Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it earlier Kev, if anyone else had done it, most would be ok.

Trouble is, imo, his demeanour and comments, put a lot off, me included. But you cannot say he has not delivered what he was asked to do.
I would argue he's actually done more than that.

All the fans who want to give him another season and the board if they do. I hope your happy beating crappy teams and just staying affloat and getting cained by the top 7 and others away from home trying for a point. Clap clap clap clap I’m sickened.

I put your question to Mosh, who replied, “look, I’m not here to win trophies. I just need to secure that stadium before off-loading our, aherm, ‘my’ shares for a massive profit.”

I must say I admired his honesty.

I take the point of think initially he I did well with a shambles. But the anger directed towards him is partly due to the frustrations of a summer that promised so much turning to dust, this heightens the criticism? But it's also his management style and his negative mindset. I would even take his turgid negative football if he wasn't such a wind up merchant who only cares about himself. He gets some results against dross mainly at home and gives up games against the bigger teams. The reality is most teams we are playing lately, are bad or their seasons are over I judge him on games like Arsenal away, Swansea away, West Bromwich away, Liverpool reserves at home. I think the evidence from his time at West ham proves he will only get us to where we are now even if he stayed for three years.

They are all fair points, he does himself no favors and I agree his attitude could be better. I get everyone wants to take on the top 7 etc, but that’s unrealistic given the context. He didn’t recruit this team and pound for pound it’s poor. Having expectation beyond survival was unrealistic before he took over, it’s unfair to judge him on where we are in the table.

I agree on the style it’s awful, i again think he wants to play directly but can’t given the players at his disposal but is trying to get the best out of them and get results. Can performences improve I think they can. If you look at players he signed Tosun and Walcott they are direct players and I think if he stayed we could expect more of the same, no harm to my mind.

To be honest I think he is very like Moyes as a manager, he wants to play a results based game and is pragmatic. Their tenures mirror also, Moyes was brought in as a fire fighter and he did the job, rationalized the squad and incrementally improved quality and performences. I think Sam is similar and would expect much of the same if he stayed long term which he won’t. But I suspect there is some patsy work that will need to be done in culling a part of the squad and I suspect he may just be allowed to do it.

I’m not a particular advocate of him, if he goes he goes if he stays ok. I actually think stability is key in what is going to be a changing club behind the scenes in many roles in the year ahead. Objectively though he has done a job in a style that has been lauded in the past in similar relegation threats and similar to what Moyes and Royle did when they came in and were asked to save the club from lower divisions.

I’m just trying to be objective about him as I think the whole Anything But Sam narrative is a bit group thinky and not reflective of our context, his remit this season or his success in achieving it. If he stays the bjectives of survival and just results change of course and other questions need to be answered both on style, entertainment and progression.

Last edited:

I dont think he created a rift. There was a rift when he was employed and fans were waiting for that moment to strike.

Big Sam has been there before and plays the same game when the fanbase has a go.

This isn't his first rodeo.

Maybe. But he didn't help the rift put it that way he stuck his fat head into the rift.

Behave be fair??? That Huddersfield side was atrocious! In fact the whole standard outside the top six is the worst ever...Any fukka could manage this team and get results...he just scrapes a win when we should be wellying them outta sight...

I think that is a fair assumption. Scraping wins against lower teams and getting well beaten or played of the park by better teams is not a promising way of building. We seem to go out against teams hoping to win and not really expecting to win. Until we see more dominant performances against lower teams and more toe to toe with the bigger teams then we cannot accept we are progressing. We play the older fashioned percentage football that is not aiding building but treading in mud.

I really don't understand how Allardyce can be left in charge and recruit players this summer for his way of playing when he only has 12 months to run on his contract.

Moshiri should either extend his contract - please God no - or sack him.

To do neither runs completely contrary to any cohesive recruitment policy.
I have consistently said this as well. The debate here is whether he sees out the final 12 months or not. One thing is certain, he’s not the long term answer.

For that reason, even if he stays for another year, you simply have to take the recruiting out of his hands. You can’t allow a manager to invest in playing staff when at best, he’s only going to be here another 12 months.

That would make no business sense whatsoever. IF Brands is coming in (would be nice to have some “clarity” on this too) then leave him in complete control off transfers both incoming and outgoing.

Allardyce will simply have to coach what he’s given. He cannot under any circumstances, have a say on a sale in particular, when he has no long term future at the club.

Given the fan unrest and the fact that he's on an obviously short leash as regards his contract, he's done remarkably well in getting the team to produce the level of results they have. You'd think many of them would have downed tools under the circumstances, but they're still playing for him.

They are all fair points, he does himself no favors and I agree his attitude could be better. I get everyone wants to take on the top 7 etc, but that’s unrealistic given the context. He didn’t recruit this team and pound for pound it’s poor. Having expectation beyond survival was unrealistic before he took over, it’s unfair to judge him on where we are at the table.

I agree on the style it’s awful, i again think he wants to play directly but can’t given the players at his disposal but is trying to get the best out of them and get results. Can performences improve I think they can. If you look at players he signed Tosun and Walcott they are direct players and I think if he stayed we could expect more of the same, no hat, to my mind.

To be honest I think he is very like Moyes as a manager, he wants to play a results based game and is pragmatic. There tenures mirror Moyes was broaught in as a fire fighter and he did the job, rationalized the squad and incrementally improved quality and performences. I think Sam is similar and would expect much of the same if he stayed long term which he won’t. But I suspect there is some patsy work that will need to be done in culling a part of the squad and I suspect he may just be allowed to do it.

I’m not a particular advocate of him, if he goes he goes if he stays ok, I actually think stability is key in what is going to be a changing club behind the scenes in many roles. Objectively though he has done a job in a style that has been lauded i the past and similar to what Moyes and Royle did when they came in and were asked to save the club from lower divisions,

I’m just trying to be objective about him as I think the whole Anything But Sam narrative is a bit group thinky and not reflective of our context, requirement of remit or his success in achieving it. If he stays those objectives change of course and other questions need to be amsewred.

You make some good points mate. But for me he sucks the life out of enjoying Everton for me. Yes he has reassembled a shambles not of his making and guided us to safety with some results but his lack of ambition does it for me. I think Moyes, although negative at times, was actually better because he would go at any team at home(even if we didn't win most of the time)and had a pattern of play. Allardyce gets teams behind the ball and hopes to nick things on the break. Don't we need more when we've spent alot of money? I agree we need to rebuild from the chairman, CEO, DOF, much of the squad, we need to restructure. And yes taking on the top six will take years to achieve but build with a man you believe in, a man with an ethos a long term vision, a younger hungrier manager that's our best shot. I agree with consistentcy and stability Moyes achieved quite a bit with that but it has to be with the right man. Sam staying another year would feel like delaying what we really need for me.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.