Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I'm going the match this weekend and hopefully, I'll be able to sit through it without panicking and running out.

That 'Accepting where we are' thread is bothering me, a lot. I got told by both my brother, who I'm going with, and a psychiatrist that believing I could affect Everton's results was a delusion and the shrink said it was part of my BPD symptoms, or a schizotypal one, believing I had some kind of power over the team. And now I'm getting told it's my fault Everton are crap because I accept mediocrity, and that somehow filters down to the team? Am I able to control the team's results after all?

Reverse the scenario. Can anyone external to you control what you do?

I'd offer a response, no.

Just try to enjoy the time with your brother, win, lose or draw.

Last edited:
I'm going the match this weekend and hopefully, I'll be able to sit through it without panicking and running out.

That 'Accepting where we are' thread is bothering me, a lot. I got told by both my brother, who I'm going with, and a psychiatrist that believing I could affect Everton's results was a delusion and the shrink said it was part of my BPD symptoms, or a schizotypal one, believing I had some kind of power over the team. And now I'm getting told it's my fault Everton are crap because I accept mediocrity, and that somehow filters down to the team? Am I able to control the team's results after all?
If so. Can you make ya have a few shots on goal mate.

On a serious note, enjoying Everton as a supporter is extremely difficult at the moment and I would likely feel the same, accepting mediocrity is something I have feared all my professional life and I strive to improve. Footy played by a load of millionaires isn’t something I choose to try and lose sleep over.

Lover Everton, not the players mate ;)

I am mainly looking at it as an opportunity to see him.

Accepting mediocrity in your personal life is different - I'm a massive perfectionist myself and I constantly beat myself up for not being 'good enough', and I try to do a good job at work, even though it means other colleagues will mug me off and let me carry their load. My personal feelings about Everton have 0 effect on the club.

And not gonna lie, being told I should GTFO, and that I shouldn't support Everton, because I don't demand ridiculously high standards from the club really hurts. Like, I thought we weren't supposed to switch teams?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi folks, @Bruce Wayne brought this to our attention and @GrandOldTeam reckons it’s best to throw it out to you guys. It’s a BBC award for mental health groups such as this thread. Please look and nominate us if you think it’s a goer.

https://bbc.lvis.io/bbcallinthemind/

And more info is here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1Rs8XTsq0gxfS2v66X4kbW9/all-in-the-mind-awards-2018

Just nominated the site. I'll include what I wrote. This thread has really helped me and I want everyone involved to know what a difference they've made.

Grand Old Team is an independent website for fans of Everton Football Club, although fans of any team are welcome. The website has a specific thread for members to discuss mental health related issues.

I have struggled with my mental health for around 7 years and in 2017 I hit an all time low. I turned to the members of the site for support and I was overwhelmed by the kindness I was shown. Six months later I am feeling the best I have done for several years and this is due in part to the members and staff at Grand Old Team.

No matter what time of the day or night I posted on the website there was always someone to chat to. I must add, these were not necessarily mental health professionals but simply other individuals sharing their stories and offering advice.

I now return to the thread on a daily basis to offer words of support to other members of the forum who are having a tough time.

I think it is also important to highlight that for many men (myself included) it is incredibly difficult to admit to having a mental health problem. Being able to talk openly about these issues made a huge difference to how I perceived myself.

Finally I would like to thank everyone at Grand Old Team for helping me get to where I am today.

Just nominated the site. I'll include what I wrote. This thread has really helped me and I want everyone involved to know what a difference they've made.

Grand Old Team is an independent website for fans of Everton Football Club, although fans of any team are welcome. The website has a specific thread for members to discuss mental health related issues.

I have struggled with my mental health for around 7 years and in 2017 I hit an all time low. I turned to the members of the site for support and I was overwhelmed by the kindness I was shown. Six months later I am feeling the best I have done for several years and this is due in part to the members and staff at Grand Old Team.

No matter what time of the day or night I posted on the website there was always someone to chat to. I must add, these were not necessarily mental health professionals but simply other individuals sharing their stories and offering advice.

I now return to the thread on a daily basis to offer words of support to other members of the forum who are having a tough time.

