Everton Youth Teams Thread

Kenny seems like a hot prospect. A leader on the pitch for his team, can play right back, cm and midfield
http://www.evertonfc.com/players/j/jk/jonjoe-kenny. Maybe Martinez is curious on how near/far he is from the first team and want to give him a test on the tour

.....he's terrific. Great attitude, let's not forget he won England the Euro's by converting the last spot kick in a final shoot out (Ledson also scored his). I did post a few weeks ago some feedback from FF where Kenny was up against Lukaku - a ball was played up to the big fella and Kenny nipped in to pinch it but on the next two occasions Lukaku put his arm across the lad and he ended up on his backside.

Interesting insight, the coaches will be watching those incidents with interest to gauge if players are ready. It is a big step up.

Had a good friend of mine play in the u21's match against burscough the other day. He said Kenny is solid and has a decent chance of making it. Other than that he singled out Ledson, Henen and another CM as the others who would have a chance of making it based on what he seen

It looks like we have good young defensive cover for our expected back four in Garbutt, Galloway, Browning, Pennington, Kenny. This should save us money in buying proven defenders as back up, the dilemma is that any of those five could probably step in and provide cover if needed if we had one injury but if we had two injuries then we would really be pushing it to use two of them. Although we do have Barry, Oviedo, Hibbert for back up. Then there is the question of who would benefit the most from a loan out. Garbutt, Galloway and Browning did well when they came in so it says something for the high level of coaching we provide at FF. I would imagine at least two of those three would be sent out on loan to get first team games.On the other hand Pennington did well on loan , played a reasonable amount of games so would he now benefit from specific coaching back at FF.? I would be tempted to keep Kenny at home for another year with a specific role of captaining the U21s again and bringing on the talented U17s/u18s we have . We know results as opposed to performance are less important for the U21s , but we didn't get the balance right last season . I would like to see a more competitive team this season with a target of a top 6 finishing position, all be it they would probably have a younger age than most teams.

It looks like we have good young defensive cover for our expected back four in Garbutt, Galloway, Browning, Pennington, Kenny. This should save us money in buying proven defenders as back up, the dilemma is that any of those five could probably step in and provide cover if needed if we had one injury but if we had two injuries then we would really be pushing it to use two of them. Although we do have Barry, Oviedo, Hibbert for back up. Then there is the question of who would benefit the most from a loan out. Garbutt, Galloway and Browning did well when they came in so it says something for the high level of coaching we provide at FF. I would imagine at least two of those three would be sent out on loan to get first team games.On the other hand Pennington did well on loan , played a reasonable amount of games so would he now benefit from specific coaching back at FF.? I would be tempted to keep Kenny at home for another year with a specific role of captaining the U21s again and bringing on the talented U17s/u18s we have . We know results as opposed to performance are less important for the U21s , but we didn't get the balance right last season . I would like to see a more competitive team this season with a target of a top 6 finishing position, all be it they would probably have a younger age than most teams.
I think this is why Bobby wants to sign a CB in their peak because he's got faith in the current batch of kids been able to lead our defence in a couple of seasons.

Sorry for the late reply on Kenny, I was working all weekend. I have seen a few asking what it means.

Kenny is a really good prospect. He is competitive, comfortable on the ball, a good tackler and quite quick. Long term whether he'd be skillfull enough to excel as Coleman's replacement is to be seen. He is ostensibly a centre half who is a little small to play in their currently so plays right back.

I don't think he has "jumped" over Ledson, or Dowell in the pecking order. They all occupy different spots. With Stones away, Distin and Alcaraz to be replaced there is more of a space for Kenny in the squad.

As for Ledson it is a bit odd but he hasn't been starting to so much for the reserves. I wonder if Unsworth completely fancies him, or alternatively the management may be slightly concerned with the number of games he's involved in. It's good to see him called up to the first team though.

Finally it is nice to see Joe Williams called up. He hasn't had many mentions on here but is another good player. I have little doubt he will make it pro, but whether he can do so for Everton we are still to see.

Sorry for the late reply on Kenny, I was working all weekend. I have seen a few asking what it means.

Kenny is a really good prospect. He is competitive, comfortable on the ball, a good tackler and quite quick. Long term whether he'd be skillfull enough to excel as Coleman's replacement is to be seen. He is ostensibly a centre half who is a little small to play in their currently so plays right back.

I don't think he has "jumped" over Ledson, or Dowell in the pecking order. They all occupy different spots. With Stones away, Distin and Alcaraz to be replaced there is more of a space for Kenny in the squad.

As for Ledson it is a bit odd but he hasn't been starting to so much for the reserves. I wonder if Unsworth completely fancies him, or alternatively the management may be slightly concerned with the number of games he's involved in. It's good to see him called up to the first team though.

