• No

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Nev - he used to tip certain goals over the bar - he'd have caught that one Robles saved against Bournemouth at 3-2.

I don't think he was as good as people make out.

How many tournaments did Wales qualify for when he was in goal?

As a sports mad Welshman let me answer that for you - we struggled to a alify due to a lack of quality players in all areas (when you have to supplement the likes of Nev, Giggs, Speed, Rush et al wiith 3rd division players then its difficult) and horrendous bad luck - in 1991/2 being 2nd in the group to world champions Germany when only the top team in qualifying went through to the Euro's, a missed penalty away in 1993 from the WC.

I'm guessing you never actually watched Nev much but he was formidable. He was so talented a footballer that when the Prem started using squad names and numbers an outfield 'SOUTHALL' shirt was prepared as it was felt if there was an injury crisis he could easily slot in to defence/defensive midfield.

You are entitled to an opinion of course, but, and this is key for people to understand, for an opinion to be valid, you need to actually know what you are talking about

As a sports mad Welshman let me answer that for you - we struggled to a alify due to a lack of quality players in all areas (when you have to supplement the likes of Nev, Giggs, Speed, Rush et al wiith 3rd division players then its difficult) and horrendous bad luck - in 1991/2 being 2nd in the group to world champions Germany when only the top team in qualifying went through to the Euro's, a missed penalty away in 1993 from the WC.

I'm guessing you never actually watched Nev much but he was formidable. He was so talented a footballer that when the Prem started using squad names and numbers an outfield 'SOUTHALL' shirt was prepared as it was felt if there was an injury crisis he could easily slot in to defence/defensive midfield.

You are entitled to an opinion of course, but, and this is key for people to understand, for an opinion to be valid, you need to actually know what you are talking about
He was the best in the world at the time.

Neville Southall 1983-1996 would get into any side there ever was.

In title winning sides he could

In title chasing teams he could go 90 minutes without touching the ball, then pull off a world class save to win the points. In relegation battling teams he could pull off 90 minutes of world class saves to give you a fighting chance.

Without Southall, there is a good chance we win nothing between 1984-87. There's an even greater chance that the 1994 side gets relegated. And it's an absolute certainty that we don't beat Man United in the 1995 Final.

A legitimately world class footballer and Everton's most successful player of all time.

Wash yer mouth out son.

Without doubt the world's best for 4 or 5 years at least. And without the injury playing for Wales in 86, the double that year would have been ours.

I was only 8 when we lost the double so my memories are vague of the league campaign ( unfortunately I remember the cup final all too well ) but I think it shows you the level of the man and how he's held in such high esteem that it still gets spoken of that we would have done the double if he hadn't got injured. I can't think of any other goalkeeper who has had praise like that before. You'd expect fans to say that about their strikers not goalkeepers.

Quality player, Evertonian, Everton legend and my favourite player of all time and that will never ever change.

First time on the forum for me. I'm a proud Evertonian, exiled in Wiltshire. I make the long trip up on the South West Everton supporters club coach.

I am fascinated with our history and love the old video's in the Winslow before the game. I have seen plenty of videos of big Nev, but just keen to hear from you guys as to why you think he was the best. What were his outstanding assets/abilities as a keeper?

One of the best of all time, not just in England but in the world. Doesn't get the credit he deserves, people like shilton, seaman, woods were not even close to him.

Southall had incredible reflexes and his positional sense was second to none. He dominated his box, it was his box and our defenders knew it. If a ball was to be won with him, a striker and 2 defenders you would always see 3 people flat are on their arse and big nev standing with the ball

Legend, no other way to describe him

In title winning sides he could

In title chasing teams he could go 90 minutes without touching the ball, then pull off a world class save to win the points. In relegation battling teams he could pull off 90 minutes of world class saves to give you a fighting chance.

Without Southall, there is a good chance we win nothing between 1984-87. There's an even greater chance that the 1994 side gets relegated. And it's an absolute certainty that we don't beat Man United in the 1995 Final.

A legitimately world class footballer and Everton's most successful player of all time.

Wash yer mouth out son.
Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.