Who let Everton/Koeman down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Koeman: "We will do business for three or four more players. I don't comment on rumours [but] we have had discussions with the board and with Steve Walsh, and we want three or four more players.”

We then signed Bolasie.

After signing Bolasie, Koeman said;

He said: “We always look at players [that will make us] have a stronger squad. That’s one of our jobs to do - to improve the team.

“If we don’t think we have that type of player in the squad, then we will sign that player.

What we need in the team, we will bring in.”

Moshiri, after signing Bolasie: “We are very pleased about today’s signing but remain anxious to further strengthen the squad."

“The chairman is relentlessly pushing things forward with my total support for him, Steve Walsh and Ronald Koeman”.

On Friday

Koeman: "If we don't sign any player before Wednesday then I will be a little bit disappointed,"

This is the clubs manager, and majority shareholder openly admitting they need to strengthen the squad - after we signed Bolasie.

It's a fair assumption then, that the club didn't leverage the transfer window as well as they expected and that both Moshiri and Koeman will be a tad annoyed this morning. Koeman admitted himself he'd be disappointed.

So, how do Everton learn from it? Who at Everton is responsible for our transfer shenanigans?

Moshiri tells us it's Kenwright, with support from himself, Steve Walsh and Ronald Koeman.

Since Moshiri come in, with the exception of Alexander Ryazantsev joining the board who has no experience in football - he's kept faith with the existing regime. He promoted Elstone and Barrett-Baxendale to the board. Does Moshiri now have a mandate for change?

"If a player doesn't want to join, what can we do?"
"If a bigger club comes in and takes our transfers, what can we do?"

Appreciate these views, but for me - that is part of the process. Competition/scoping out players who will come and navigating the minefield and murky world of football agents.

Too many times does it seem we've been made a patsy. Forget Sissoko. That was a last minute, panic. I'm not convinced we should be throwing that type of money at a player who the clubs manager wouldn't have had the opportunity to even meet face to face. That failing is just one of many.

So then, I'll wrap up with.

• Who is to blame for Koeman being left - in his own words - "disappointed"
  • Should Moshiri be making changes to the transfer way of working at Everton?

I'm gonna write something to bore anyone who reads it later but ultimately this must be used as a learning curve and ultimatum to those making the transfers. If you're scrambling around on deadline day then that means you've failed regardless.

I look forward to Koeman's comments at the next press conference as he's not shy and will be interesting to see if he uses it to place pressure on above as he's used them previously to put pressure on certain players.

I'm gonna write something to bore anyone who reads it later but ultimately this must be used as a learning curve and ultimatum to those making the transfers. If you're scrambling around on deadline day then that means you've failed regardless.

I look forward to Koeman's comments at the next press conference as he's not shy and will be interesting to see if he uses it to place pressure on above as he's used them previously to put pressure on certain players.
Can you use this picture please mate?
image.jpeg

I honestly don't know, nobody does. Naivety of Moshiri? Lasting influence of Bill/Elstone? Or just the fallout from two disastrous seasons under the old regime?

I'm certain Moshiri has learnt from this though, as wanky as that sounds. He can never let this happen again, and will have to make serious changes to the way the club operates.

Whilst I was making a tongue in cheek comment, it worries me that there were so many targets, like I've never seen us interested in so many players before, and let so little end result. Koeman must be fuming.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if rather than some deflection tactics (Oh look, something shiny over here...), we actually addressed the core issue.

Mistakes happen, learn from them. Mitigate the risk of it happening again.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if rather than some deflection tactics (Oh look, something shiny over here...), we actually addressed the core issue.

Mistakes happen, learn from them. Mitigate the risk of it happening again.
I reckon Koeman comes across as a fella who will call a spade a spade.

If he doesn't, well, I'm going to find it hard to get up at 3am to watch us this year.

Whoever dealing with negotiations for this club is or are amateur in the football industry. We need someone who has the ability to push through deals and when things are not going in our way he has to be ruthless and decisive. Let go and move onto plan b immediately not stalling in hope the selling clubs would give in.

What we need is a sensible transfer strategy given the fact every club in the PL and the top European clubs are equally rich as Everton.

For me that means developing our own players as much as possible. In addition to investing massively in our own academy we need to be picking up the best young players from the likes of Man City and Chelsea and showing them a clear pathway to playing first team football. I think I counted something like 15 young attackers in the Man City squad who are more highly rated than anyone we have in those age groups, and they are recruiting more all the time.

We need to be developing proper links with lower league clubs throughout the country and making sure we develop a reputation as a club that plays young players.

When we do buy players it must be to fill a gap in the squad where we don't have a decent youth option. If that means paying well over the odds than so be it.

However if it is a choice between £30m on Sissoko or £30m into developing the best scouting / player development system in England I'll take the latter every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.