad is 17 points worse than last year.how many of you said that we did not need Lukaku's goals to finish in the same place.

We have had a malaise about the place, from CEO down, the club needs shaking up and people put in the right roles. Those that don't fit should toddle off.

It's more than Allardyce, but as soon as he's gone it will be a move in the right direction.

Again you make these empirical statements when in fact there is no evidence to support your stance. Since neither you nor I were privy to the the recruitment process we can neither of us say with any certitude who did and didn't apply and who was and wasn't approached , we merely have opinions.
My opinion is that there would have been many managers interested in managing in the prem with a sizeable wage and budget attached.
Again in my opinion , it is probably more accurate to say that the managers we wanted where unobtainable.
However this again illustrates a failure of our DoF , one of whose tasks should be to have a list of currently obtainable managers to cover any eventuality of the incumbents failure.
Instead he could only come up with his old mate.
True, the only evidence I have is that nobody else took the job or came out in the press to say they were interested and that we didn't want them.But I would point to Tuchel,Blanc,AVB,Scolari and a few others were either unemployed or very near to the end of contract at the time and still remained so when we appointed Allardyce.

I am one of many that did not want him at all and nothing he has done has changed that view. Some of the worst footie I have seen since Mike Walker's day's.

The squad is unbalanced, but he kept picking players that were out of form and strangely defensive home teams against weak opposition. We have ridden our luck and he has snuck into 8th place. Last year we were 7th some 17 points ahead of the next team. Not all his fault.

We bought some very talented players and neither Koeman nor Allardyce has managed to put players into their correct place and/or rotate players in and out of the team. I don't accept that our squad is 17 points worse than last year.how many of you said that we did not need Lukaku's goals to finish in the same place.

We have had a malaise about the place, from CEO down, the club needs shaking up and people put in the right roles. Those that don't fit should toddle off.

It's more than Allardyce, but as soon as he's gone it will be a move in the right direction.
I've a feeling the problem is Moshiri and he's going nowhere any time soon.

Couple of points...

Silva is not Martinez MK II. Martinez had the team passing for the sake of passing, the build up was slow. We had a good first season because he inherited the defensive legacy of Moyes. Silva's teams are passing teams as well but with much more pace and directness.

Giving Allardyce another season and then binning him makes no sense. Why would you invest any money in the summer on the squad if you are going to get rid of the manager at the end of the season.

If inherited values persist, the next manager is doomed.

There are loads of managers who were and will be interested, maybe not all with experience of a PL relegation fight. That's how SA keeps getting jobs. But it's all a short termist solutions and part of how clubs like Sunderland get into the downward spiral by hiring and firing to scrape safety and never building with one man with a long term vision and ethos of how to play the game. The idea he can kick on after he gets a team safe is disproved by his thirty year career. So yes thank him for stabilising but we need to move on or get left behind. Southampton on Saturday showed how easy it is to beat us with a plan because we don't have one with Sam.

To all those advocating BS or are worried that if we get rid of him we might not get anyone better, let's look at the best case scenario if he stays.

We sign some good players in the summer, get rid of some of the dead wood, the football is still boring but we score a few more goals and finish 7th or 8th. Even his most ardent supporters would agree that this is the best we could hope for.

So what's the problem. The problem is the top six managers are Chess players and BS is and always will be a Draughts player. We will never progress as a club under him, as progressive tactics are adopted by more and more upcoming younger managers we won't even stand still, we will move backwards.

We need a complete overhaul, we need to adopt a philosophy of fast paced attacking football, Identify the DOF best suited for this and employ managers who are young, driven and progressive.

Yes a particular manager may fail, but if the right structure is in place the club can hire a new manager to fit the philosophy and players at the club rather than the other way round.

Spot on!

True, the only evidence I have is that nobody else took the job or came out in the press to say they were interested and that we didn't want them.But I would point to Tuchel,Blanc,AVB,Scolari and a few others were either unemployed or very near to the end of contract at the time and still remained so when we appointed Allardyce.
But that is a purely academic excercise. You could have increased your list many times over with out of work managers around the globe, but we still would not know who we approached, or didnt.
In my opinion the idea that no managers in the entire world of football did not want the job is incredibly naive and is merely put forward to justify a very poor appointment.
Perhaps we can merely agree that the appointment of a manager such as Allardyce was indicative of a failure of administration at all levels throughout the club?

To all those advocating BS or are worried that if we get rid of him we might not get anyone better, let's look at the best case scenario if he stays.

We sign some good players in the summer, get rid of some of the dead wood, the football is still boring but we score a few more goals and finish 7th or 8th. Even his most ardent supporters would agree that this is the best we could hope for.

So what's the problem. The problem is the top six managers are Chess players and BS is and always will be a Draughts player. We will never progress as a club under him, as progressive tactics are adopted by more and more upcoming younger managers we won't even stand still, we will move backwards.

We need a complete overhaul, we need to adopt a philosophy of fast paced attacking football, Identify the DOF best suited for this and employ managers who are young, driven and progressive.

Yes a particular manager may fail, but if the right structure is in place the club can hire a new manager to fit the philosophy and players at the club rather than the other way round.
Agree with all of this and tip my hat to an excellent and accurate analogy.

I am convinced he is staying and the club will say nowt until next week so as not to risk a greater show of discontent at Goodison than we saw on Saturday.

The travelling Blues will make their feelings known at Hammers this weekend but the club will just ride it out and hope tempers will cool off during the close season.

You and I know they won’t......but this shower running the club live in a bubble and will think all is well with the world.
Whilst a football club is a business it is not like most other business's in that it needs the backing of the fans if it wants to succeed, even in the Sky/BT sports era.

If Mosh doesn't understand that yet he will learn very quickly next season, or perhaps as early as the summer maybe.

Knowingly going against the wishes of the fans and hoping it will all blow over could be the biggest mistake Moshiri could make, and lets be honest he's made a few already.

But that is a purely academic excercise. You could have increased your list many times over with out of work managers around the globe, but we still would not know who we approached, or didnt.
In my opinion the idea that no managers in the entire world of football did not want the job is incredibly naive and is merely put forward to justify a very poor appointment.
Perhaps we can merely agree that the appointment of a manager such as Allardyce was indicative of a failure of administration at all levels throughout the club?
As humble supporters we have to rely on the questionable opinions of journalists.I wouldn't count the appointment of Allardyce as a poor one,just the length of contract.This is a matter that is only attributable to Moshiri.I did try to keep my list to realistic candidates and as you point out there will have been plenty more to choose from.But the truth is the only proof we have is that Silva failed to deny his interest which is hardly tangible truth that Moshiri made a thorough search of available managers.Rather he was panicked and gave the only person with any interest a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.