Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not worth anywhere near that. He'll clearly leave. I'll go with him heading to Spurs next month for around 30m.
Shame but that's life.
What we can't do is lose both Barkley and Lukaku the same Summer.
That's two Summers of STCC solved there.

Well Spurs are saying later in the window as they want a right back for now. But if that's the case he won't go for 50 mill late on. I don't know mate it's a strange one this he's either been ill advised or he's just a mercenary lol

Again, you're putting it all on Koeman there, which isn't right

Barkley hasn't taken to Koeman either it would seem, and despite this Koeman has still sanctioned a big contract offer for Ross

This is a two way street, and I'm sticking firm to the belief that neither are to blame for it

Sometimes personalities don't gel and people choose to work elsewhere. It happens in every line of work, even football

The only blame I'll send Koeman's way is that he gave that stupid public ultimatum, but then again you can chalk that down to frustration at Ross stringing the club along

You need to appreciate the grey Dave, not everything is black and white
We dont know the ins and out of any contract offer, so let's stick with what we do know: Barkley was happy at Everton for 5 years. Then Koeman comes along and he's talked about constantly in the media by his manager and dropped by him in his only season here. Now he's likely to leave.

Doesn't take a genius to work this one out.

Well Spurs are saying later in the window as they want a right back for now. But if that's the case he won't go for 50 mill late on. I don't know mate it's a strange one this he's either been ill advised or he's just a mercenary lol
He's not going for £50m ever.
I have felt that he, like Lukaku, have been tapped up for months.
He may not go to Spurs, but he is gone it seems.

So Spurs want Barkley but not for 50 mill hmmm. Something just isn't right with this Barkley contract saga

We can't let him running down the contract. Never ever. The club must find a buyer...West Ham, Newcastle whatever or else we risk of losing him to the cheeky b Spurs when they make a bid worth£10m on the deadline day.

You're overstating how good he is Dave

He's not THAT much more talented that a Dowell or a Davies or a Coleman or even a Holgate when it comes to pure talent

He's a very good player who makes us stronger overall, no doubt. Indeed, I'd say he's an excellent player on his day, and if he ever becomes more consistent he's going to be Gazza level IMO. But he's not there right now, and there's no guarantee he'll ever get there

Again, you seem to be doing the thing you always do where if everyone isn't right at your extreme end of the spectrum then you automatically assume they're at the other extreme, when it's far more nuanced than that

That's what you lack Dave, and indeed have always lacked, nuance and balance. You pick one side of the line and you go all in with it. You must be an absolute nightmare to go for a pint with sometimes
When it's black and white, it's black and white. Why attempt to find a middle way that isn't there?

We dont know the ins and out of any contract offer, so let's stick with what we do know: Barkley was happy at Everton for 5 years. Then Koeman comes along and he's talked about constantly in the media by his manager and dropped by him in his only season here. Now he's likely to leave.

Do we know that?

Because I've been hearing that he's been unhappy for a while, since at least the second Martinez season when things were going south.

These comments were all based on rumour and conjecture of course, but then again that's what your initial comment is also doing. You don't know how long Ross has wanted out of Everton. He could very easily have wanted out when Moyes was treating him like dirt or when things went south with Martinez. Just because Martinez was firing platitudes at him in public doesn't mean there wasn't any needle behind the scenes

Again Dave, you need to appreciate the grey. Life is much more complicated

When it's black and white, it's black and white. Why attempt to find a middle way that isn't there?

Because to assume there isn't is thoroughly irrational, and I would think a man with such academic prowess as yourself would be able to appreciate that

This is why you get WUM accusations Dave

So much of what you say on here is just so extreme and irrational that people automatically assume you're just saying it for effect. I don't doubt that sometimes you are thoroughly sincere, but I can't escape the numerous times where it appears you're just poking bears

He was our second top scorer with a mighty 5 goals and managed 2 assists more than Mirallas and started 9 more games than him.

Tells me all I need to know, he is very easily replaced if he chooses to leave.

Don't start making out he's the scouse Maradona because you want to use it as another stick to beat Koeman with.

Barkley has had his best season for Everton under Koeman.

FACT.

Now, that evidently isn't all down to Koeman, and I praise Ross for that impact and turnaround in form.

But... Surely it absolutely dispels your stupid narrative?

Koeman took the tough love approach. It's worked. It's made Ross a better and more rounded player.

Koeman's made plenty of mistakes in his first season, but how he's managed Ross has certainly not been one of them.