I think it is also important to highlight that for many men (myself included) it is incredibly difficult to admit to having a mental health problem. Being able to talk openly about these issues made a huge difference to how I perceived myself.

Finally I would like to thank everyone at Grand Old Team for helping me get to where I am today.
Thank you and everyone who helped.

Hi folks, @Bruce Wayne brought this to our attention and @GrandOldTeam reckons it’s best to throw it out to you guys. It’s a BBC award for mental health groups such as this thread. Please look and nominate us if you think it’s a goer.

And more info is here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1Rs8XTsq0gxfS2v66X4kbW9/all-in-the-mind-awards-2018
Done. This is one of the reasons this is a superb site, and reflects the morally sound upstanding principles behind the foundations of our club (so recently abandoned by the club itself in my view)

"It's simply a football forum, independently run by Everton fans . However, amid all the footie talk and good humoured sledging you'd expect, there is a serious thread that everybody respects. The thread is for anybody who comes along, including fans of other clubs be they depressed or with mental health issues to open up and get a listening ear. Those who can answer with good advice, do so, those who can't offer advice just say something to let the person know they've been heard and are not alone.
It's an amazingly supportive place to go, with any kind of issue. These are just people helping people. No formal professional training, no text book help, just a listening ear and real advice, with people sharing their own experience, or pointing the way to professional help or medication that's been useful to them.
I think it was started up by one of the staff members, Groucho.
It's particularly noteworthy that there's activity on there 24 hours a day, as and when needed, especially at times when people can feel most alone, such as at Christmas and New year."

Last edited:
Done. This is one of the reasons this is a superb site, and reflects the morally sound upstanding principles behind the foundations of our club (so recently abandoned by the club itself in my view)

"It's simply a football forum, independently run by Everton fams . However, amid all the footie talk and good humoured sledging you'd expect, there is a serious thread that everybody respects. The thread is for anybody who comes along, including fans of other clubs be they depressed or with mental health issues to open up and get a listening ear. Those who can answer with good advice, do so, those who can't offer advice just say something to let the person know they've been heard and are not alone.
It's an amazingly supportive place to go, with any kind of issue. These are just people helping people. No formal professional training, no text book help, just a listening ear and real advice, with people sharing their own experience, or pointing the way to professional help or medication that's been useful to them.
I think it was started up by one of the staff members, Groucho.
It's particularly noteworthy that there's activity on there 24 hours a day, as and when needed, especially at times when people can feel most alone, such as at Christmas and New year."
You lot are putting it far better than I ever could.

And more info is here;

Nominated - Albeit the link to the thread I provided the BBC with is two horses humping.

Everyone that contributes to this thread deserves huge praise for making it what it is, it has no doubt helped countless people. It's a subject that I've never been hugely comfortable discussing on a public forum but over the years I've opened up a bit more and that's largely due to this thread, if it gets others doing the same and pushes them to take those first steps to getting the help they need then that's brilliant.

The respect shown to this thread by everyone, despite all the other garbage that goes on on the forum sometimes is testament to just how great a place it is. There's a few regulars that are always available to help people out and offer advice, even more admirable when you think they're quite often dealing with their own mental health issues. @Groucho @COYBL25 @efcforever @EvertonRhys to mention just a few that deserve a massive pat on the pack.

So anyway, I'm off to continue posting garbage on the rest of the forum.

Nominated

Everyone that contributes to this thread deserves huge praise for making it what it is, it has no doubt helped countless people. It's a subject that I've never been hugely comfortable discussing on a public forum but over the years I've opened up a bit more and that's largely due to this thread, if it gets others doing the same and pushes them to take those first steps to getting the help they need then that's brilliant.

The respect shown to this thread by everyone, despite all the other garbage that goes on on the forum sometimes is testament to just how great a place it is. There's a few regulars that are always available to help people out and offer advice, even more admirable when you think they're quite often dealing with their own mental health issues. @Groucho @COYBL25 @efcforever @EvertonRhys to mention just a few that deserve a massive pat on the pack.

So anyway, I'm off to continue posting garbage on the rest of the forum.
Thanks all