Unsworth should have been kept in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the situation with Unsworth needs context and I'm not sure we can say one way or the other how it would have panned out.

He never had the luxury of being given permanent status and nor was he told he definitely wouldn't be getting the job. Had the former happened the players would have to have responded to his position, had the latter happened he could have done what SA initially did and closed games down boring people to death. As it turned out he ended up having a very public job interview, a situation where he had to be seen to be flexible/attacking etc.

Also he was given the job at a horrible time with games every other day limiting time at FF and some really difficult away asks. I remember arguing on here with people who thought he should have gone to Lyon and had a right go, a team that walked through us with ease at Goodison. So in a sense he was on a hiding to nothing.

Obviously against him are some abject performances, in particular Atalanta and Southampton and there are real doubts that are valid from those games. Flip that and his teams generally looked like they wanted to attack and to be honest I'd rather lose trying than lose in the manner we did yesterday.

The only thing I believe is that any manager will keep this squad up Unsworth included.

I think the situation with Unsworth needs context and I'm not sure we can say one way or the other how it would have panned out.

He never had the luxury of being given permanent status and nor was he told he definitely wouldn't be getting the job. Had the former happened the players would have to have responded to his position, had the latter happened he could have done what SA initially did and closed games down boring people to death. As it turned out he ended up having a very public job interview, a situation where he had to be seen to be flexible/attacking etc.

Also he was given the job at a horrible time with games every other day limiting time at FF and some really difficult away asks. I remember arguing on here with people who thought he should have gone to Lyon and had a right go, a team that walked through us with ease at Goodison. So in a sense he was on a hiding to nothing.

Obviously against him are some abject performances, in particular Atalanta and Southampton and there are real doubts that are valid from those games. Flip that and his teams generally looked like they wanted to attack and to be honest I'd rather lose trying than lose in the manner we did yesterday.

The only thing I believe is that any manager will keep this squad up Unsworth included.
We had time on our side no way an 18 month contract for big Sams ontourage to be drafted in at huge expense!
I am not advocating Unsworth full time - we had time to fetch in a quality manager with him holding the fpurght at least he sorted Snides and KMs attitudes out a bit of discipline- the football was better at least this myth we fetched Sam in as we were in the bottom three ? After the homegame v West Ham we were well out of the bottom 3 !
Sam will keep us as low as possible to remind our inept board we need him next season - Sam is only looking after his own interest!

Unsworth gave me the impression that he was over-awed. He said the right things but despite really wanting him to succeed, I never at any time felt that he was in control.

Allardyce on the other hand seems to revel in playing to type. I can't accept yesterdays performance when we would have more than likely beaten them at home.

The manager should, you know, take charge. Lead, inspire, direct.

We have absolutely nothing in this regard.

..I guess we got beat yesterday.

When I think of Unsworth tenure, I think of Southampton away and it doesn’t get any worst than that. I think of Joe Royle coming down from the stands to whisper advice in his ear. I fear we’d have definitely been relegated.
Still might. Don’t see us winning any away, it’s all down to our home form

...Obviously against him are some abject performances, in particular Atalanta and Southampton and there are real doubts that are valid from those games. Flip that and his teams generally looked like they wanted to attack and to be honest I'd rather lose trying than lose in the manner we did yesterday.

That last line is True.

..I guess we got beat yesterday.

When I think of Unsworth tenure, I think of Southampton away and it doesn’t get any worst than that. I think of Joe Royle coming down from the stands to whisper advice in his ear. I fear we’d have definitely been relegated.
When even the Southampton fans stop singing abuse at you and show some sympathy, you know it’s a bad day.

Pointless to talk about "we should have done this or that differently". All 3 managers this season have been abysmal.

Status
Not open for further replies.