If Barkley wants to stay then Koeman will happily keep him. But I don't think going forward - barring Ross really keeping up the standards he set in the back half of last season (which I do think he's capable of) - he sees him as massively important to how he wants the team to play.

Important, yes, and a bonus to have in any side, but not integral. And given the contract situation we're in a tough position.

That's not just down to Ross, but it should have been resolved before the season ended. The club (Koeman) publicly pressed for an answer and seemingly, they haven't had one. Maybe, just maybe, they have, and it has all been resolved already either way, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

That is on Ross, and whoever has advised him in this.

Everton have offered him a deal that they clearly feel reflects his stature in the club - it's the second-biggest contract ever offered to an Everton player.

If he's holding out for more, and won't sign, then we have to sell and move on. And there's not currently a queue of top clubs that you'd say he'd 'walk into' waiting in line. So it begs the question, why won't he sign? Is it because he may not be guaranteed first team football, and doesn't have the balls for a fight (though he wouldn't have that at a 'top club' either).

Or, is it that he just sees his development elsewhere now, moving into the prime of his career.

The stats say he's had his best season in an Everton shirt last year and despite a poor start he was very much one of our better players in the back half of the season - especially when he formed a brilliant combo with Coleman down the right.

On that logic, it seems silly to leave now, when the club is evidently heading in the right direction on and off the pitch. But if he genuinely feels a move would be good for him, then so be it. We'll take the money and we'll move on.
That's just putting all the blame onto a player and finding every avenue you can to position the manager as the innocent party. It's not what's happened. Koeman had this lad in his sights from day one. Anyone who doesn't concede that point are kidding themselves. He's not leaving under his own steam, he's been singled out and targeted and it isn't down to cash...the old fall back position of the jilted footy fan who just love to have a Judas to throw stones at.

Ross Barkley will leave because at the end of the day he is a certain type of footballer who doesn't fit this manager's 'style'. All the rest is spin and bollocks to portray the player in a bad light.

Do we know that?

Because I've been hearing that he's been unhappy for a while, since at least the second Martinez season when things were going south.

These comments were all based on rumour and conjecture of course, but then again that's what your initial comment is also doing. You don't know how long Ross has wanted out of Everton. He could very easily have wanted out when Moyes was treating him like dirt or when things went south with Martinez. Just because Martinez was firing platitudes at him in public doesn't mean there wasn't any needle behind the scenes

Again Dave, you need to appreciate the grey. Life is much more complicated

Could you please stop being so sensible Mikey, it really doesn't suit the current climate on here.

Regards x

That's just putting all the blame onto a player and finding every avenue you can to position the manager as the innocent party. It's not what's happened. Koeman had this lad in his sights from day one. Anyone who doesn't concede that point are kidding themselves. He's not leaving under his own steam, he's been singled out and targeted and it isn't down to cash...the old fall back position of the jilted footy fan who just love to have a Judas to throw stones at.

Ross Barkley will leave because at the end of the day he is a certain type of footballer who doesn't fit this manager's 'style'. All the rest is spin and bollocks to portray the player in a bad light.

Extremism is bad in any form.

He was our second top scorer with a mighty 5 goals and managed 2 assists more than Mirallas and started 9 more games than him.

Tells me all I need to know, he is very easily replaced if he chooses to leave.

Don't start making out he's the scouse Maradona because you want to use it as another stick to beat Koeman with.

Barkley is a very good player who we'll miss if he goes

We'll survive without him of course, as we always do when we lose a brilliant player like him, but I can't see how anyone can't find this a very sad situation

What I'm not interested in though is attributing blame, because I don't think there deserves to be any

Koeman has a rational stance and so does Ross

At the end of the day, if Ross thinks another manager will do better with his career then that's fair enough

Again, I 100% believe this has nothing to do with money, because otherwise Ross would have signed that record breaking contract

He won't get more at another club money wise, but he might get a manager who he feels is better suited to him as a player and man

Point to me the man or woman who says they've never considered leaving their place of employment because of a clash with their manager and I'll point to you a liar

Barkley has had his best season for Everton under Koeman.
FACT.
Now, that evidently isn't all down to Koeman, and I praise Ross for that impact and turnaround in form.
But... Surely it absolutely dispels your stupid narrative?

Koeman took the tough love approach. It's worked. It's made Ross a better and more rounded player.

Koeman's made plenty of mistakes in his first season, but how he's managed Ross has certainly not been one of them.
It's "worked". That's why he's half way down the road to Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.