Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't know that unless you check the 3rd bottom team, could of been on 24pts and only managed to get 10 from possible 15, you also said that because we finish 4 or 5 points ahead of 3rd bottom means we were not safe until game day 36 was finished, that to was potentially incorrect to state.
It was Leeds - they had 32 points with 5 games remaining; Everton were on 38.

By the way I love the way Dave used "net" spend there as a safety blanket for when Lukaku leaves for a massive fee. Excuses are already set in place for our 15th placed finish next season. He's an evil genius
Well if we sell Lukaku and he just gets that to spend that'd be the thick end of any none net spend transfer kitty - and how could you judge him on replacing his best player and getting reinforcements in?

Fair enough. What about Koeman? Would you take him?

He's a good manager suited to Arsenal, not for these players we have. If he came in it'd be a root and branch job, and we dont require it. Best sticking with RM and giving him the cash to sort this defensive unit out.

Stoke have spent quite a bit. Southampton have been impressive with their spending. Koeman will take over from Wenger...no shadow of a doubt in my mind.

My worry is though in that situation Southampton would then go and get an emery or mancini in and continue to leave us behind. Seeing clubs like Leicester and Newcastle with top managers genuinely scares me, with the new TV deal the top managers will all be wanting to ply their trade over here and it's why I worry that we'll be left behind if we persist too long with the current manager.

I never wanted him out last season as I always say barring a disaster you should give a manager atleast 3 seasons before making a decision on there future, and considering we had no EL to contend with this season this has been just as much a poor season as last.

For me unless he wins the cup I can't justify him getting a 4th season, obviously it comes down to Farhad Moshiri but I would hope a results driven individual can see that we would be taking a massive risk handing a Martin O'Neil sized pot of cash to someone who's had 1 top half finish in something like 8 seasons in the PL, and who has underperformed massively in the past 2 seasons with a talented group of players.

My worry is though in that situation Southampton would then go and get an emery or mancini in and continue to leave us behind. Seeing clubs like Leicester and Newcastle with top managers genuinely scares me, with the new TV deal the top managers will all be wanting to ply their trade over here and it's why I worry that we'll be left behind if we persist too long with the current manager.

I never wanted him out last season as I always say barring a disaster you should give a manager atleast 3 seasons before making a decision on there future, and considering we had no EL to contend with this season this has been just as much a poor season as last.

For me unless he wins the cup I can't justify him getting a 4th season, obviously it comes down to Farhad Moshiri but I would hope a results driven individual can see that we would be taking a massive risk handing a Martin O'Neil sized pot of cash to someone who's had 1 top half finish in something like 8 seasons in the PL.
Ranieri and Benitez aren't top managers. They've been sacked nearly every place they've gone.

I have never suggested that you suggested he be dismissed, but given you anticipated the response to this level of performance 12 months ago, I find it very odd that you should be so quick to criticise those that hold that view, including myself.

It's the natural consequences of Martinez' consistent under-performance - I really don't mind or care if you hold an alternate view, but I do find it strange that you should characterise supporters who hold that view in the manner you have, given you yourself anticipated it.

YOU WHAT??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

There was me being told I was in danger of putting the fire bobbies under unnecessary danger by running around with my hair ablaze...That I was in danger of wearing out my doctor's percussion hammer - given my 'kneejerk' responses.

And all the while I was ignorant that @davek had forecast the (entirely reasonable) reaction to further martinez underachievement a whole 12 months ago...I've been totally vindicated...Thank you VERY much @The Esk.

applause.gif

Ranieri and Benitez aren't top managers. They've been sacked nearly every place they've gone.

Taking away Rafael's kopite past he's a top manager in all fairness. He's won:

1x Champions League
1 Europa League
1x Uefa Cup
2x La Liga titles
1x FA Cup
1x Italian Cup

If a relegation threatened side can attract a manager with that on their CV we shouldn't worry about not being able to attract a top quality manager ourselves, which for me is why I think it's futile giving the current manager a 4th season if he doesn't deliver that FA Cup this season. The way our league form has remained pitiful he's essentially put all his eggs in this one basket, I want him out regardless but I would fully support him getting another season if he does go and win it (although I would still be expecting more of the same underachievement next season).

Taking away Rafael's kopite past he's a top manager in all fairness. He's won:

1x Champions League
1 Europa League
1x Uefa Cup
2x La Liga titles
1x FA Cup
1x Italian Cup

If a relegation threatened side can attract a manager with that on their CV we shouldn't worry about not being able to attract a top quality manager ourselves, which for me is why I think it's futile giving the current manager a 4th season if he doesn't deliver that FA Cup this season. The way our league form has remained pitiful he's essentially put all his eggs in this one basket, I want him out regardless but I would fully support him getting another season if he does go and win it (although I would still be expecting more of the same underachievement next season).
He's a busted flush now. Teams need to attack and take three points to compete at the business end of leagues, he can only set up not to concede and scab points.

I'd rather eat my own faeces than have that scrotum manage our club.

Aye which is why I said taking away his kopite past mate. To a club like Newcastle I doubt their fans give a damn he managed our lovable neighbours, but they still can attract a manager of that quality. The new TV deal essentially means all 20 prem clubs could afford to spend £50 million+ in the transfer window, all the top managers will be listening to offers which is why I don't see the point in sticking with underachievement when we could enquire about the services of managers that can do both win trophies AND perform well in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.