Players that never fulfilled their potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was young, and naive at the time, but I remember a home game against Sheffield Wed, where a young Michael Branch absolutely bossed it, didn't score, but was unplayable in a 2-0 win iirc.

Thought we had unearthed the next big thing, but alas, disappointed reared its ugly head again, Everton that.

JP Kissock. The original Ketwig. Thinking about it Royston Drenthe disappointed me the most. George Green as well. The next big nowt. Young ones are built up far to highly too soon.

Any Van Der Meyde. With all the talent in the world but obviously had some serious demons.

He would get the ball ans the whole street end would stand, not had too many of them over the years. Geri being the last.

Stephen Schumacher was England schoolboys captain -never saw him properly break through for us- Stephen Hughes from Arsenal came with a big reputation but I was expecting great things from Olivier Dacourt after his first couple of games. Also recall Danny Williamson from West Ham who turned out to be a big waste of money.

It shows how much of a step up in levels it is from reserves to first team. Barlow, Branch and Jevons scored at will in the reserves and never managed to do it in the first team. I also think we put a lot of pressure on some of our youngsters, even before Rooney we expected massive things from some of them.

On a side not we must have one of the best records of u23/reserve players going on to have careers in lower league, nearly all of them carve a career somewhere.

Tony Thomas - had a stormer for Tranmere against us in a friendly. Signed for us on the back of that.

Jermaine Beckford - went through more clubs than Tiger Woods

Imre Varadi - because I have never forgiven him for missing an open goal back in 1980/81 season

I was young, and naive at the time, but I remember a home game against Sheffield Wed, where a young Michael Branch absolutely bossed it, didn't score, but was unplayable in a 2-0 win iirc.

Thought we had unearthed the next big thing, but alas, disappointed reared its ugly head again, Everton that.
I remember that game he turned Nigel Worthington in the box who then brought him down for a pen in the Gwladys end, Branch stood up and started to make a gesture towards to the Gwladys as if to say COME ON!!

Status
Not open for further replies.