Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's suited some on here to polarise the debate about Martinez - into some from of choice between the merits of a successful league campaign and winning a cup (which we haven't done yet)

Writing off the second successive poor league campaign as being somehow 'meaningless' in comparison to lifting the FA Cup creates that false narrative.

Spot on some are happy for us to be back in the 90's. I wonder if they were miserable when we played in Europe season in season out? Bet they wanted us to hook Yakubu and get Marcus Bent back.

30 mil profit is good and yet you scoff at the lost 20 mil due to league position as nothing.
Christ. No mate, that's not what I'm saying. At all.

I'm saying that Martinez bringing in a player for 2 years and making 30million-ish profit on him is good business. Provided we can reinvest of course.

I'm also saying that, looking at the current league standings, I'd sacrifice a place or two in the league in order to win the FA Cup.

That's all.

Sheesh.

I'd say, on a purely odds/chance basis, there must be a footballer out there who, for 40-60million, would get us 15-20 goals a season.

I'm willing to bet the fiver in my pocket Ian.
What's the bet?

And if we are talking 40-60m players of any position, it will be a real struggle to attract.

If you remember, even Lukaku took the whole summer to decide to join us, about week before the Leicester game and if you compare our situation then to our situation now, I doubt anyone will be as optimistic as we were at the close of the 13/14 season.

Christ. No mate, that's not what I'm saying. At all.

I'm saying that Martinez bringing in a player for 2 years and making 30million-ish profit on him is good business. Provided we can reinvest of course.

I'm also saying that, looking at the current league standings, I'd sacrifice a place or two in the league in order to win the FA Cup.

That's all.

Sheesh.
Fair do's mate.

What's the bet?

And if we are talking 40-60m players of any position, it will be a real struggle to attract.

If you remember, even Lukaku took the whole summer to decide to join us, about week before the Leicester game and if you compare our situation then to our situation now, I doubt anyone will be as optimistic as we were at the close of the 13/14 season.

The bet is that with 60million in our pocket, we will adequately replace Lukaku.
Sure the player we bring in may not be world class like Romelu will undoubtedly be, however without CL football it would be foolish to think we can keep anyone who wants to play on the biggest stage. We may survive a summer like we did last but there is an inevitably I'm sure you'd agree.

Is Bony for instance likely to get 15 goals with Barkley behind him and Geri/Yarmolenko flanking him? I'd say absolutely yes. Is he as good as RL? No. Am I that arsed? Nah, because I repeat, it's foolish to think that on a transfer budget RM has worked under, CL is anything more than fantasy stuff.

That budget changes dramatically this summer, but it won't be until 2017/18 that we can potentially entice CL footballers.

If that were so the club will be bankrupt and nothing to show for the spend and we would be down a hole from which there could be no escape.:coffee:

Martinez has gone down once and we are closer to the bottom three than we were this time last year.......

Would rather have the trophy

Oh and that 5th place, would also attract more players to the club compared to the fa cup. Especially when the 5th place makes us look , you know, good? Where a bottom half finish again makes us look crap. Adding into the fact one of our players this week has said he wants to leave because we haven't got anywhere near the top 4 since he joined.....

Martinez has gone down once and we are closer to the bottom three than we were this time last year.......

Oh and that 5th place, would also attract more players to the club compared to the fa cup. Especially when the 5th place makes us look , you know, good? Where a bottom half finish again makes us look crap. Adding into the fact one of our players this week has said he wants to leave because we haven't got anywhere near the top 4 since he joined.....
You don't think winning the most prestigious domestic tournament in world football will entice players? Especially foreign players?

Come on now mate... Really?

The bet is that with 60million in our pocket, we will adequately replace Lukaku.
Sure the player we bring in may not be world class like Romelu will undoubtedly be, however without CL football it would be foolish to think we can keep anyone who wants to play on the biggest stage. We may survive a summer like we did last but there is an inevitably I'm sure you'd agree.

Is Bony for instance likely to get 15 goals with Barkley behind him and Geri/Yarmolenko flanking him? I'd say absolutely yes. Is he as good as RL? No. Am I that arsed? Nah, because I repeat, it's foolish to think that on a transfer budget RM has worked under, CL is anything more than fantasy stuff.

That budget changes dramatically this summer, but it won't be until 2017/18 that we can potentially entice CL footballers.
Not convinced is as cut and dried as it looks. His head always gets turned when he goes away with Belgium.

Also he could see changes happening and want to be part of it. Be that the manager, players coming in, coaching staff etc. Whatever we do this summer it must be done early, and that includes him.

2 things.

1, but if he wants to leave, let him.

2, so if you aren't bothered by the dough, you're not bothered about where we finish this season provided we win the FA Cup?

Who said I'm not bothered by where we finish?

Of course I am. The dough from getting 5th wouldn't necessarily mean our top player wanted to leave would it?

Think about it...

You don't think winning the most prestigious domestic tournament in world football will entice players? Especially foreign players?

Come on now mate... Really?
Haha no. Not in the slightest.

Because a bottom half if the league team for 2 years running don't look like a team that is going anywhere. A team finishing 5th looks like they might actually challenge in the future.

Considering our striker wants champions league football , is say that is pretty high in the list for foreign players, more so joining a team who could possibly get them there. Foreign players especially don't give a damn about us winning the fa cup if the team struggles to win games in the league, just ask our 26 goals striker that......

Haha no. Not in the slightest.

Because a bottom half if the league team for 2 years running don't look like a team that is going anywhere. A team finishing 5th looks like they might actually challenge in the future.

Considering our striker wants champions league football , is say that is pretty high in the list for foreign players, more so joining a team who could possibly get them there. Foreign players especially don't give a damn about us winning the fa cup if the team struggles to win games in the league, just ask our 26 goals striker that......
Well will have to just politely disagree on this one mate

Who said I'm not bothered by where we finish?

Of course I am. The dough from getting 5th wouldn't necessarily mean our top player wanted to leave would it?

Think about it..

I'm struggling mate as this doesn't seem to make sense.

Does RL want Cash or the 5th place trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.