Finally it is nice to see Joe Williams called up. He hasn't had many mentions on here but is another good player. I have little doubt he will make it pro, but whether he can do so for Everton we are still to see.

Valid point about Kenny and lack of height and whether he's good enough to make it as a rb. He looks like he's got the right attitude though and it's brilliant for us to say there's a little crop who may have a chance.

Really interesting one for me this season is Pennington. Got rave reviews when at Tranmere and same again last season at Coventry. Has gone about his business very quietly and under the radar a little so will be interesting to see if he's farmed out for another year or if we keep him in and around the squad. We could have Pennington, Browning and Galloway very soon pushing to be in and around the squad consistently as a centre back back up to Stones and Jags.

tbh think this is the likely explanation, wouln't be surprising if he got a liitle burnt out (mentally if not phyically) with the captaining the U17s in the Euros and then the step up to the u21s plus the Dallas cup.

Valid point about Kenny and lack of height and whether he's good enough to make it as a rb. He looks like he's got the right attitude though and it's brilliant for us to say there's a little crop who may have a chance.

Really interesting one for me this season is Pennington. Got rave reviews when at Tranmere and same again last season at Coventry. Has gone about his business very quietly and under the radar a little so will be interesting to see if he's farmed out for another year or if we keep him in and around the squad. We could have Pennington, Browning and Galloway very soon pushing to be in and around the squad consistently as a centre back back up to Stones and Jags.

I think Pennington is very close actually mate. He has come on leaps and bounds and has had a brilliant amount of first team football. Lets put it this way, if we'd just signed a decent league 1 sides Young player of the year and one of their best players I think we'd all be delighted and thinking they could push towards the first team. He has a brilliant attitude and I'd be surprised to see him loaned out again. I think this is partly why Martinez is happy for Browning to have a little loan out.

As for Kenny I am not trying to be harsh on him. I always try to give as balanced a view as possible. However Kenny has been a fantastic little player, and if far ahead of say Browning and Pennington when they were equivalent age. I could see him being a Lahm type full back. I don't know if Martinez sees him long term as a centre back. I also think he'd do ok as a defensive midfield player.

I started a thread a while back asking if we needed to sign a more experienced defender or whether we go with Pennington, Browning and Galloway as the main back up for Stones and Jags. It'll be fascinating to see just what Martinez does this season.

I started a thread a while back asking if we needed to sign a more experienced defender or whether we go with Pennington, Browning and Galloway as the main back up for Stones and Jags. It'll be fascinating to see just what Martinez does this season.

I think we probably do. Browning played very well at Centre back Saturday, but I am still to be convinced by him there. He probably needs 20 games on loan in that position to suss it out, a bit like what Stones had.

1 experienced defender should get us through nicely. Remember Martinez said he expects Galloways first 50 games to be at left back. So I expect him to be playing left back until he's around 21.

As I have said, an experienced defender for two years or so, to let the above 3 come through.

I think we probably do. Browning played very well at Centre back Saturday, but I am still to be convinced by him there. He probably needs 20 games on loan in that position to suss it out, a bit like what Stones had.

1 experienced defender should get us through nicely. Remember Martinez said he expects Galloways first 50 games to be at left back. So I expect him to be playing left back until he's around 21.

As I have said, an experienced defender for two years or so, to let the above 3 come through.

Playing around with a few scenarios, you'd imagine if we signed an experienced player, they'd get most of the back up jobs on offer, so that'd leave the three young lads to go out on loan to get the experience they need. You would imagine that all three would need PL experience to really kick-on. How likely is it that another PL club would take them on loan (or alternatively a top flight club in another league)?

I've always rated Williams a better player than Ledson. He certainly has much more going forward. Ledson reminds me too much of a John Ebbrell type -- solid but unexciting.

Playing around with a few scenarios, you'd imagine if we signed an experienced player, they'd get most of the back up jobs on offer, so that'd leave the three young lads to go out on loan to get the experience they need. You would imagine that all three would need PL experience to really kick-on. How likely is it that another PL club would take them on loan (or alternatively a top flight club in another league)?

Generally Martinez is happier to rotate his squad more than Moyes. I suspect that Browning will get some game time at right back, and Galloway will get some game time at left back. Pennington is a real bonus as I don't think we expected him to get this far. He will look to loan one of them out. Possibly Jagielka will be fazed out over the next 2-3 years as might Baines.

I've always rated Williams a better player than Ledson. He certainly has much more going forward. Ledson reminds me too much of a John Ebbrell type -- solid but unexciting.

Yes he was also very highly thought of. I think Ledsons biggest attribute is his mentality. Williams is a good player though, so nice to see him getting some recognition.