Everton v Spurs. 3rd Nov @ 13.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you suddenly jump from one class to another between halfs?

Being outlcassed is a bit more substantial than that...which is why people telling you you're confusing 'outclassed' with 'outplayed' are correct.
Think you should look at the definition outclassed. We were outclassed the first half. That's what I originally said and maintain. Look the definition up.

Spurs outplayed us first half, as we should expect as they have a stronger starting 11, and arguably the most balanced squad in the league.
In the second half, we had the better. A draw was a fair result.

Sometimes, I do worry though, we are our own worst enemy. I am in favour of playing possession football, but on 4/5 occasions today we lost the ball in our own third. This led to us having to have a pro-longed spell of defending. I think at times, especially early in games when the pressure is on, we have to mix our game up a bit. There is nothing wrong, with hitting channels/long to Lukaku, and pressing the opposition in their last third. This is not as offensive, or easy on the eye, but in games against the top sides, should allow us to gain a foothold, and may drive the opposition back to give us space to then pass the ball.

However, it was a decent result today, against a good side.

Fair points, buy look at it another way: if we're to perfect what the manager wants regarding controlling a game through control of the ball, do we just try that against rubbish teams and not chance it against better quality outfits? How would we progress if we just concentrated on becoming flat track bullies against lesser lights?

Just wondering where everyone thinks we need improving.

For me Mirallas is mostly average, obvs Osman needs to go but the rest are great players.

Cole man is suffering from the new system and not breaking forward down the wing so much. We are much more effectinve when he does.

For me Mirallas is mostly average, obvs Osman needs to go but the rest are great players.

Cole man is suffering from the new system and not breaking forward down the wing so much. We are much more effectinve when he does.

We need players who are confident on the ball and can pick a pass, Some if not all of our players today struggled making easy passes

A CM and Striker are a must

Think you should look at the definition outclassed. We were outclassed the first half. That's what I originally said and maintain. Look the definition up.

Outclassed was City/Norwich yesterday

Not going in 0-0 and restricting Spurs to long shots

Get a grip

We're picking up points in every game, we're doing well guys. Really can't do anything but beat Palace next weekend though.

MY
EYES

Think you need to read up what outclassed means.

We got utterly bummed, but at no point was there a gulf in class.

We need players who are confident on the ball and can pick a pass, Some if not all of our players today struggled making easy passes

A CM and Striker are a must
Agree with this. Barry, when he gets on the ball is pretty good distribution wise. He just isn't getting there against teams with better engine rooms. Means McCarthy is busting his gut to cover as well.

It's a synonym of 'outplay', not the same thing...or they wouldn't be two words.

One means that something is in a separate classification to the other (ie, Spurs, in your example, are a class above us). Now that's a pretty unsubtle term to use for something that can change so quickly like a game of football between two equal teams...which is what happened and why 'outplayed' is the more apt term to use.

If you were talking about Barcelona versus Everton here and they put in the same first half performance as Spurs did, then you'd be within reason to say it was a gulf in class...because we know their standards are not going to slip...they could do that 9 times out of 10 to us or more.

on the wings. Pienaar and Mirallas have been woeful rhis season

Can't say it's 2 points lost because spurs were easily the better team for 70% of the game, a point keeps it tight at the top and a win next week and hopefully a few points lost elsewhere will make this result look pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.