Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This just shows what a sour bunch of complainers we have generally become, dont you think?

Nobody liked Bobby because he was optimistic, cheerful and positive.
He was also trying to do something creative and different, and we now have to be honest and say we really just like boring, dull, attritional, defensive, aggressive football where crunchy tackles are valued ahead of beautiful passing (I know we never had reached the beautiful passing game, but we were trying). Oh wait, we are going that way with Allardyce and we don't like that either!

Having a bit of optimism, ambition and dreams are NOT Valued at everton, and we are clearly as confused as the directors and board of the club.

The fans, board and management do not agree on what would kind of success would make us happy
Martinez is disliked because he was a terrible manager. He didn't have an eye for the type of finesse players that work together to open defences up with creativity and clever movement, which is why the wheels began to come off with the decline of the Pienaar and Baines partnership in 2014/15.

Footballers of real quality, like those two in their primes, move the team up the pitch as a unit and retain shape while probing for openings. Idiots like Martinez just recklessly pile bodies forward, and then act like they can't believe it when they get picked off on the counter. His only other way of playing was to have everyone sitting on the halfway line, passing sideways; and that was almost as dull as what we get from Allardyce.

Martinez is disliked because he was a terrible manager. He didn't have an eye for the type of finesse players that work together to open defences up with creativity and clever movement, which is why the wheels began to come off with the decline of the Pienaar and Baines partnership in 2014/15.

Footballers of real quality, like those two in their primes, move the team up the pitch as a unit and retain shape while probing for openings. Idiots like Martinez just recklessly pile bodies forward, and then act like they can't believe it when they get picked off on the counter. His only other way of playing was to have everyone sitting on the halfway line, passing sideways; and that was almost as dull as what we get from Allardyce.
lol

Just no.

This just shows what a sour bunch of complainers we have generally become, dont you think?

Nobody liked Bobby because he was optimistic, cheerful and positive.
He was also trying to do something creative and different, and we now have to be honest and say we really just like boring, dull, attritional, defensive, aggressive football where crunchy tackles are valued ahead of beautiful passing (I know we never had reached the beautiful passing game, but we were trying). Oh wait, we are going that way with Allardyce and we don't like that either!

Having a bit of optimism, ambition and dreams are NOT Valued at everton, and we are clearly as confused as the directors and board of the club.

The fans, board and management do not agree on what would kind of success would make us happy

No mate, we disliked Bobby because he didn’t believe in defending.

He seemed a top bloke apart from that

I'm not sure on that mate. He got the best out of Deulofeu, and Barkley's output was better for him than most. He also tried to use both Osman and Peinaar even when they were coming to the end, I think had he have got hold of both 5 years earlier he'd have got more out of them. Baines maintained performance for the most part and Coleman went up a level under him. The fact he structured training around Barkley and Lukaku said a lot about his outlook.

His biggest problems were:
1) He refused to engage with the high press without the ball advocated by Pep. His teams also lack defensive stability, but they put sides under enough pressure pre-emptively they avoid having to defend too often. We weren't fit enough.

2) His sides weren't ruthless enough offensively. Pep's guys go for the throat. We should have scored more goals.

I'm not sure on that mate. He got the best out of Deulofeu, and Barkley's output was better for him than most. He also tried to use both Osman and Peinaar even when they were coming to the end, I think had he have got hold of both 5 years earlier he'd have got more out of them. Baines maintained performance for the most part and Coleman went up a level under him. The fact he structured training around Barkley and Lukaku said a lot about his outlook.

1) He refused to engage with the high press without the ball advocated by Pep. His teams also lack defensive stability, but they put sides under enough pressure pre-emptively they avoid having to defend too often. We weren't fit enough.

2) His sides weren't ruthless enough offensively. Pep's guys go for the throat. We should have scored more goals.

Agree with the above but would also add:

3) He didn't do enough fitness work

Think the players basically said it was left to them individually to condition themselves in a league where peak fitness and stamina are pre-requisites. Without that there's no high press and the possession game falls apart as there isn't enough movement as so they fell back into the sideways/no penetration pass.

Agree with the above but would also add:

3) He didn't do enough fitness work

Think the players basically said it was left to them individually to condition themselves in a league where peak fitness and stamina are pre-requisites. Without that there's no high press and the possession game falls apart as there isn't enough movement as so they fell back into the sideways/no penetration pass.
It would be interesting to sit and talk to him and ask him if he’d change anything if he had his time over again.
We lacked balance from front to back or back to front I thought, not sideways balance.
You’re right, never fit enough either.

It would be interesting to sit and talk to him and ask him if he’d change anything if he had his time over again.
We lacked balance from front to back or back to front I thought, not sideways balance.
You’re right, never fit enough either.

For me in his last two seasons too much sideways or back passing and not enough forward movement, if it had not been for Lukaku RM may well have emulated his last Wigan season!

Reading David Walsh's long article in today's Sunday Times. it doesnt look like Sam is thinking of going anywhere in the near future.

Barkley was best under Koeman; a complete opposite manager to Martinez.

Just for a while I thought Roberto had cracked it,first season the defence from Moyes reign was in the main sound, Barry and McCarthy protecting them were superb,the football we played was the best I've seen since the mid 1980s,then it went to dust starting at Leicester first game of the next season and never really recovered.

Certain people seem to have selective memory re Martinez.
Anyone who thinks that football under Allardyce is boring cannot have attended that 0-0 at Goodison against Swansea when both teams spent the whole 90+ minutes passing the ball sideways on or around the halfway line.
He inherited a really decent side from Moyes that initially he capitalised upon until he was uncovered as a "talker".
For goodness sake, he allegedly didn't even practice defending set pieces in training.
You really couldn't make it up.
Glad to be rid of him, and his "fantastic", "sensationial" post match summaries.
Rather have Moyes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.