Everton are small time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the problems with our club is that there are lots of fans who actually remember us being a top side, and at the same time, an increasingly large contingent who've only ever known us as we currently are.

The first group get irate about us being 'small time' and the club behaving that way, whilst most of the second group are more accepting of it because it's all they remember.

Then Moshiri came along and both groups seemed to get excited about us finally having the desire and means to reclaim our lost status. The majority of both groups finally seemed united in a new optimism for a while, until it started to look like (yet another) false dawn.

Esk has said many times that the clubs communication strategy is poor and personally I feel he's spot on. If there's a coherent plan, what is it? If we plan to compete, how? Whatever the message is, why is it always via a third party on a radio show that most of us see as a bit of a joke?

We will always be seen as small time while we fail to clearly show we have a plan we are working towards fulfilling, and more than anything, win something.

That was bizarre when Mosh did that interview mentioning McCarthy and the family thing after the Sissoko u-turn.

Anyway the silence is deafening regarding a new manager,to me that tells me it's going to be Unsworth.

I don't think that's particularly true though mate. There are enough people who despise Bill and have been willing to say it for years. I, personally, think he did a great job of keeping us up in the top flight and giving us David Moyes who was wonderful for a bit, but in the end he's happy to settle for mediocrity. NO Blue, not one, should be happy to settle.
He hasn't settled for mediocrity he brought in moshiri a self made billionaire !!

The fact we're even having this conversation is down to the fact the board wasn't prepared for things to unravel as fast as they did with Koeman and hence had no big-name replacement lined up. Unsworth was the only logical choice at the time, and time will tell whether he's got the chips to get the job full-time. I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself, at least.

or are they?

I've been reading the Unsworth thread this morning and have to say I agree with the majority of what @orly has been eluding to, or at least I think he's been eluding to.

I'm a massive fan of David Unsworth as a person, who knows I might even be a huge fan of his managerial ability in a few games, but who knows. He's saying all the right things, using all the usual buzzwords about history, big club etc, but there's something that bothers me about it. It's bordering on a scripted theatrical performance that Bill Kenwright has written. I mean he said all that and then played a CB pairing of Jagielka and Williams and an utterly useless Rooney.

We've just lost and been knocked out of the cup but there's the tweet @orly highlighted celebrating a debut and the return of the ginger fella with a nationality disorder. I can't think of another top club that deals with this sort of stuff in the same small time cringey way as Everton. We over hype minor events, we team up with Umbro, SportPesa and Angry Birds and that's before we even get to the kitbag deal.

Why would an organisation that has an ounce of sense keep Bill Kenwright and Robert Elstone around? You could argue that it's a transitional period but it would appear that they have just as much involvement at the club now as they did before Farhad came along, if not more.

We have grand ambitions, or so we're told, but everything about how we communicate via social media and the deals we sign suggest anything but that. The twitter reads like some die hard blue that refuses to hear a bad word said about the club, rather than a professionally run club employing a social media expert.

If we truly are serious about being a big club then we need to knock this stuff on the head and start behaving like a professional outfit.

*Alluding* :)

Status
Not open for further replies.