Everton Youth Teams Thread

Are we playing Blackpool this week in that EFL Cup thing?
Naw , we're playing Norwich U23s on Friday in that Premier League 2 Cup thingy, we play Blackpool a week today at home on 8th Nov. Need to win or draw plus win penalty shoot out to progress.

The PL2 Cup Thingy is the competition where we beat Wolves 1-0 a few weeks ago, Portsmouth are the other team in our group. Home and away against all teams , top2 go through to K.O. Rounds.

Naw , we're playing Norwich U23s on Friday in that Premier League 2 Cup thingy, we play Blackpool a week today at home on 8th Nov. Need to win or draw plus win penalty shoot out to progress.

The PL2 Cup Thingy is the competition where we beat Wolves 1-0 a few weeks ago, Portsmouth are the other team in our group. Home and away against all teams , top2 go through to K.O. Rounds.

next tuesday. seem to have organised them all for over international breaks so the team that plays is completely different to our usual 11

Cheers lads

Might go to that next week then

A good competitive match that, I would say we shaded it but few chances for either team in 2nd half , Kenny had our best chance but leaning back he put it over the bar. Thought we lost a bit of impetus when Walsh went off injured, but Davies stepped up a gear and was probabably our best player, looking at him you could see how he would fit in to a first team squad both in style and physicality.

Our defence was pretty solid throughout and I thought all four played well, Connolly was solid enough and as the youngest in our team Feeney looked very composed , read the game well moved forward to intercept at the right times. It was an interesting comparison watching him and Chelsea's Chalobah who I thought was their best player. Feeney and him played the CB roles together for England u17s about 6 months ago , Chalobah is much bigger and physical and has moved up to U19s, Feeney u 18s. It will be interesting to see how Feeney develops physically, a bit more growth and weight needed I think.

It was good to see Robinson back fully fit and continuing to improve at LB , he continued where he left off against the RS, bombing down the wing delivering crosses, though not always with great accuracy. I think he's going to have a future somewhere but hard at this stage to say he's first team material when you compare him with Galloway and Garbutt when they played LB. Matty Foulds came on for Walsh, I wonder where he's been . He played in midfield and while he struggled to make an impact I thought he showed good skills , control and another with a good left foot.
I agree with comments about Dowell , maybe it's a confidence thing but doesn't look as sharp as he did towards the end of last season.

We should be in for some of these Chelsea players...saving them from oblivion.

They either get loaned out for too long or sold off...or both. Surely some could be signed before their impending doom?

Every opposition match report I've ever read always starts off by saying how their line up was an exceptionally young one, up against bigger more experienced opponents.

The Chelsea one I read earlier said something like "Chelsea did well up against experienced opponents" - they had Zouma and Van Ginkel in their starting line up with over 200 top flight appearances between them!

Just read that Adam Forshaw, once of Everton, is being considered for an England call up by Southgate.

Good example to young players at PL clubs in that he took a move down the leagues to get first team football and was now worked his way back up to the top.

And a good example to those who write of any player who isn't pulling up trees when they are 20. Forshaw is PL ready at 25, he wasn't at 20, or even 23.

Just read that Adam Forshaw, once of Everton, is being considered for an England call up by Southgate.

Good example to young players at PL clubs in that he took a move down the leagues to get first team football and was now worked his way back up to the top.

And a good example to those who write of any player who isn't pulling up trees when they are 20. Forshaw is PL ready at 25, he wasn't at 20, or even 23.
I think we'll be seeing a lot more examples of this over the next few years.

I always liked Forshaw and probably wrote about him on here many years ago. Neat and tidy, easy in possession and looked a natural fit for central midfield. He was in the same team as Baxter who got a lot of hype but was always more impressed with Forshaw.

Alex Fergusan wrote in his book you only really know if a lad is good enough when they are 23. That's when they have completed their physical development and you see the end package to go alongside the technical skill. He also acknowledged that you rarely get a chance to keep players until they are 23 to get to see that, so it is often guesswork.

The other paradox is that players aged 16-23 do require competitive game time to progress. However it is getting harder to achieve that. Anyway good luck to Forshaw.