Players that never fulfilled their potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not one of ours, but....Stan Collymore. Other than fat Ronaldo, I've never seen a striker have absolutely everything like Collymore had. Made a terrible career choice moving to the RS. It should have been Utd and we could well have been talking about England's greatest ever goalscorer.

As it turns out, his career went backwards after the RS and he went a bit mental too.

Rooney. I know he's had an amazing career but expected more from him to be honest. I always thought he had all the footballing attributes to have been on the Ballon D'Or pódium along with Messi and Ronaldo for the last decade.
I understand where you are coming from . He’s going to end up in the debates about our greatest ever player alongside Dixie, Alan Ball, Alex Young etc, a good shout for England’s greatest ever international and well deserved and well earned too. Seeing him for the first time in that televised FA Youth Final and his first few years with us , he’s undoubtedly the best 16/17 year old I’ve ever seen. He had everything . And he has achieved so much , yet I’ll never think of him in the same “who was the best” debate alongside Pele, Maradona , Cruyft etc. But that’s just me , my favourite goal of his is the one he scored against Charlton when he was about 17, pure class.

I understand where you are coming from . He’s going to end up in the debates about our greatest ever player alongside Dixie, Alan Ball, Alex Young etc, a good shout for England’s greatest ever international and well deserved and well earned too. Seeing him for the first time in that televised FA Youth Final and his first few years with us , he’s undoubtedly the best 16/17 year old I’ve ever seen. He had everything . And he has achieved so much , yet I’ll never think of him in the same “who was the best” debate alongside Pele, Maradona , Cruyft etc. But that’s just me , my favourite goal of his is the one he scored against Charlton when he was about 17, pure class.

The best comparison for Rooney not fulfilling his potential is the original Ronaldo. Ronaldo is still rightly viewed as one of the best strikers and at the turn of the century for about three years, he was probably the best in the world too. But for his injuries and fitness issues though, he would have been in that conversation with Pele, Maradona, etc. But instead, via a particularly cruel twist of fate, his name is now synonymous with someone who has in fact achieved far more than he ever did. Rooney may have the United and England records, but like many others here, I agree he didn't become the player he had the potential to be but instead became a very efficient player under Ferguson.

I am also intrigued by your argument that he will be discussed in the same conversation as Dixie, Ball and Young in terms of Everton players. For raw talent, I suppose you are correct. But even though he was born a blue and came through the system, his move and 13 years at United will always define him. Those magical early moments aside, in his first spell his goals, assists and contribution were not comparable to the aforementioned greats. He has arguably been more effective in his second spell than his first. I will happily cheer for him, but the cult of celebrity around him comes from his United days and I find the fawning over and idolising of him rather small time and distasteful.

Manuel Fernandes. I'm still convinced we signed a completely different person by accident the second time around because he looked like he'd never seen a football pitch in his life.

Jose Baxter
Jack Rodwell
Diniyar Bilyaletdinov
Franny Jeffers
James Vaughan
Dan Gosling
Luke Garbutt
George Green

Last edited:
Alex Nyarko.
Touted as the new Viera, was amazing pre season scoring an outrageous back heel v Man City and looked a real star.

Season started and after a couple of games he was woeful, rumours of fight with Archie Knox and then he found God.
Remembered for the infamous shirt swap with a fan.

Niclas Alexandersson is another massive underachiever from that summer recruitment too.

The best comparison for Rooney not fulfilling his potential is the original Ronaldo. Ronaldo is still rightly viewed as one of the best strikers and at the turn of the century for about three years, he was probably the best in the world too. But for his injuries and fitness issues though, he would have been in that conversation with Pele, Maradona, etc. But instead, via a particularly cruel twist of fate, his name is now synonymous with someone who has in fact achieved far more than he ever did. Rooney may have the United and England records, but like many others here, I agree he didn't become the player he had the potential to be but instead became a very efficient player under Ferguson.

I am also intrigued by your argument that he will be discussed in the same conversation as Dixie, Ball and Young in terms of Everton players. For raw talent, I suppose you are correct. But even though he was born a blue and came through the system, his move and 13 years at United will always define him. Those magical early moments aside, in his first spell his goals, assists and contribution were not comparable to the aforementioned greats. He has arguably been more effective in his second spell than his first. I will happily cheer for him, but the cult of celebrity around him comes from his United days and I find the fawning over and idolising of him rather small time and distasteful.

The original Ronaldo was an absolute phenomenon, best striker i have ever ever seen bar none, wow what a player, injuries curtailed his career, I mean this kid was so good that brazil, the greatest nation to ever play the game, actually pinned their hopes on him for the 98 world cup, the pressure was intense for him and we all know what happened.

Sorry, off topic. But wow what a player.

Robert Warzycha - the first player from mainland Europe to score in the Premier League...

... he certainly had more skill and talent than his stats at Everton (72 games/6 goals) would suggest.

Francisco Junior
Good shout. Remember at the time a lot of people were surprised that we managed to take him from City given his pedigree (worked under Viera and was being touted as the 'new Makalele' I seem to recall). Didn't take his chance in the first team and never ended up kicking on from U23 level.

Last edited:
The Original Ronaldo, for me, is the best player of all time. I think Jack Rodwell and Ross Barkley haven't filled their potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.