2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooh no RedCafe are being dismissive of a former player and all-time leading goalscorer, lucky we are all wishing Lukaku well and haven't lowered ourselves to that

Tbf they have been slating Rooney for the past two years and not without good reason. I keep reiterating the point that unless something exceptional happens then a lot of blues are going to be very disappointed by what Rooney brings to the team.

Wasnt great last night but neither were the rest of them. He did have a few nice turns and lay offs and his couple of touches before the goal were very important as it left space for Klaassen to play the ball through for DCL.

Like the above poster said, he will need 6-7 full games for us before we see what level he's at - he tends to be a slow starter and has been like that for the last 4-5 years.

Wasnt great last night but neither were the rest of them. He did have a few nice turns and lay offs and his couple of touches before the goal were very important as it left space for Klaassen to play the ball through for DCL.

Like the above poster said, he will need 6-7 full games for us before we see what level he's at - he tends to be a slow starter and has been like that for the last 4-5 years.

It worries me when people say he wasn't great last night because it's probably better than what he offered in large portions of last year. When the real football starts he's going to be up against players who are quicker and stronger than him. Difficult to see how he'll get much joy. Especially if he plays up top as the main striker.

Ooooh no RedCafe are being dismissive of a former player and all-time leading goalscorer, lucky we are all wishing Lukaku well and haven't lowered ourselves to that

Cwv0kXZ.jpg

Oh Ho!

Is funny because this is opposite to what is happening!!

Oh ho ho!!!

I hope that with increasing fitness, game time and our system adapting he'll improve

he looks a lot fitter and looks like he's getting some sharpness.

Think he'll be solid for us this season, not amazing but solid

He will do a job for us over the season and chip in, his professionalism will be there for all to see. He isn't the player he was that is obvious, but he is still a decent premier league footballer.

I think it will take another three or four games before we really know what we have on our hands as a player. I think when he gets to full fitness we will be pleasantly surprised.

Give the lad a break...He's class. End of.

Ooooh no RedCafe are being dismissive of a former player and all-time leading goalscorer

Disclaimer: I'm a United fan...

To be fair, folks on RedCafe have mostly been dismissive of Rooney for the past two years. Posts like the ones above are almost identical to what people on RC have been saying for aeons, and even as one of Rooney's biggest fans I've heard enough of the "give him time, he'll come good" rhetoric now to accept that it isn't ever going to happen. It's an extremely sad fact that he's been on a sharp decline since 2013 and can no longer cut it at top level football - people thinking he will "do a job/be solid" this season are deluding themselves. In pretty much every game he played for us last season he was clearly one of the worst performers.

There's nobody I'd love to see turn things around more than our all time top goalscorer - I really would be over the moon if he suddenly started performing like he once could, but we've been saying that for so long that in the end, we were pleasantly surprised to see someone take him off our hands.

So you disagree with their opinion?

It's got nothing to do with Rooney being a Scouser, that's just paranoid nonsense. It's because Rooney resembles a Championship footballer at best these days.

I disagree with paying any attention to them, as for Rooney I would say he resembles a player we got on a free, why people think he is going to be world class now I don't know, he isn't anymore and hasn't been for a while, so we just need to be realistic on our expectation of him

It worries me when people say he wasn't great last night because it's probably better than what he offered in large portions of last year. When the real football starts he's going to be up against players who are quicker and stronger than him. Difficult to see how he'll get much joy. Especially if he plays up top as the main striker.

Because he's not the same player when he plays in fits and starts, which he did last season. He needs consistent games before he gets his sharpness back so we will only know what effect he will have mid september.

rooney is a creative player

how can you be creative when a team sets up with ultra defensive with no incentive whatsoever to even get out of their half to attack

you will see rooney be creative against sides who will actually want to attack us

I think some of you are going to have to realise that Wayne is here to play, and will start every game when fit.

Because he's not the same player when he plays in fits and starts, which he did last season. He needs consistent games before he gets his sharpness back so we will only know what effect he will have mid september.

The year before Van Gaal had him in there every game to try and find some form but it didn't happen. There's a small chance Rooney might turn things upside down and have his Indian summer but it's going against the logic that he's looked completely spent at this level for a while now. I seriously doubt his fitness levels will allow for him to have an extended run in the team anyway.

Where is he going to play for us? As a main striker he'll be bullied and dominated out of games. We've got better options for the number ten role.

United fans must be laughing their arse off at us now he's our problem and not theirs. They had the same discussions we're having now, about where he should play, how he needs a run of games to find form and fitness. The form never came because he's finished. Hopefully everyone at this club will realise that sooner than United did.

I come in peace. I was here, frankly, just to read your Rooney thread to gauge your reactions to him. ST holder at United. I am sorry to say our opinion of him is not poor because he is a scouser. If he was a red scouser i'd understand. Sadly he has gone from an exciting, explosive and brilliant player into a shadow of his former self. Lets have it right, you watch the news, the lad has not looked after himself, like Ricky Hatton he balloons, then loses weight, smokes a few cigs, gets knocked out in his kitchen etc. I have no doubt he is over the moon to go back home and its admiriable but sadly we've given you the empty wrapper after we ate the lot and spat the bones back in the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.