Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was available. Real Madrid named their price and I showed a little graph at the start of the window that showed how effective he was in La Liga last year. All I'm saying is there was options. We won't get too many more seasons before this team is broken up either by transfers or age and I think we should have shown a bit of ambition this season. What angers me is it looks like the money was there.

A graph? Really. Maybe you should have emailed it to Martinez because he clearly didn't see it, and by the looks of it we were never interested.

There are lots of ways to judge this window, from good to bad to everything in between, and I won't argue too much with whatever opinion people choose to take. I tend not to get too high or low since it's such a crap shoot anyway.

The thing I can't get over is how big of a misstep it was for Martinez to say over and over that we would sign a new playmaker. He never danced around it, or suggested that we might be "looking" at one. He said numerous times since the end of last season that we would make this signing. Regardless of why this didn't end up happening, he should have known better than to make such a definitive statement. He's now left himself open to plenty of scrutiny and cynicism from the fans. And that's probably the biggest disappointment for me. The entire fan base is left wondering what is really going on.

Great motto and one I grew up actually watching Everton fulfil which I am proud of, but unfortunately it is just sentiment these days!

Again do you think I would not want all of the above? Of course I would, yet you (and others) have not given a realistic alternative to our woes.

The real issue is that we have people on our board who are not football fans like you and I; that's something that people too easily forget.

Ideally they would sell up entirely at an affordable price so that some oligarch would build us. If not, at a minimum put lots of their own money in.

But why would they do that? It is the sad situation that due to mismanagement lasting twenty plus years that we are where we are...

A club that isn't a viable option for external capital investment (due to a number of reasons) and are relying on slow investment before they sell.

It's now that I am happy with the status quo - far from it! I just do not see how ranting will positively change the situation.

On another note...

Is it the board or is it Martinez? Everyone is stating the former, but it is just speculation. He happily spunked £9.5m on an unknown defender.

Could that not have been spent on bringing the pivotal number ten if money was available? I don't know and neither do you - that's the point.

It's only sentiment if people accept it as sentiment.

The board have you viewing a successful window as not losing any key players. Even if we desperately need a certain type of player (which we do) and we don't get him, oh well, we didn't lose Stones so yay Kenwright!

We are loaning next seasons TV money to repay loans we took out last season. It's a vicious circle of loans.

It's exactly like taking out a Wonga loan to repay a Wonga loan. People have committed suicide because of the spiral of debt they get into from doing that. Our board is doing the exact same but with millions instead of thousands.

If we sign Lennon, that will likely give Martinez comfort to play Del or Mirallas opposite him as Lennon will offer defensive support. He'll bring more balance to the side. Signing Deu, Clev, Lennon, Mori, and Rodriguez along with keeping all of our best players is a pretty good window. Playing with a 10 is nice at times, but it's not a requirement. So long as Bobby is willing to change things up with his approach, we'll be sound. He addressed the depth issue this window. Hopefully he addresses the creative component we seem to lack next time. The sky is defo not falling.

We all were, he made it perfectly clear. Maybe he'll explain but I doubt it. Maybe the type of player he wanted was not for sale and there's no point in spending for the sake of it
He was. There was loads of them even down to the last few hours.

Playmakers. Quintero, Bernard on loan. Wingers Cheryshev (15m)

All players that were in our price range. There was even two that wouldn't even have cost any money. He just didn't want one. He was happy with the squad.

i thought we had begun negotiations much earlier than that. i'm not without empathy of understanding their position, yes, but they also reneged on their initial decision - they even outright said we met their valuation and had us hanging around. i wouldn't want two days to replace a player either, but if i'm surkis and i'm genuinely considering moving yarmo to us (in asking us to meet his valuation), it seems pretty rude to just back out and leave us with no time at all.

Nope. Kiev chairman said 6 days ago.

Don't blame Kiev at all. Think about if we were in their shoes.

We will be told how lucky and plucky we are that we have kept Stones.

Also Martinez has lost all creditably over his "we know what we need" remarks.

A lot of onus on Barkley now. Others around him need to step up.

Expect Lennon to come straight in against Chelsea. He hasn't payed pre-season but he'll get two weeks under his belt over the internationals and will be able to manage an hour at least.

Anything over than Kone/Naismith on the wings...

He was available. Real Madrid named their price and I showed a little graph at the start of the window that showed how effective he was in La Liga last year. All I'm saying is there was options. We won't get too many more seasons before this team is broken up either by transfers or age and I think we should have shown a bit of ambition this season. What angers me is it looks like the money was there.

You had me at "graph".

BarkleyPickaPass_zpsf6s5iwa9.gif~original

Thanks! Perfect example of why we need a number 10 to do things like that on a regular basis. That's what Lukaku thrives off.

Status
Not open for further replies.