Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Good luck mate. I shall attend the gym with a view to awkwardly using some of the kit!
Hahaha, same really! I used to do loads of it over summer*, but I'm way weaker now... :( Waaay too skinny, just veins remain lol

I'll get back up to speed though.

*as you can see by the "this is fecking hard lad" face - it's 130kg deadlift lol but you can't see the smaller plates cuz of the angle of the picture. I started from barely lifting 40 in July, this is a picture from early September!

What I'm saying is, you can do it Bry :)

To be honest lads I've been suffering serious alcohol problems in recent weeks. I've had problems with alcohol since I was 16, I do do need help like but I'm only 23 does anyone know any non AA way to treat my suffering.

To be honest lads I've been suffering serious alcohol problems in recent weeks. I've had problems with alcohol since I was 16, I do do need help like but I'm only 23 does anyone know any non AA way to treat my suffering.

i've been drinking almost everyday, my addiction programme has been shut down due to cut's have anyone got any help.
Sorry to hear that brate. Alcohol is way too easy to access around our parts, sadly, even at a younger age.

I was in the same boat as you at roughly the same age (and we're the same age now). What helped me get through it was quitting cold turkey and going back to sport. Before my problems I used to train basketball for nearly 8 years, then after my problems I went to football. What helped me during was, well, any sport - I tried and played volleyball, tennis, went jogging daily, went to the gym (even just for cardio or something), anything and everything. Something else which helped a wee bit, which might sound a bit jarg, was meditating - whenever I felt like I needed a drink I just did that. It's really easy and quick to learn the basics and all you need to do is 5-15 minutes tops... Also drink water when you feel the need to drink alcohol, it helps, even if it's a bit. Plus the bonus side of all this is that you'd look and feel better! :)

I really wish I could help you to be honest, I know exactly how it is, but my advice is kind of bad, as we're not all in the exact same boat and can't all do things the same way. Sorry for that.

Keep us updated on your situation mate, we're here to listen if you ever need a(n electronic) ear, at least. I'm sure someone will come along with actual better advice too...

i've been drinking almost everyday, my addiction programme has been shut down due to cut's have anyone got any help.
Can't help you specifically from all the way down here, but I can say that I'm impressed that at such a young age you've realised the problem exists & have started addressing it.

You've put your hand up for help & I know someone more local than I will help you in the right direction. ;)

Welcome mate. I'm not an expert, but is there a reason(s) why you've got a drink problem ?. ( I'm not prying )

From experience with friends who have had drink and drug problems proffesional help is the way forward if you haven't already got it ?. I'm not talking about AA, but various other support groups that are linked into the NHS.

Have you looked online as there are forums where you can talk openly with others who are in a similar situation and bounce of them ?.

I do think professional help is the best way forward though, even if it's not the AA.

lost my brother to alcoholism last year. he refused to admit he was an alcoholic, at least you are accepting it, that is a step forward.

You've taken the first most important step by admitting you have a problem. That's huge. Be proud of that. You really need to tell other people now. Alcohol is so much a part of our culture that avoiding it is incredibly difficult. Going out with your mates and not drinking (the "I'm on antibiotics" excuse is only good for so long) Tell them - maybe something on social media along the lines of I've got a problem, when I refuse a drink please don't try to force me to have one. Replace your crazy drunken stories with crazy sober stories- trust me they are still there. Figure out your own list of things you enjoy about drinking and how you can keep those things alive through not drinking. If you mess up don't beat yourself up about it and if it's only once, forget it. You're human. Give yourself one chance, and don't even feel the need to share your failure with anyone. Try to figure out why you fell off the wagon and vow never to do it again. But if you mess up twice, then you need to admit it: You've failed (this time). Go public with that failure; you'll almost certainly be inundated with offers of support and praise for your honesty. Take all that you're offered. Use that praise to start again.

If you have a job, tell your employers. Most reasonable employers will be totally supportive if you show that you are trying to quit. Before I left my last job, I represented somebody who was on a gross misconduct disciplinary for drinking in work. He was a fully blown alcoholic but completely in denial. It was so sad. He couldn't see there was a problem. He turned up for the final meeting, stinking of booze with four cans of lager in his bag. He was sacked. Had he been able to admit he had a problem and sought help he would still be employed.

Most importantly- do it for you. Not your parents/significant other. You've got to want it.

Good luck mate- I've lost family members and good friends to alcoholism.

You've taken the first most important step by admitting you have a problem. That's huge. Be proud of that. You really need to tell other people now. Alcohol is so much a part of our culture that avoiding it is incredibly difficult. Going out with your mates and not drinking (the "I'm on antibiotics" excuse is only good for so long) Tell them - maybe something on social media along the lines of I've got a problem, when I refuse a drink please don't try to force me to have one. Replace your crazy drunken stories with crazy sober stories- trust me they are still there. Figure out your own list of things you enjoy about drinking and how you can keep those things alive through not drinking. If you mess up don't beat yourself up about it and if it's only once, forget it. You're human. Give yourself one chance, and don't even feel the need to share your failure with anyone. Try to figure out why you fell off the wagon and vow never to do it again. But if you mess up twice, then you need to admit it: You've failed (this time). Go public with that failure; you'll almost certainly be inundated with offers of support and praise for your honesty. Take all that you're offered. Use that praise to start again.

If you have a job, tell your employers. Most reasonable employers will be totally supportive if you show that you are trying to quit. Before I left my last job, I represented somebody who was on a gross misconduct disciplinary for drinking in work. He was a fully blown alcoholic but completely in denial. It was so sad. He couldn't see there was a problem. He turned up for the final meeting, stinking of booze with four cans of lager in his bag. He was sacked. Had he been able to admit he had a problem and sought help he would still be employed.

Most importantly- do it for you. Not your parents/significant other. You've got to want it.

Good luck mate- I've lost family members and good friends to alcoholism.

Fantastic post, well in .

Is right mate. Me and my flatmate are going to check out some gyms tomorrow and start going soon enough.

if there's two of you it might be cheaper to just buy a cage and barbell if you're just looking to weight train

course if youre after treadmills or pools or whatever then you'll need a gym